Building a new "adventure vehicle" or I guess, my retirement exploration vehicle.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Well, heading out for my first major adventure in the vehicle tomorrow. Heading up to Superior NF, the reports say the salmon run is hot and is only going to get better. I am meeting up with a childhood friend who just retired from Real Tree as their editor and is now a freelance outdoors writer and we are going to do a little salmon fishing and grouse hunting before he has to make it to a Grouse Camp hosted by Federal Ammo for some outdoors writers, I am invited to hang with them if I want. The weather reports show that I will be able to get away from this southwest GA heat and humidity plus my buddy knows where some spectacular smallmouth fishing is up there. Hunted down one of my cameras and hopefully will have some photos other than those shot with my cell phone.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Well, as I sit in camp here in what is now a blustery, cold Kentucky morning, Now that I have safely made it back below the Mason-Dixon Line and the Yankee threat is minimal, I can reflect back upon my first major trip in my vehicle.

IMPRESSIONS

With regards to the vehicle, well, it met all expectations. Thursday morning as I was finishing up my Ruffed Grouse hunt and cleaning the bird I bagged, a storm hit, howling winds, dropping temperatures, blowing rain and hail. I had camp broke just in time to drive through this storm down a sketchy shot out logging road to meet some writers in the Outdoors industry to include one who worked for GON when it was a new publication back in the 1980s at their camp on Devil's Track Lake. They took pictures and asked a lot of questions about my vehicle. We drank a glass of Whisky and then I left their camp and started heading south making it to northern/middle Wisconsin where I made camp for the night. The I-Overlander app on my Garmin has saved me many a night searching for somewhere to park my rig so I can get some sleep. I will probably be tweaking storage on my vehicle until the day I die. I am one of those people who always over pack, gear & clothing, no matter how hard I try not to. All in all the vehicle handled whatever I threw at it, and it kept on going.

With regards to Minnesota, well, it ain't South Georgia. First off, if you go to chase a Salmon run, well, this time of year Pink/Humpies are everywhere but they are hard to get to bite. They do bite though and they are rather fun on a 5 wt. fly rod. You can actually fight them off the reel and you will use your drag. If you are hunting any other Salmon on the shores of Minnesota, you are gonna have to fish the lake, apparently some Coho and Steelhead will come into the streams to feed on the Pinks' spawn, but that it is. You see, the furthest upstream a Salmon can go in this part of the Superior drainage is roughly half a mile if they are lucky, due to topography all the rivers and creeks have waterfalls on them within half a mile, if not less, of the lake that is a barrier for upstream movement. Ironically I got to Minnesota the day before the "stream" trout season closed (above the barrier) and did not get to chase brook trout. So if you are wanting a "wilderness experience" this time of year in Minnesota, stick to hunting.386728770_10218714511092854_5166969980310149869_n.jpg385487067_10218698512612902_7110239753311485409_n.jpg386460454_10218714836620992_3816334328342552930_n.jpg386744418_10218718582714642_6130876754089650636_n.jpg386343390_10218714837581016_7429896757199286109_n.jpg386556697_10218715190309834_6851840696590989855_n.jpg386991852_10218715939768570_3123749909161766133_n.jpg387111645_10218718581634615_3292876290513166794_n.jpg387157345_10218715939168555_8871259833060992860_n.jpg387221994_10218718848241280_512369765975784339_n.jpg

Now for the hunting, hunting Ruffed Grouse without a dog is not as hard as you would think. I felt bad leaving my dog in GA, but she is almost 14 years old and I do not think she would be up to the drive up there and back. What you do, is "still hunt" and if there are any birds near you, they will flush. I did hear drumming (I did not know they did it this time of year, but apparently they do it a little bit) and would work my way towards the sound (more of a feel than a sound, you have to hear it to know what I am saying). I flushed a few, but only shot at one and fortunately I bagged it. Then I went looking for smallmouth bass and northern pike, but without a canoe, that proved a waste of time.

Overall, I had a blast, and I learned that my build is going to be the ultimate hunting and fishing adventure vehicle for me....already thinking about a steelhead/chinook trip to Upstate New York or Michigan for early spring and then a turkey trip out west for late spring.

