Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Default Hit them with your best shot

Whats the best shot u have ever made on a game animal with your bow. Or a shot that u are just proud of. This is your chance to tell your story. Include pics and what equipment made the shot possible . It doesn't have to be a thousand yard shot it could be a 10 yard shot that every thing just came together on. Let's get it going enjoy this thread and use it.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM

View My Video
got them both the same day
Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 AM

My favorite shot was also a squirrel, the first one I ever killed with a bow. My cousin and I used to practice with our bows daily (sadly, we don't get to do this anymore, I was around 12 at the time and he was 8 or 9) and we were shooting off his deck at a McKenzie deer target. We went inside for a drink, and I looked out to see a squirrel on the deer target's back. I slipped back out onto the deck with my bow right as the squirrel hit the ground. He was 16-17 yards away, directly under the target, as I took aim and drilled him. He ran to a tree but didn't make it up.

The reason this is my favorite shot is simple; it was the first time I ever had my body go on autopilot to shoot an animal with a bow. I vaguely remember lining the pin up, but after that everything was a blur. As I said, this was when I could practice shooting for hours a day, and this was when I realized how awesome it is to have your weapon become an extension of your body.

Edit: no pictures, but the bow was a PSE Spyder with an Impact pendulum sight and Tiger Tuff rest. I believe the arrow was an Easton Gamegetter 1816 with 85gr field tip
Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM

I placed what I believe to be a perfect arrow on this small doe last season. It was about a 15 yard shot....she trotted about 15-20 yards and was just standing there. I honestly thought I had missed this deer but she had no clue what happened. After standing there for about 10 seconds she just flopped over and kicked a couple of time then she was done. Nothing I like better then a quick clean kill from a well placed arrow.

Nice thread idea man!
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Love to see them fall in sight
Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 AM

Favorite would be my first bow kill. I shot this buck at 16 yards from my knees and on public land. I was running real late that morning and while stopped trying to pick a tree to climb, I saw the tips of his antlers coming though a thicket my way. I was able to shed my stand from my back, get my release on and pull the shot off when he gave me an opportunity. Been ruined ever since. I remember that excitement like it was yesterday!

I was using an old PSE a good friend loaned me to "try" bowhunting, shooting Gold Tip Expedition Hunters I believe tipped with a Grim Reaper.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Ok here's mine . I was sitting in a pine on the edge of my soybean field I had two pics of a good eight point along with several do pics. My wife was going to have our twins any day so I really needed to tag a good deer quick. It was getting late when it started a light rain that only lasted about 25 minutes . Just as the rain stopped I look to my right and saw a big doe jump the fence an enter the field followed by 3 more as the last doe jumped the fence I came to full draw she took a few steps into the field and I realesed my arrow hitting her right behind the shoulder . She runs out of the field and I realize how far she was . About 40 yards and I only have a 20 and 30 yard pin . I had held my thirty yard pin over her back and shot her perfectly. Just as I started to sit back down I looked to the left corner of the field and the big eight was standing there like a statue I quickly grabed another arrow and started trying to judge the yardage because I didn't own range finders at that time. I judged him at about 55 yards so I came to full draw and placed my thirty yard pin on his shoulder and raised it up to we're I thought my fifty yard pin would be in my sight bracket if I had one . Holding steady I realesed the arrow the deer squats quickly but doesn't run the arrow on its way the buck stands back up to his original height and my arrow connects hitting him perfectly behind his front shoulder completely passing through him. The buck spins and runs out of the field blood gushing from him . I am about to through up from the adrenalin dump from what had just taken place. I had just taken a big eight point at 54 yards and Judged him on the fly with no range finders and with only a 20 and 30 yard pins . Pure practice and knowing my equipment killed those two deer on that day nothing else.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
Favorite would be my first bow kill. I shot this buck at 16 yards from my knees and on public land. I was running real late that morning and while stopped trying to pick a tree to climb, I saw the tips of his antlers coming though a thicket my way. I was able to shed my stand from my back, get my release on and pull the shot off when he gave me an opportunity. Been ruined ever since. I remember that excitement like it was yesterday!

