Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 Damage At 45Yds

Brad C.

This may be a little graphic for some. But I wanted to show you doubters that think 7's are too small to kill a turkey at longer distances. This should clear up those doubts.

I shot this bird this morning at approx 45yds. It may have been 50yds. I never measured it, but I am typically pretty accurate by what my first estimate is since I have had a lot of marking off practices. But we will call it 45yds.

DSCF0066_Small_2_.jpg

DSCF0073_Small_.jpg

DSCF0070_Small_2_.jpg

The neck was toast and I'm going to say several pass throughs by the looks of it. It was a mess and I didn't feel like getting any messier than what I already was.

Here's some breast damage which I didn't want, but it was unavoidable when you are hunting public land. You can't fool around and not take a shot when someone can be only seconds from sending this gobbler packing.

DSCF0069_Small_.jpg

Here was the 23 shot that I dug out of the breast that stayed in the bird. Some went in farther than others and some passed through. I shot this bird on the right side, so I errored earlier in saying no pass throughs. For it looks like several shot did pass through the top of breast and the front.

DSCF00760_Small_.jpg

Last edited:

Brad C.

I fixed my post. I shot this bird on the right side, so that means that some of those 7's passed through towards the top of the breast.

Brad C.

You can see on this picture below the shot that tore through the breast and where I hit him pretty good and caused some of the breast damage in the picture above on the opposite side. This was the side of the bird that was facing me at an angle.

DSCF0058_Medium_.jpg

Last edited:

deerslayer357

I'd say that's pretty good penetration.

Gadget

Those hevi-13 7's look more round and uniform than any other hevishot load I've cut open or seen posted previously, maybe they've improved their manufacturing process.

goblr77

The Hevi-13 #6's I recovered in one of my birds were uniform and round as well. From what I have heard about earlier loads I was expecting different looking shot.

Brad C.

The Hevi-13 #6's I recovered in one of my birds were uniform and round as well. From what I have heard about earlier loads I was expecting different looking shot.

All I know is that shot doesn't deform when going in a turkey or out the other side. :cool:

Latest posts