Last edited:

Doboy Dawg

RBC does your Gladiator have a heavy duty transmission cooler? If not you might consider adding one. The only Jeep upgrade that was constantly problematic for me was the aftermarket solid all aluminum radiators.

I tried several brands and they each cracked and leaked at different joints. I actually went back to a stock Mopar radiator and eliminated that problem. I did manage to burn up a couple of the electric fans.

If you’re running that far off grid packing an extra electric fan, relay, and antifreeze might be something to consider. Possibly even a radiator,, they are a weak point.

Just a few Jeep lessons learned the hard way in the Florida and Georgia Swamps. Oh and pack you a decent OBD 2 code reader. To diagnose those check engine lights.

I also had some issues with the two speed oil pump solenoid sticking, It’s supposed to create high pressure at startup then drop back to normal. If it sticks in the high mode it’ll constantly pump 80-90 oil psi.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
RBC does your Gladiator have a heavy duty transmission cooler? If not you might consider adding one. The only Jeep upgrade that was constantly problematic for me was the aftermarket solid all aluminum radiators.

I tried several brands and they each cracked and leaked at different joints. I actually went back to a stock Mopar radiator and eliminated that problem. I did manage to burn up a couple of the electric fans.

If you’re running that far off grid packing an extra electric fan, relay, and antifreeze might be something to consider. Possibly even a radiator,, they are a weak point.

Just a few Jeep lessons learned the hard way in the Florida and Georgia Swamps. Oh and pack you a decent OBD 2 code reader. To diagnose those check engine lights.

I also had some issues with the two speed oil pump solenoid sticking, It’s supposed to create high pressure at startup then drop back to normal. If it sticks in the high mode it’ll constantly pump 80-90 oil psi.
It has the towing package which comes with that. I was planning on upgrading much of the "innards" over time. I will talk with some Jeep people and kick around some ideas. I monitored my temps the whole trip due to the weight along with distance and everything ran fine on the trip.

Doboy Dawg

I kind of wish they would have went with old school engine belt driven cooling fans. The electric fans are great as long as the blades are not obstructed. To me the old school fans had enough power they could chop through water and light mud. The electric fans don’t like mud they don’t have the power to clear themselves.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I'm looking at the weight difference because I'll be taking some trips out west and trying to save gas and the fact that I'll be alone with no help to load and unload it on the roof. I can cast pretty good from a Kayak, the "sit on top" kind anyway.

Never have tried from a "sit in" like you whitewater in.
Up in Minnesota I ran across really nice, stable canoes that weighed 40lbs and less. They ain't cheap, but ideal for what I would like to have on my explorations. Canoeing is a really big "to do" in Minnesota, much more popular than I would have imagined. It seemed every 3rd vehicle or so had a canoe on its roof, I even saw them on BMW sedans, dangedest thing I even saw.

Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits

I have a 2018 JKUR that has over 130k miles on it, and I have never had any problems with engine of transmission temperature, however, it is a standard transmission. It has explored from the depths of the Everglades, hit pretty much every trail in NW Florida, the mountains of the southeast and a good many "badge" trails in Colorado. That 3.6 has turned out to be a rather dependable engine, they got it right with it. I change all my oil, fluids and filters religiously, I also have snorkels which help with air intake and keep the air filter from getting clogged and uses a "cooler" air source than where the intake normally is. That is actually the primary purpose of snorkels, if you notice you will see them on pretty much every vehicle in dry regions of Africa and Australia, yeah, they help with water, but that is the primary purpose, taking in cleaner, cooler air while keeping the filter relatively dust free.

chrislibby88

Sweet Jeep! Few questions, how did your Bondi ship? I tried ordering a full width back in the spring from 4WP, thing shipped beat to heck and missing half the parts and all the fasteners and hardware. Took 4 months to get my money back. Read a lot on forums that ARB doesn’t package their stuff well.
Would up getting a Warn bumper. They delivered on flat bed. Not a scratch on it.

