Dove field planning

1gr8buildit

Wanting recommendations for the ultimate legal dove field. We had great results this past year with sunflowers. However, we have the land and resources to experiment with other options. It would be interesting to plant multiple plots of different types to observe what they prefer throughout the season. We also need instruction on how to maintain and prep. Willing to try those ideas that you have always wanted to try but never got to it. We have water with a pond in shotgun range. Many roost trees. And a power line through the sunflowers. Plans are to plant several different types once recommendations are in. Also would like to know what has the potential to provide for the late season. The sunflowers did not provide any draw for the late season. All ideas greatly appreciated. I have read through all of the old relative post. However, for example, millet was mentioned often but no guidance on when to plant/ how/prep/timing . Thanks in advance

catch22

in super SW ga, early season hunts are over millet and sunflowers as well as corn. almost all late season is over peanuts. I would assume that a well maintained corn field that has been burned and no weeds allowed to grow would produce late season

catch22

and to further answer your question......doves like a clean maintained field. The best late season peanut fields are constantly dragged with homemade equipment to keep the ground free of weeds and to constantly crack the peanuts that were not harvested.

1gr8buildit

How many acres are you working with?
Got 20+acres of open field. Trying to decide how much of it to withhold from the farmer that usually farms it. Last year he had corn so 2 acres of sunflowers in the middle of cut corn was sweet. But wanting to add more this year and experiment

basstrkr

One plan could be to plant wheat this winter(like right now) and let stand until September. Provides food now and in late spring through the summer and its a good cover crop. 2-4 D can be used for weed control. Brown top millet planted in late April will grow tall and thick. Provides summer feed and keeps weeds under control. June planting of millet gives food in Sept. These could be done on 2 to 4 acre strips and plant sunflowers same as you did last year. Birds will come to wheat and millet without mowing but mowing 2 weeks prior to shoot is best.
Late season birds are finicky, one of the best shoots I've been on was soybeans that were not harvested, but were mowed in November.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
One plan could be to plant wheat this winter(like right now) and let stand until September. Provides food now and in late spring through the summer and its a good cover crop. 2-4 D can be used for weed control. Brown top millet planted in late April will grow tall and thick. Provides summer feed and keeps weeds under control. June planting of millet gives food in Sept. These could be done on 2 to 4 acre strips and plant sunflowers same as you did last year. Birds will come to wheat and millet without mowing but mowing 2 weeks prior to shoot is best.
Late season birds are finicky, one of the best shoots I've been on was soybeans that were not harvested, but were mowed in November.
That was going to be my suggestion as well. Have feed on the ground for them from early summer through fall.