How I can deer meat.

jigman29

I have saw a few threads wondering how to can deer meat so I figured I would show how I do it.

first I take an average sized deer ham and clean off all the fat an connective tissue I can off of it.
DSCF3433.jpg

Then I cut it into bite sized pieces an inch or so in diameter,it's really up to you.

DSCF3434.jpg

next I raw pack into jars and you can season as you wish but I only put a teaspoon of salt.Do not add water,then put on lids.
DSCF3435.jpg

Finally I put into a pressure canner at 15lb. of pressure for 45 minutes,then remove when the canner has cooled and place on a towel till it completely cools and check for a seal.If it doesn't seal put a new lid on it and boil for about 10 minutes in a hot water bath it should seal fine.I hope this helps if you have any more questions feel free to p.m. me.

DSCF3436.jpg

garnede

Thanks for the post.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Good post.....is that liquid in the jars just from pressure cooking it....natural juices???

meherg

only thing i do different is i run mine for 90 min instead of 45

jigman29

I guess I should have added that if it's an old or tough deer it should be left for up to 90 minutes as meherg said above.sorry I forgot to add that.

No peekin

Never canned meat so it may sound like a silly question, but is this stored at room temp and how do you prepare later.Thanks in advance as I do can vegetables and very interested in this.

Brian Groce

Never canned meat so it may sound like a silly question, but is this stored at room temp and how do you prepare later.Thanks in advance as I do can vegetables and very interested in this.

I keep it on the bottom shelf in the kitchen cabinet.
You can open it up and eat it right out of the jar.

jigman29

I keep it with my other canned foods and have kept it for two years and it was still fine.I eat it straight out of the jar for a quick snack and will also heat it with a little bbq for a quick meal.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
it is jam up stuff heated and poured over rice.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Never stray from the minimum pressure cooking time requirements listed in the manual for the pressure cooker. 75 min for pints and 90 minutes for quarts. Botulism is no joke. NEVER can, or reseal, meat or any low acid food in a water bath canner. The pressure is the only way to reach the appropriate temps to kill botulism spores.

We do this with all of our deer and it is my favorite. The only flaw I have is I only get about 10 jars from 1 deer. I am picky about the meat that goes into the jar. I reccomend this way for all hunters. The meat lasts longer in the jar than freezer. And if the freezer goes bad, the meat is still good.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I do the exact same thing, except I can mine for 90 minutes.

All time favorite preparation with canned meat is to open a jar, drain the juice, warm the meat in a skillet over low heat, then pour brown mushroom gravy over the meat. Let it simmer and then pour it over a bed of rice. Mmmmm.... good stuff.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I do the exact same thing, except I can mine for 90 minutes.

All time favorite preparation with canned meat is to open a jar, drain the juice, warm the meat in a skillet over low heat, then pour brown mushroom gravy over the meat. Let it simmer and then pour it over a bed of rice. Mmmmm.... good stuff.

your singing my song now :clap:

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
We do this with all of our deer and it is my favorite. The only flaw I have is I only get about 10 jars from 1 deer. I am picky about the meat that goes into the jar. I reccomend this way for all hunters. The meat lasts longer in the jar than freezer. And if the freezer goes bad, the meat is still good.
This is the MAIN reason I like canning, sooooo..............
:cool: If I can get my hands on 1- pressure cooker (not in the budget at this time) and 2- a deer, I am going to do this!:cool: