summit vs. api

meathunter89

Im looking to buyba new treestand before season gets here. I was going to go ahead and buy a summit viper sd. I had a summit viper classic and liked the way they sit and climb. But while flipping through sportsman guide i came across an api climber for 100you dollars cheaper than the summit. My question is. Are the api stands chains comparable to summit stands cables. Do the chains stay out while climbing or do they fold down and make climbing difficult. Thank you in advance.

mtr3333

Banned
I don't have one, but I would guess Summit will be in the majority by a land slide.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Have had and used both, and they're both great stands. The chains climb just fine, never had any trouble with them folding. The API model I have is the Grand Slam. One thing I like slightly better about the API is that it's the flattest-packing stand I've used, nice when you're toting it a long way through thick woods. Setup on a tree is a little quicker with the Summit, but not a lot of difference. The only annoying thing about the API is that the shrink-wrap is bad to wear off the chains after awhile, but no biggie. Both are stable on the tree and comfortable.

SGaither

I've got one each. I bought my API in 1999 and once the factory shrink wrap came off the chains I replaced it with rubber tubing. My API is extremely well made, safe and comfortable. I don't know about the new ones. It is a little heavier than my Summit I bought last year but packs much easier. The chains on the API allow you a greater range of tree diameter vs. the Summit's cable.
I would say the following:
Comfortable sit: tie
Ease of packing in/out: API
Weight: Summit is lighter
Ease of climbing/descending: API
Tree grip-a-bility: Summit
Overall adjustability: API
Ease of putting on a tree on a cold, dark morning: Summit, simply because of no pins to fiddle with.
Most accessories: Summit

This is just my opinion on the two, but remember I'm comparing a brand new Summit Viper (aluminum) to a 13 year old API (aluminum).

Forest Grump

I agree with NCHB & SG:
I have both kinds, but like the post above, my API is an older version, & may not be the same as current ones. The last 2 I bought were summits.(switchblade & 180)

I like the API better. It is much quieter, both walking & climbing. It is smaller. It's much more adjustable to tree size (seems like with summits I spend more time huntin a tree it fits well rather than using the tree I want to hunt from). The summits seem to still be slanted a little too much up or down even then. They should have twice as many ferrules swaged on the cable for more adjustment. My API is much more secure: I never have to worry that the bottom section is gonna turn loose & skitter down the tree when I take my weight off it; with summit it always feels that way, & you should always tie the two together. (when you search on here, look how many times people had that happen with summits)

Over time, API's chain tubing becomes brittle. This makes the chain collapse toward the stand in storage or carry, but not usually when climbing. I would like it if they had a better material for that. I bought summits to have a spare I could leave for short periods locked to the tree & not have to carry them in/out in remote spots. That 180 is a beast & noisy to tote a mile down in brushy woods. The switchblade packs easier but takes longer to set up. Have not had any creaks from either.

I really think the reason more people own summits is better marketing, more hunting show sponsoring, & brand loyalty. (kinda like Chevy v. Ford, both will do what you need, but I like one much better than the other...)

mtr3333

Banned
Or API:bounce: I like my ol' man stands just fine. I guess it's like Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota.

godogs57

Where are each brands made???? Summit is Red, White and Blue.....I believe API, which was bought out by BPS, is made in China.

Have had many of both brands....I'll stick with Summit for over comfort, noise (or lack of), and customer service (which is 2nd to none).

T.P.

Banned
I just retired my first Summit last year(bought in 1990), seat finally gave up to the ghost. I replaced it with another Summit. Never owned an API.

HuntinDawg89

I have an API grand slam supreme or something like that. I bought it in 1999 because I was hunting a big buck in an area with BIG mature trees and there wasn't a single tree I could climb with any of my climbers. There was one huge pine tree that I was still able to climb with my API which allowed me to hunt that buck.

I have not had any problem with the chain in terms of climbing but the shrink wrap does wear off/through. I've never used a modern Summit climber (had an old one with the metal bar) but I like the look of that cable vs. the chain.

tdw3684

Only the aluminum climbind stands from Summit are made in USA. Everything else is imported.

I have both and like both. For long sits I have an API predator (I know I'm getting old) that is the best stand I've tried. When I'm carrying it a long way my lightweight Summit gets the nod.

bpryor

never had a summit, but love my API bowhunter. no front rails, so kinda scary til you get used to it, but weighs about a pound and a half. it has surely spoiled me. good sized bottom platform, easy to climb with and very versatile for tree size.

Kimber

Banned
Good Thread,

I love both and I use them this way.

Summits (Big Trees) - very confortable and great for bigger trees. It does not like small trees, but my favorite of the 2.

API (Small Trees) - very confortable and queit and great for small trees.

frankwright

I have had both the API GS and the Summit Viper. They were both good stands and I never had any problems with either.

The API seemed to fit together and pack better but both are very good.

I pretty much only use the Ol Man with the gun rest/foot rest but I always use the foot rest for comfort.

darkstan

I have Summit 180 and the API GS. Hate, hate and hate the Summit. The API, now there's a treestand you can sit in allllll day. Yes the plastic tubing wears out but you can get replacement tubing on Ebay or just buy the heavy duty chains. It is quiet as any out there and not that bad to pack in and out. I had 2 verterbrate, L4-5 and L5-S1, fused last August and in November I was climbing in my API. Could not do it with the Summit. I might just sell it since it justs lays in a storage rental building. Any offers??

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Summit and API are probably the two most popular stands on the market. I have 2 Summit Vipers. Wouldn't trade either of them for love or money.