I was using an old PSE a good friend loaned me to "try" bowhunting, shooting Gold Tip Expedition Hunters I believe tipped with a Grim Reaper.
Awsome deer man ur spoiled for life now
Old 07-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gilbert View Post
My favorite shot was also a squirrel, the first one I ever killed with a bow. My cousin and I used to practice with our bows daily (sadly, we don't get to do this anymore, I was around 12 at the time and he was 8 or 9) and we were shooting off his deck at a McKenzie deer target. We went inside for a drink, and I looked out to see a squirrel on the deer target's back. I slipped back out onto the deck with my bow right as the squirrel hit the ground. He was 16-17 yards away, directly under the target, as I took aim and drilled him. He ran to a tree but didn't make it up.

The reason this is my favorite shot is simple; it was the first time I ever had my body go on autopilot to shoot an animal with a bow. I vaguely remember lining the pin up, but after that everything was a blur. As I said, this was when I could practice shooting for hours a day, and this was when I realized how awesome it is to have your weapon become an extension of your body.

Edit: no pictures, but the bow was a PSE Spyder with an Impact pendulum sight and Tiger Tuff rest. I believe the arrow was an Easton Gamegetter 1816 with 85gr field tip
That's awsome that's when u know ur a born killer
Old 07-18-2012, 12:31 PM

We were having a family get together at the family cabin in New Mexico when I was around 15. Down the hill from the cabin was a stump that my Great Grandfather would feed Mountain Blue-Jays on. This stump was about 40 yds away and at around a 40 degree down angle from the patio where we watched them. He had been feeding those birds oatmeal that my Little Granny made for him for over 50 years. One morning while we were on the patio my Granddad bet me $50 that I couldn't hit one of them "Danged Birds". So I gave it a try and stuck one right between the wings nailing it to the stump. My Granddad and Dad were next to me when I shot it and they were both shocked. That little bird made all kinds of racket while it was trying to fly away. What I didn't realize is my Big Papa (Great Grandfather) heard all the noise and came out to see what was going on. When he seen that bird stuck to the stump and me still holding my bow he lost it. I thought this man was going to kill me on the spot. My Dad and Granddad had to get in the way to save me. That’s when my Granddad told him about the beat he had made with me. So he didn't want to kill me anymore. That was the last trip that I ever got to make up there due to joining the Navy until about 4 years ago some 20 years later. It was funny seeing all my cousins that I haven't seen in those 20 years and they would all introduce me to their significant others as the one that shot the Blue-Jay. I made that shot with old PSE Game-Getter and Easton aluminum arrows.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM

I have made a few great shots with a bow in hand...my favorite would have to be when we were bowfishing one night I spotted a water snake swimming dead away from us about 20 yds away ...I shot at it and SMOKED it....my 3 buddies didn't believe me til I pulled it in and put him in the boat ...I talked a lot of smack that night .!!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippygus73 View Post
We were having a family get together at the family cabin in New Mexico when I was around 15. Down the hill from the cabin was a stump that my Great Grandfather would feed Mountain Blue-Jays on. This stump was about 40 yds away and at around a 40 degree down angle from the patio where we watched them. He had been feeding those birds oatmeal that my Little Granny made for him for over 50 years. One morning while we were on the patio my Granddad bet me $50 that I couldn't hit one of them "Danged Birds". So I gave it a try and stuck one right between the wings nailing it to the stump. My Granddad and Dad were next to me when I shot it and they were both shocked. That little bird made all kinds of racket while it was trying to fly away. What I didn't realize is my Big Papa (Great Grandfather) heard all the noise and came out to see what was going on. When he seen that bird stuck to the stump and me still holding my bow he lost it. I thought this man was going to kill me on the spot. My Dad and Granddad had to get in the way to save me. Thatís when my Granddad told him about the beat he had made with me. So he didn't want to kill me anymore. That was the last trip that I ever got to make up there due to joining the Navy until about 4 years ago some 20 years later. It was funny seeing all my cousins that I haven't seen in those 20 years and they would all introduce me to their significant others as the one that shot the Blue-Jay. I made that shot with old PSE Game-Getter and Easton aluminum arrows.
That's just to funny
Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 PM

I love to see them drop in their tracks or hit them so hard with an arrow that they fall.

2-3 years ago I had been hunting this one particular 8pt that was completely nocturnal, I never got a daytime pic of him at all in the hundreds I had. The third time I sat in the stand I saw him cruising through the swamp coming my way. I nearly fell out of the tree because he was the biggest I'd ever encountered that close. He cruised up there checking the doe out. I was more nervous than ever, so I came to full draw, and an easiness came over me as I concentrated hard on his vitals and let it fly. Clipped both his shoulders and passed through his heart. His front end slammed to the ground and he pushed himself just out of my sight 20 yds away.

My second biggest archery buck was a different 8pt that was right under my stand when I shot. I spined him and he fell over kicking.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM

Made a perfect heart shot on this 7 pointer a couple years ago. He came in from behind me and walked right down the trail I set my stand up for. When the arrow hit him, he mule-kicked and grunted, then ran in a circle and died 10 yards from where I shot him. Wish I'd have taken a picture of the heart, cause it had a perfect X in the center.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM

First Deer with a bow. Passed on 6 deer in three days waiting on a buck. Had one doe come in to about 4 yards about two hours before dark but couldn't get a shot out the blind. She walked off and about 45 mins later 9 does stepped out at 30 yards. I drew back and shot the biggest one that had no youngin's complete pass through and the arrow was stuck about two inches in the dirt. she ran about 45 yards and died. Hoyt Lazertec, PSE Arrows and G5 Tekan 2
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Banned

Killed this buck last year from the ground with no blind. I had been seeing a couple decent bucks every night before dark in this one field. I couldn't find a tree to hang my stand in with the wind this particular afternoon, so I just backed into a small thicket on the edge of the field. Had a smaller buck come in right before this one, snort wheezed with my mouth and this guy came in looking for a fight. Turned broadside at 20 yds and I let him have it.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM

the buck in my avatar I shot on video and fell on camera!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 PM

My first deer with a bow. About 30 yard shot. I dont know how i done it. I was a wreck! I watched him for 30 minutes with my friends hollering for me a couple of hundred yards down the road (we were supposed to be meeting back at the truck 10 minutes before I shot). I remember drawing, but dont remember aiming or releasing. I thought "no way I am going to make this". But the deer mule kicked, took one jump and fell over! I was SO PUMPED!!

I knew I was going to be hooked for life.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 PM

Mine was also on a squirrel. I had been sitting in the stand all morning with this one annoying squirrel that kept running around and screaming. After an hour of this he climbed on a stump about 20 yds out. I drew back put the pin on his chin and let the arrow fly. The arrow took him just below the mouth straight thought the neck, snatched him off the stump and pin him to the base of the oak behind the stump. Needless to say he didn't annoy me anymore. Plus 35 mins later, I got a big fat doe.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 PM

I've had a few good ones in my life but my favorite one is probably this ol song dog I made a 30yrd shot on it as he walked down a little shallow creek one afternoon. I stopped him and popped him perfect and he never even made it out the creek. It was a lucky shot Name:  8333_1071413725254_4473829_n.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  97.9 KB
Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 PM

I wish I hit them all like this
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Shot is a 3:05

Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Nine point I killed last year. Not my biggest by far but a cool hunt and shot. Snuck into my stand overlooking an overgrown field of briars and sapplings. Had this buck stand up from his bed 75 yds away. He ate a little and layed back down. Thirty minutes later he stands back up and begins feeding ever so slowly kind of quartering to my left. It takes him 45 mins to move 50 yds. At times all I can see is his rack above the briars. There is one opening I can shoot before he makes it to the privet on the edge of the field. I range the opening it is 40 yards. He step into the opening I draw settle my pin and smack! He tears out of through the briars but only makes it about 75 yds. The Rage slices a hole through both lungs. When I went to where I shot him I lasered my tree and it was 43 yds. My longest shot I have ever made on a deer with a bow and a very fun hunt.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM

I went to Ohio this past october 31 thru november 4 and on the afternoon hunt of november 1 i was setteing in a ground blind in about a 2acer turnip field i had 13 does out in the field and about 4:40 a doe ran out in the field with her tounge hung out and i could hear a buck grunting behind her. Finally he ran out in the field and i seen he was big enough and ranged him at 43 yards and sent one to him. It hit him perfect and he ran about 60 yards and crashed. He ended up scoring 151 and some change and had 12 points. My first buck with a bow but done killed several does. I was shooting a Hoyt CRX 32 at 67lbs. with carbon express mayhem 350 arrows and a G5 T3 broadhead and made a pass through!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 PM

Awsome deer
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 PM

YA YA YA....... I know a crossbow is cheating and ain't as hard as shooting a bow (don't give me too much of a hard time) but this is probably my most memorable hunt with a bow. It was opening morning of bow season and hot as a fat ladies bottom in a pepper patch. This ol boy came running out into what was once a food plot for deer and now looked like an atomic bomb went off in it, and I let the rage fly at about 35 yards and had a complete pass through. I only had to go about 10 yards from where I shot him to pick up my pork chops!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 PM

not sure where the pics are, wife put them on a hard drive and cant find it lol. I made a 40 yard shot, out of a ground blind beside a cedar thicket on my biggest to date, a 144 and some change 12 pointer. Hit him right in the money maker, ran 30 yards and dropped.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelson5 View Post
YA YA YA....... I know a crossbow is cheating and ain't as hard as shooting a bow (don't give me too much of a hard time) but this is probably my most memorable hunt with a bow. It was opening morning of bow season and hot as a fat ladies bottom in a pepper patch. This ol boy came running out into what was once a food plot for deer and now looked like an atomic bomb went off in it, and I let the rage fly at about 35 yards and had a complete pass through. I only had to go about 10 yards from where I shot him to pick up my pork chops!!!!!!
There is no shame in taking an animal with a crossbow don't ever let anyone tell u there is . Iv been bow hunting since I was 11 years old and if anything ever happens to me to we're I can't shoot my regular bow a will be Hunting with a crossbow hunting is a personal venture between u and god it matters not what tool u use to undertake that venture.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM

I think their all good shots. Take your pic !

Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 AM

Nice compilation Bowanna
Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 AM

I would have to be a tie. I was on my roof getting in some target practice. I was shooting an old Proline bow I bought off of a coworker to try bowhunting. I was sighting it in when I heard something in the bushes. I looked over to see a squirrel about 20 yards out. I put one right through him and pinned him to the ground. Or the rabbit I shot in the front yard from 30 yrds out. I sent a broadhead right across the back of its neck. Severed its spine, DRT and didn't mess up any of the meet.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 AM

Shot this mule deer last year, bedded at the base of the rocks in the back ground. Spotted him from 8oo yds away & circled & climbed a rock face to get on top. Once I found him from above he was ranged at 33 yds almost straight down. Hit him with a muzzy almost getting his spine & coming out his brisket as he leaped to run to where the picture was taken.

Good reading on this post, ThanksPSE Jim for starting.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 AM

Dang Bowanna That bow of yours shoots like an autoloader, Got to get me one that shots that fast. Like the hog hoist. Good job on the whole video.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Cool thread here...

I had to think for a little bit on this one and kept coming back to the same one. I was 17 and it was 1991 in East Texas on my parents land. I had been bowhunting for 5 years and had missed several deer but hadn't connected yet. I was hunting in my favorite stand that I had seen a nice 8 point the weekend before and had drawn on 3 times but never had a shot. A little after 8 a.m. a couple of does came in to my salt lick and I smoked the bigger of the two. She ran about 50yds into a thicket and I could hear her coughing within seconds followed by her crashing. I almsot fell out of my stand when the adrenaline hit me. I didn't stay in the stand long after and headed to the truck where I met up with my Dad. He had killed a doe himself that morning about 5 minutes after me. I can still see the smile on his face and feel the excitement we both shared that morning. I was shooting a PSE Fire Flite 65lbs, overdraw, 22.5 inch 2213, and 125 gr satelite broad heads.

Team Yellow Gate Slayers/2012 BOWMADNESS 3G/RAMCAT Broadheads
Old 07-19-2012, 09:51 AM

