Carters Lake 12.30-12.31 HUGE SPOTS

Louie B

Water Temp: 48
Lake Level: 1072.7 (basically full pool, today that is)

I've been out the past few days as previously reported. This report is for Thurs/Friday.

After Wednesday evening I decided to spend my Thursday trip looking for deep fish. I don't like fishing blind while on a trip but Rick and Angela Graham are regulars w/ me and are just as much in to the "hunt" as I am so they are always cool to try something different in hopes of the ultimate reward. It took us a while on Thursday but we managed to find a couple of good deep schools and put some really nice fish in the boat. Angela boated her biggest spot ever on Thursday a healthy 5lb spot, the fish was 55ft deep over an 80ft bottom. She must be living right because during their last trip with me 2 weeks ago Angela boated a 7lb 1oz Largemouth which was also a personal best for her. We ended the day boating around a dozen spots but quality was awesome. This was Rick and Angela's 12th trip with me in 2010, I just want to say THANKS again you two. Thanks for your patience yesterday too :) On a side note from Thursday, my tournament partner Bill Payne spent a half day on the water and caught 6 spots, mid depth 15-20ft on fish heads and grubs he also had a few big spots including a 5lb+

I had a cancelation for today so I decided to fish my first tournament since the 1st week of October. Chris H and I started really slow not filling a limit till lunch but ended up culling all of our fish by 3pm. We finished 2nd w/ 14.57lbs, Willie Fortner and partner won w/ 15something.

Chris and I fished water from 5ft-80ft w/ everything that we could get down to em. We caught over 20 keepers for the day mostly on Red Rooster drop shot flys, flutter spoons, and fish heads. We tried the float n fly for the first couple of hours w/ no takers. I'm afraid that bite is on a runaway train headed down hill. Maybe Robbie can make a magic fly that produces regardless of how deep the fish are.

Here's a few pics, the 2nd photo is her 5lbr no justice it was a big fish, the first 3 are all different fish. The last pic is of Chris and I today. I have some unbelievable sonar snapshots from a school or two today, I'll add em later. Happy New Years.

LB

Attachments

• 12.30.10.2.jpg
    12.30.10.2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 888
  • 12.30.10Angela.jpg
    12.30.10Angela.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 858
  • 12.30.10.4.jpg
    12.30.10.4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 871
  • 12.31.10.jpg
    12.31.10.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 863

Louie B

Man them are some nice spots. Good post. Sorry about the Titans Sweater LOL

Yeah I know but, the Titans jersey does kind of go along with the fishing theme since that is what they'll be doing after Sunday LOL. Chris is a big Vince Young fan right Chris ::ke: Bawhahahah !!!!

Go Falcons !!!!

LB

Chris H.

Yeah I know but, the Titans jersey does kind of go along with the fishing theme since that is what they'll be doing after Sunday LOL. Chris is a big Vince Young fan right Chris ::ke: Bawhahahah !!!!

Go Falcons !!!!

LB

So rude !!!! Titan Up or go home !!!!

Randall

I was at Bass Pro Shop a few days back looking around and heard someone say "slime ball" twice from the other side of the shelf where I was looking around. I rounded the corner expecting to see Louie around somewhere. Instead Angela was there telling the story of her big largemouth so I had to go over and introduce myself, shake her hand and give her congrats on the big fish. Looks like she outfished the men again.:clap: Congrats to all. Those are some great fish.

Cletus T.

Very Nice LB......even though the bite has turned south...you still get a hook in their mouth!

Congrats to you and your clients.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

butter bass

nice ! I always enjoy your posts.

Louie B

I was at Bass Pro Shop a few days back looking around and heard someone say "slime ball" twice from the other side of the shelf where I was looking around. I rounded the corner expecting to see Louie around somewhere. Instead Angela was there telling the story of her big largemouth so I had to go over and introduce myself, shake her hand and give her congrats on the big fish. Looks like she outfished the men again.:clap: Congrats to all. Those are some great fish.

LOL ! That is great Randall. They are fine people and love fishing and talking fishing. Angela caught the 5lb spot on Thursday and when she first hooked it the fish ran straight out ripping drag 30 yds away from the boat, I looked at her and said "that aint no slime ball" after a few more minutes and it was in the boat she finally understood why I love spotted bass.

Randall, give me a call later please....

LB

Louie B

LB do you think the FnF bite will come back like it was?

I'm not very optimistic. This has been a crazy fall/winter. The air temps have been a bit cooler on average than last year but the water temperature is running nearly identical to what it was this time last year. The FnF bite held until the 3rd week of January in 09' until the water temp reached 45-46. We are at 47-48 now. Also in 09' just before the FnF bite died my jerkbait bite shut off. I'm not sure it means anything but my jerkbait bite has been dead for 2+ weeks.

I'm seeing most of the bait really deep, that is not a good sign for the fly bite. However that is a great sign for the drop shot fly bite and anyone who likes to sonar fish. I may not make another forward cast for 2 months. :D

January is gonna be a tough month to fish but they can still be caught and caught in big numbers if you are patient and persistent.

LB

Louie B

I'm not very optimistic. This has been a crazy fall/winter. The air temps have been a bit cooler on average than last year but the water temperature is running nearly identical to what it was this time last year. The FnF bite held until the 3rd week of January in 09' until the water temp reached 45-46. We are at 47-48 now. Also in 09' just before the FnF bite died my jerkbait bite shut off. I'm not sure it means anything but my jerkbait bite has been dead for 2+ weeks.

I'm seeing most of the bait really deep, that is not a good sign for the fly bite. However that is a great sign for the drop shot fly bite and anyone who likes to sonar fish. I may not make another forward cast for 2 months. :D

January is gonna be a tough month to fish but they can still be caught and caught in big numbers if you are patient and persistent.

LB

Here's a picture from todays trip. I was out with Matt Eaton of Cohutta, GA. Matt's wife bought him a half day trip for Christmas.

We sonar sight fished with the Humminbird 1197 the entire time boating some nice spots on drop shots and spoons. Temp was 47 and lake level was 2ft over full. ALL our fish we boated today were 40-60ft suspended over much deeper water. Nothing on the bottom today.

On a side note, if you are one of the boat owners like myself who doesn't have a "float" on your boat key chain, do yourself a favor and put one on there. It is possible for your boat keys to manage to get into the water even if you never pull the key out of the ignition. Trus me . :banginghe

LB

Attachments

• 01.02.10.jpg
    01.02.10.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 440

russ010

oh man... did you drop your keys in the water? How do you make it back to the ramp when you do that, on a trolling motor?

Good fish though!

Louie B

oh man... did you drop your keys in the water? How do you make it back to the ramp when you do that, on a trolling motor?

Good fish though!

Russ, that is what happened... Kind of.... It was a freak accident really, I've never heard of anything like this happening.

I was idleing across a creek and marked some fish, I put the boat in reverse then into neutral and turned off the motor. I then pulled my hand away from the key to grap a rod I had on side of the boat and all I can figure happened was the keys caught on my jacket sleeve and when I pulled away from the ignition they went from my jacket sleeve right into the water :(

Not a fun day after that. Luckily a guy I knew on the lake towed us back. Not a lot I could do about that, other than put a floating key chain on my next set. Which will be done this week

LB