Also noticed the Bondi skid plate doesn’t actually cover the disconnect. It stops short of the frame horns. You have any concerns with rocks or stumps coming up behind the skid and damaging stuff? I don’t do much rock crawling but I do ride some rocky washed out FS roads, and a lot of dirt WMA roads in mid GA, sometimes through sticks and stumps where they are logging heavy.

chrislibby88

Oh, and why do you need the rear bumper with tire carrier? I’ve read you can stuff some of the smaller 37s in the factory spare location under the bed. 35s fit without issue from what I’ve read. Are you using that space for other stuff?

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Sweet Jeep! Few questions, how did your Bondi ship? I tried ordering a full width back in the spring from 4WP, thing shipped beat to heck and missing half the parts and all the fasteners and hardware. Took 4 months to get my money back. Read a lot on forums that ARB doesn’t package their stuff well.
Would up getting a Warn bumper. They delivered on flat bed. Not a scratch on it.

Also noticed the Bondi skid plate doesn’t actually cover the disconnect. It stops short of the frame horns. You have any concerns with rocks or stumps coming up behind the skid and damaging stuff? I don’t do much rock crawling but I do ride some rocky washed out FS roads, and a lot of dirt WMA roads in mid GA, sometimes through sticks and stumps where they are logging heavy.
Nah, I don't have any concerns, I do not rock crawl, I do hit some sketchy trails, especially in the Rocky Mountains or the Great Basin, but never had an issue on any of my Jeeps with that happening and I use basically the same bumper.

The bumper shipped good, no issues nor damage. I have never had issues with ARB, but I am almost a regular customer for them....lol. I use lots of Australian and South African components in all my builds.

Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Oh, and why do you need the rear bumper with tire carrier? I’ve read you can stuff some of the smaller 37s in the factory spare location under the bed. 35s fit without issue from what I’ve read. Are you using that space for other stuff?
I have gone to change flats twice on trucks I have owned and the spare was flat. One time a deer shed was piercing it (nice shed, I still have it) and another time something I traversed just cut the sidewall. I want to get my spare out from under the bed.

basshappy

BANNED
Someone I think already mentioned it, but I second having two spare wheels. When I was tooling around the top end of Australia I had two spares, and I needed them one time, and had I not had two I would have been a bit unhappy.

Last edited:

chrislibby88

I have gone to change flats twice on trucks I have owned and the spare was flat. One time a deer shed was piercing it (nice shed, I still have it) and another time something I traversed just cut the sidewall. I want to get my spare out from under the bed.
Ahh, makes sense. Guess you are more likely to bump that section on the ground than anywhere else.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Dang it RBC you got it going on!!

I have enjoyed this whole build/wheeling thread.
Thanks! As I have said before I have been trying to figure out the best build for what I like to do since the 1980s after a trip to Alaska. I have explored and tried different build concepts, but they all feel short until Jeep came out with the Gladiator Rubicon and Alu Cab made a fitment kit for the Gladiators.

When it comes to offroad pickups, there are none on the US market that can compete with the Gladiator Rubicon, and Alu Cab has always made sturdy, robust products, and have been doing so for decades, that are made to stand up to the wilds of Africa. My way of thinking is if they can handle the wilds of Africa, well, here in the US is a cake walk.

As for the modifications for the Gladiator itself, I went almost exclusively with Australian products, suspension, replacement bumper and auxiliary fuel tank, because in my experience, (The brakes however are South African Brakes built for Rally Races, which involve heavy vehicles offroad for long distances) Australian offroad products have all been tested in some of the harsher environments and put through the test of time. I do believe I have found my replacement rear bumper now, it is Australian made for US market Gladiators, you can put two tire carriers on it and I have seen one now (actually in the last week) which is probably the first one in the States and it was designed to work with the Alu Cab (and will work with all others too, or without a canopy camper). Now it is going to be a task trying to get one, but I have reached out to the company and hopefully I will be able to get one soon.

I would love to buy American products but, our manufacturers are just now starting to build items for heavy vehicles for extended periods of time offroad. Frankly there are only a couple that I considered, but their price point is prohibitive right now, Icon is making a heck of a suspension, but it cost about twice what the Dobinsons does and other than being able to adjust the shocks via blue tooth, it is basically the same capabilities.

Last edited: