What A Great Day In The Woods!

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
I have debated a lot over whether or not I wanted to make this post. Most of the time, I keep my family to myself. I decided to share this with the forum. A little while back another forum member shared something about his Dad that changed my 2010 deer hunting season. Because of his post, I made a sincere effort to get my Dad back in the woods. My Dad turned 70 yrs. old last month. He hadn't shot a deer in 32 years. He hadn't even shot one of his rifles in over 20 yrs.... My Dad used to love hunting. I remember him going to Wyoming each year to hunt mule deer and elk during the early 70's. But we had never hunted together. The day before rifle season opened I asked my son to help me build another ground blind. My old one was washed away in the flood of 2009. In one day we used plywood salvaged from gutting my house after the same flood, and we built a nice blind big enough for 2 people to hunt. I asked my Dad if he would go hunting with me. I was so excited when he said yes! Since then we have hunted together almost every week. We hunt from daylight until 10:30 or later on Friday and Saturday mornings. We have seen a lot of deer and turkeys. Last Friday was an awesome day in the woods... we saw 14 different deer, all coming from the hardwood sloughs, through the narrow food plot, and heading into a thick overgrown field. The first deer we saw was a 3 legged doe at 250 yards. The second deer stepped out at 125 yards. It was a spike. I told my Dad if he wanted it, to shoot. He pulled the trigger :shoot: It hit the ground DRT! :fine: A few minutes later another larger buck stepped out to investigate... He wasn't a buck I wanted to shoot but I had a hard time not pulling the trigger because I knew it would be fun to get a double with my Dad. I took a picture instead. Shortly thereafter the turkeys showed up and we took more pictures... Then my son, my daughter and my granddaughter all came to congratulate my Dad on his deer :cheers: All of this came about because another forum member shared something about his Dad. I'm hoping that my post will encourage even one member to make an effort to get their Dad back in the woods. My Dad and I have had so much fun. He is retired and it has given him something to look forward to. We have made some great memories too :)

Attachments

• Daddy'sbuck1.jpg
    Daddy'sbuck1.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 2,355
  • Daddy'sbuck2.jpg
    Daddy'sbuck2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2,353
  • Daddy'sbuck3.jpg
    Daddy'sbuck3.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 2,341
  • Daddy'sbuck8.jpg
    Daddy'sbuck8.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2,350
  • Daddy'sbuck4.jpg
    Daddy'sbuck4.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 2,352
  • Daddy'sbuck4a.jpg
    Daddy'sbuck4a.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 2,341
  • Daddy'sbuck5.jpg
    Daddy'sbuck5.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 2,336
  • Daddy'sbuck6.jpg
    Daddy'sbuck6.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 2,344

DEERFU

I thought we were all family here(good and bad):huh::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: Great story and pics Ms.Debbie, glad you posted 'em. Wish my dad was here to go huntin' with me!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
:cool: Great stuff, Boots, thanks for sharing-that's what it's all about. Fine looking family you have there, too.

KDarsey

Great Post.
I know it makes you proud.

hunter_58

great post !!!

djackson67

awsome

glad you took the time to make that memory with him Deb.
you nor him will ever forget it.:cheers:

southwoodshunter

Very cool... wish my daddy were here also so I could take him hunting.. he would be proud.
So glad you took your dad Debbie.. I bet he is enjoying it as much as you are.. :love:

gordylew

Great post and awesome pics.

Jasper

Great post and Great pics!

Way to go........memories for life!

HawgWild23

Ever since I was 12 years old (31 now) I hunted with my dad and loved it. Five years ago my parents got a divorce my dad moved to South Carolina and has not return to Georgia. I have tried over and over to get him to go hunting with me but he would never go. I would be beside myself if he would go with me 1 time. sorry for taking up on your post. But I glad y'all got to hunt together. Congarts on your hunt.

Robert Warnock

Both of my children are boys, but I've always heard that the bond between Daughters and fathers is special. I know he appreciates your getting him back into hunting. And I hope ya'll share many future hunts.

Twiggbuster

Thanks for sharing!Great photos too!
I took my dad( 83 yrs old) this year. First time he'd been in 12 yrs. Put him in the best stand we had. Thought I needed to check on him around 10:30 in case he wasnt holdin out too well. Got to the bottom of the stand and he said "no, I think I'll hunt another hr or two. I said ok and went to the truck to shed some clothes , then BOOM!!! He fired off at a doe at 11:00. He missed as he had to manuver around a overhanging limb we used for cover as the doe had made a move and jumped on a bank. Good times anyway! Ready to see if he wants to go again. He was pretty stove up for a few days. If you can, take your parents and kids hunting with you. Life is short.