Crappie Camp Lake Oconee 2023 in the scrapbook!

basshappy

BANNED
30-30 Ministries hosted their Crappie Camp on Lake Oconee last weekend. Six blessed children were chosen to attend this camp and spend a weekend together with 30-30 representatives, fishing guides, and family/friends. My boy was one of these fortunate children and what an experience and adventure it was!

If you have not heard of 30-30 Ministries head over to their web site and read it over. What a relevant organization in these days of electronic screen time overload. If you have a child interested in fishing and or hunting sign up for a camp and maybe your loved one will win a spot!

So much work, seen and unseen, was put into Crappie Camp. I can only imagine the hours donated to set up the camp, run it successfully, and provide everything that was so graciously provided. The home-cooked meals were tasty, and my boy was on Cloud 9 at every meal! The fishing guides sharing their vessels and expertise with the children - God bless them and their families for giving their time on Saturday and Sunday to get these kids on the lake and out each and every one of them on the fish. The 30-30 reps on each boat and at camp HQ always there to answer questions and provide inspiration and support.

My boy's captain was the most laid back captain I've ever met. My boy loved him! Captain spent a whole lot of time untangling the lines on 16' Crappie rods, rebaiting, and dodging and ducking Crappie as they were slung into his boat! With a smile on his face every minute. And our 30-30 rep spent his time showing my boy all of the electronics and attempting to hold the boat in position in strong wind and heavy gusts on Saturday. Together our guide and rep were like Laurel and Hardy - just the most fun duo one could want when the bite was closed, when the lines were a mess, and when the boat wasn't running right.

Here are a couple pics from.our adventure.

Friday at the hotel (lodging provided by 30-30!) my boy looking at the water thinking about crappie!

20231013_133537.jpg

Saturday morning ... how did we start? Engine not firing on 4 cylinders. SMH. But our 30-30 rep got it dialed in and all was well.

20231013_133623.jpg

My boy learning about the electronics on the boat.

20231013_133638.jpg

First crappie of camp for my boy!

20231013_133705.jpg

The dynamic duo, Captain and Rep, and my boy with Saturday's catch!

20231013_134222.jpg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Heck yeah , congrats to you and your boy because I know you enjoyed it just as much as he did .
My daughter was fortunate to be picked for 3 of their hunts . So much more than a hunt . I’ve hunted and fished from Ga to Canada and those 3 short weekends are at the top .
I’m not sure there’s a better organization .

basshappy

BANNED
Heck yeah , congrats to you and your boy because I know you enjoyed it just as much as he did .
My daughter was fortunate to be picked for 3 of their hunts . So much more than a hunt . I’ve hunted and fished from Ga to Canada and those 3 short weekends are at the top .
I’m not sure there’s a better organization .

Man it was awesome! Each day was one for the scrapbook, and lookin' back it seemed like if flew by! My boy was tickled with our guide and rep and their banter on the boat - lots of laughs and shenanigans. I don't know how they do it, but I wish every child who wants to do a camp somehow gets picked because the great outdoors, the Lord, the friends and family - just such a positive experience.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Man it was awesome! Each day was one for the scrapbook, and lookin' back it seemed like if flew by! My boy was tickled with our guide and rep and their banter on the boat - lots of laughs and shenanigans. I don't know how they do it, but I wish every child who wants to do a camp somehow gets picked because the great outdoors, the Lord, the friends and family - just such a positive experience.
Yeah i feel the same way . I felt guilty at first for even signing my daughter up because she grew up in the woods or on the water and so many kids never get to experience it . But I quickly realized 3030 was so much more than a hunting or fishing trip .