Talking

I was deer hunting and seen something out of the corner of my eye. As I turned seen it was a yote. I grabbed my fawn bleat and as soon as I hit it he came in running. I got him in the sweet spot as he ran past me on a full run at 15 yards. He ran 20 more yards and flipped end over end. It was cool as.........
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Northern British Columbia Sept. 2000. My first attempt at an inland grizzly. Same biological bear as a brown bear but lives 50 or more miles away from the coast so they don't usually get the salmon, have to work much harder for their food and ususally have worse attitude. I had read an article in Bowhunter magazine about Dwight Schuh taking a grizzly with a bow with Canadian Mountain Outfitters and I mentioned it to my wife. She said you only live once, you might as well go. I already had the brown bear trip booked, this would mean I would be gone a month, have to go from BC straight to AK., and spend what was left of my life savings on a bowhunt. I grabbed the phone and called Brian Martin of CMO. His mother answered, said Brian was in the bush and only had spotty satelite phone service but she could get a message to him in time. This was mid August and the hunt would start in only two weeks. I had practiced at a grizzly siloette target all summer. I had shot from 10 to 60 yds. and there was a soft ball size hole in the cardboard bear with very few holes outside a four inch circle in the lungs. I was as ready as I could ever get. Brian's mother said "he has had a grizzly hunter cancel, are looking for a discounted hunt for this year or were you thinking of something in the future". Brian probably heard my jaw hit the floor from NC to the BC bush. I said "tell me more". She sent me an email package like you would expect to get from a lawyer. He was a fairly new outfitter and had only been in business a couple years. But man did he have his mess together. There was info in the package that answered every question I had ever thought of to ask an outfitter and then some. Complete list of everything to bring, what not to bring, what to expect... it was all there.
Also was a link to his web site, with more mouth watering pics & such. I was stoked, to the point I couldn't sleep. I was about to go to heaven. I waited about a week for Brian to call knowing time was running out. Finally the phone ran. Brian was high on a mountian guiding a stone sheep hunter and had stopped to catch his breath and decided to ckeck his voice mail on his sat. phone.
He said I don't have much battery left, we'll have to talk fast. The guys that end the commercials on the radio with all the "fine print" talk they don't want you to understand but have to say would have been proud. In less than five minutes, we had reached a deal and the hunt was booked. It was much better than I could ever have hoped. In addition to the griz tag, I would have tags for moose, caribou, wolf and one of my all time dreams come true, a majestic white mountian goat. He had black bear too, but I had already been there done that. Now I had to make a more plane res. and get more cash. I would have to sell some stock, get the money from the broker in check, then get it cashed. I called the bank and getting a boat load of green backs in my hands from stock certificates took more time than I thought. Long story short,
I didn't have it all when it was time to go. Brian would have to take some and hold any trophy I might have as collateral till I could get back home and make a wire transferr. He agreed. I flew to Seatle, then to Smithers, BC, then on small prop jet to some minning camp somewhere in BC, then on an otterfloat plane into what has to be some of the most beautiful rugged mountains in the world. If there was ever the picture perfect place for a spot and stalk multi species bowhunt this was it. It was unreal. You could climb high and see for 20 miles.
I would hunt with Dawson Deveny as my guide. The same guide who had guided Dwight Schuh. He was about 22 years old as I like to say "tough as a litter knot". We had landed on one lake to meet with Brian and the after "settling up", Dawson and I hoped on the outter and were off to Obey Lake, the spot Dwight had told Brian would be the best chance for a bowhunt for griz. Obey Lake was about 2 miles long, 3/4 mile wide, full of huge hungry lake trout. We had a small aluminum V bottom boat with 6 horse motor. About a mile away was another smaller lake with a canoe. It was late afternoon and only time to ckeck my equipment and catch a dozen or so trout. Next morning we took the 6HP across the lake, hiked to the canoe on a grizzly trail, paddled across and climbed a small ridge to set and glass. It was partly foggy and between the fog patches we had looked at about 20 mountain goats in the first hour. They were scattered all around the peaks 2000 ft above us. Please don't pinch me I thought, this has to be a dream. About that time the sun popped out and across the lake my 10 power binos landed on the hump of a grizzly. I nearly cried. I couldn't speak nor could I take my glasses down. All I could do was point my shaking finger and tell Dawson, GRIZZLY!. I was estactic, this was my first, probably better than my first well...you know... for sure it was lasting longer anyway. Dawson, he had seen lots of griz and no big deal. The bear was a long way, and it looked nasty between the other side of the lake up to where he was. Dawson said "I can get there no problem, how bout that leg of yours? whata think". I said "let's go". We planned the stalk by the best land marks we could pic out because once across the lake, we would be close to bow range before we would be able to see him again. He was feeding on blueberries so thick that you could litterly pick them by the handful. It was a tough climb for me, running on pure adrenilin. We knew we were getting close and Dawson made his one and only mistake of the 14 day hunt. We disagreed about which snag the bear was close to and at 30 yds. well within my bow range but before we were ready, we got upwind of the bear. Whoof and he was gone, just that fast. Dawson said "don't worry we'll get one, this was just the first day". YEAH RIGHT!, we spent the rest of the day watching black bears, goats, moose and seen more trash can lid size piles of bear poop than you could count. We were in the right spot. It was blueberryville and that's what the bears wanted. Day two, back to the same spot, the fog lifted, more goats, a black bear, a moose cow and calf, we had been glassing an awful long time, 15 minutes. Holy S!