Longbow versus Recurve

Nugefan

I guess it's like a cotton pickin' gun ...

which do ya favor and 'splain a little to me why you like each .....

I am wanting a long bow but see quite a lot of folks shooting a recurve .....

and what about arras , can you same arras in longbow and recurve with same poundage and draw length .....

ky_longbow

i like 'em both, i shoot a longbow more often than my recurves and yes alot of my bows will digest the same carbon arrow.
i like the longbow for quietness and to me it just feels better in the hand, and i like the recurve because its shorter and can be shot more easily from a ground blind, and to me im more accurate with a curve and they tend to be a tad bit faster.........BUT if you want the best of both worlds go with a hybrid longbow.........just my
.02 worth

van_fl

A recurve is only a more efficient long bow, on the other hand the gap has closed in resent years. Long bows are easer to make hunting silent. However with A recurve and proper tuning of bow and arrow they can be just a quiet. I shoot both for hunting , It just depends on the day If I go with the long bow or the recurve. With the long bow I keep my hunting shots under 30 yards. With the recurve I am good to 40 or more I know most will take me to task abut shooting over 30 yards, However I have proved myself for the last 50 years of shooting a bow.

frankwright

Mainly personal preference but I will say there are only some people that can shoot both equally well.
I started with a recurve way back when but soon went to a longbow as it just seemed to be calling me.

I own 5 longbows and the only recurve I have is an Bear Minuteman that a friend gave me and he said Fred gave it to his dad.
I think some recurves are a thing of beauty and I have always liked the looks of the Big Horns but I just like shooting a longbow better.
Longbows are more sensitive to arrows as most are not cut to center but carbon arrows will probably work in both.
A recurve is a little handier in a tree or a ground blind for sure and I think it ie easier to transition from a compond to a recurve as the handles are more similar than a longbow.
Just shoot what you like, it's all fun!

PAPALAPIN

Purely personal choice.

I have all recurves and have never had any interest in longbows.

By contrast there are many out there that shoot longbows and would give no consideration for recurves.

Both have their pros and cons, but it pretty much boils down to what "YOU" like best.

Apex Predator

Longbows are quieter, lighter, and easier to carry in the field, for me. String contact on the limbs is what makes recurves louder. Longbows can be as fast or faster than a recurve. If you are going through 100 bows randomly picked off of E-bay, with half of them being recurves, the recurves will average higher speeds, but the very fastest, most efficient limbs made today are on a longbow.

2wheelfoster

I shoot both also. I can't decide which one I like the best. My long bow shoots great and I am getting use to my recurve. The more I shoot it the better I like it. I guess I will keep em both! The recurve does shoot faster than my long bow, but, 13+ lbs. heavier draw weight will do that! I agree with the others, shot what ya like and shoot often!

dpoole

Andy shoot what you got !

Al33

If you look at scores from traditional archery competitions you will find that the Mens recurve classes generally have higher scores than the men's longbow classes. That tells me they are more accurate, collectively speaking. I shot recurves most of my life but now favor the longbows. One of the things I like the most about a longbow is that I do not have to use a bow stringer to string one up. Stringing up a recurve without a stringer is a bad idea.

BkBigkid

strictly a personal Preference.

I have a bunch of Recurves and only one Long Bow.
Stringing is Easier with a Long Bow.
Accuracy is what you Practice with.
Pick what you Like and shoot shoot shoot. You can't go wrong either way

bam_bam

I prefer a lonbow due to reasons stated above. Quieter, fast, and dont have to use a blame stringer.

robert carter

At one time I thought I was a better shot with a recurve but I`m not sure thats the case over the last 5 or so years. I enjoy hunting with a longbow so much more than a recurve.As others have said the ease of stringing as well as the quiet factor. I can shoot a longbow and kill a critter and not remember anchoring or the release.Its automatic , without thinking. With a recurve I tend to shoot slower and remember each step of the shot. Sounds crazy I know but I`ll go with automatic - shooting without thinking. It fills the freezer for me.RC

dutchman

You'll find out in the morning, if you didn't already know...

bam_bam

So what did you decide on Andy? Longbow or Recurve.

Al33

After watching Andy shoot yesterday me thinks he is gonna be a longbow shooter all the way.;) Heck, knowing him like I do I spect he will be a self bow shooter before it's over with.:biggrin2:

Jake Allen

:clap:
After watching Andy shoot yesterday me thinks he is gonna be a longbow shooter all the way.;) Heck, knowing him like I do I spect he will be a self bow shooter before it's over with.:biggrin2:

:cool: I agree Al. He shot well, and with authority! :banana:

Taking lessons learned from the crack dealer of Traditional Archery, (Al), we baited Andy with good equipment.
He shot the first 2 rounds with an Apex Predator and fine carbons,
third round with a Howard Hill Cougar and beautiful
cedars. :biggrin3: That ought to be agin' the rules. :whip:

dutchman

Taking lessons learned from the crack dealer of Traditional Archery, (Al), we baited Andy with good equipment.

Can you say "gut hooked?":biggrin3:

Al33

I didn't give him any lessons that I recall but I do recall an encouraging team effort from you, Dutchman, pinenut, Dennis, and others.:cool:

Nugefan

So what did you decide on Andy? Longbow or Recurve.

longbow all the way so far .... although like Al said , I like them stick bows ....

with cedar arras and I am set .....

baited to say the least , I really appreciate all the help and encourgement from everyone ..... and the loaning me there tools of the trade .....

Can you say "gut hooked?":biggrin3:

who me .....:huh: :rofl::cool::fine::flag: