Buck with 5-Gallon Bucket Stuck in Antlers???

BornToHuntAndFish

Any guesses as to how anyone thinks this nice buck ended up this way in the 2 photos?

Looks like he may have to wait to shed his antlers to get rid of that bucket on his head.:bounce: Wonder how this is impacting his navigation thru the woods or if it's throwing him off balance a little bit, especially when he leans over to eat or drink water.

Details & pics from:

http://www.american-hunter.com/2009/02/12/buckethead-buck

Buckethead Buck
Posted on February 12th, 2009 by Dan Jackson

Tags: Awesome Antlers //

This is one of the funniest trail cam pictures I have ever seen - I can only imagine how that happend …

Attachments

• Buck Buckethead1.jpg
    Buck Buckethead1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 10,162
  • Buck Buckethead2.jpg
    Buck Buckethead2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 13,553

Chris 195 7/8 B&C

:bounce::bounce: That is too funny! I'm betting that bucket had corn in it at one time or another. For his sake I hope it doesn't still have something in it.

bull0ne

Banned
When the deer start bring YOU another bucket.............that's a good sign that you need to bring more corn next time. :rofl: :rofl:

gspbrad

Find the bucket.........you find his sheds :banana:

sman

Funny, man that is a nice buck. Wonder if someone put the bucket a little to close to his rub line and he just go carried away.

rsm

Maybe he is carrying water and food back to thicket so he can bed down longer.

cball917

i guess you can get a really good idea on his inside spread dimensions

Killdee

Might either be a bucket someone was sitting on or an empty hydraulic? fluid bucket loggers are known to leave in the woods.

Handgunner

Adds a whole new meaning to "buckethead".. :bounce:

Browtine

Some of 'em get crazy with items in the woods, yards, etc... My Dad had some fake geese in his yard as part of a landscape. A buck kept pushing them up with it's antlers. Never got them stuck like that bucket is, but it threw them around pretty good. He thought someone was messing with them until he saw the deer there. :bounce:

BornToHuntAndFish

From Scott Bestul @ Field & Stream

1 of the 2 photos was posted also at:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2009/02/bucktracker-bucket-head

February 11, 2009

BuckTracker: Bucket Head

Over the years, I’ve seen pictures of bucks with all sorts of paraphernalia tangled in their racks; tree branches and limbs, barbed (and other) wire, even the head of another buck! The latter was a documented case, by the way; a hunter shot a buck that had apparently locked antlers with another deer, which had died. Somehow the live buck had been able to twist the dead buck’s head off the carcass and escape. The operating theory was that coyotes had eaten through much of the neck. Why the live buck was ignored by the coyotes is a mystery.

The photo here shows nothing that dramatic, but it is the first I’ve seen of a five-gallon pail stuck in whitetail antlers. The bucket is obviously deteriorated enough to make it entirely plausible that a curious (or simply feisty) buck could get his tines entangled in the plastic.

Or, of course, this is yet another example of someone having fun with their photo shop skills. So what do you think? Real or no? Any good stories of bucks with junk snagged up in their antlers?

Comments (26)

seaweaver

Might either be a bucket someone was sitting on or an empty hydraulic? fluid bucket loggers are known to leave in the woods.
That's what I was thinking.
Hog feeders are like that too.
You hang them from a tree so the hog has to stand and buck the corn out of a small hole.
Perhaps the deer learned from hogs and tore the line.
cw

bublewis

Can you please tell me where that buck(et) was last sighted, I would like my feeder back. I can't afford them fancy Moultrie feeders in this here economy!