@# griz. Within 400 yds of where we had left him yesterday. Only a little higher. Okay, I'm strecthing it out, same as yesterday only the wind just swirled at the last minute, we were about 40 yds. This time, we watched him climb 1500 ft. and go over the top. He's gone. Same for the afternoon lots of goats but no more griz. Day 3, the fog is right down on the lake, Dawson said "we need to wait, we don't want to spoke them in the fog". He was right we couldn't see 50 yds.
He said "go catch some trout for breakfast". OK twist my..that's enough I'll do it. I fished and he cooked, good too I might add. It was 9:00, I was a little ansy wanting to go but catching 3 to 5 pound trout every cast ain't a bad way to spend a couple hours. About 9:30 the fog lifted above the trees and eased on up the mountain till I could start to see the blueberrys that were across the lake up the mountain maybe 1 1/2 miles away. I put my spinning rod between my knees and brought my binos up to check out a "spot" in the berries. It can't be, IT IS, GRIZ! Three days in a row. I know I'm fixing to wake up back in NC. Feet don't fail me now. I was wearing hip boots wading the edge of the lake and Dawson said I had walked/run on the water getting back to camp. He thought the bear was after me and was scrambling for his .280. I was out of breath, couldn't hardly talk, pointed, shaking again, GRIZZLY, over there. Dawson "yeah I see him, calm down". What? Calm down, let's GO. Dawson finally convinced me the bear was feeding, didn't have a clue we were there and we had some time. We had a packer in camp that day, a young guy about 18 years old, there to help pack out what ever I got. We would leave him in camp with an orange foam cushion to use as a signal flag. High, he was straight up, low, he was straight down, and so on. Dawson and I planned the stalk. This time, we do it the hard way. The wind was blowing up the mountain and we would climb way around and way up and maximize the updraft to our advantage. We hopped in the 6HP and across the lake. The 2 hour climb seemed like minutes to me. I was PUMPED. THIS SUCKER IS MINE. It was perfect. We eased into an opening and spotted the packer 2 miles away. We had a cushion too and got his attention pretty quick.
Right where he was suppose to be, below us at 2:00. We eased down. The brush
was thick but had openings. Each time we waved to the packer, the sig was the same 2:00. Perfect. Finally I got a glimpse of a hairy hump. He was about 40 yds. There was a 30 yd. shooting lane about 4 ft wide and the bear was ever so slowly working it's way up to me. Dawson had climbed up on a rock about 40 yds. behind me and could see everything. His orders from me, (my bad), don't shoot till he's chewing on me. When the bear would disappear in the brush I would look back at Dawson, he would give me the thumbs up and use his fingers to tell me he was only a little ways right or left. I had my arrow knocked. I had ample time to clam down. Then it happened. There he was 30 yds. in my lane but facing me munching on the berries. My bow up, release on the string, I must have checked my arrow on my rest, my cock feather at least a dozen times. All of a sudden, the bear looked directly at me. I had on full camo, face painted, wasn't moving, (at least not on the outside), but it was not love at first site. It was eye to eye, the coldest stare you could ever image. I was made. When a grizzly sees something it doesn't like that's not moving, the first thing they do is rear up on their hind legs to wind and get a better look. I knew what was about to happen. I had bought every griz video on the market and watched them a hundred times each over the last ten years. There is a 50/50 chance that they will charge or run the other way, you never know what it's going to be. They only spend 2 to 3 seconds on their hind legs and then they're gonna move. As the bear reared up, the bowstring came back, my anchor locked in and the 30 yd. sight pin was locked on like a vise. I touched the release and watched the arrow bury up to the flecthing, dead cent of the bears chest. It stagged back and dropped down growling. It raced sideways around the mountain out of sight. The packer had my video camera running but from 1 1/2 miles the bear is not to clear. You can see it run and disappear in a dry gultch a mere 60 yds from where I shot it. We could tell by the way it had slide down the slope that it was dead when it topped the edge. The bear had died in 10 seconds from the arrow slicing the heart and lungs. We waited an hour, then followed a blood trail that was so heavy you had to walk to the side to keep it off your boots. We claimed my prize.
Later, the skull would measure P&Y, I could have died then and been a happy camper. A life long dream fullfilled.
Just a few more words about Dawson, my BC guide before I move on. We skinned the bear and walked back to the boat in a bad sqaw. We got back to the lake in the dark and the boat had blown off the bank and was floating 300 yds out in the lake. Now this water was about 35 degrees, just before ice up. He said "I'll get it". He took off his clothes, swam with no life jacket or flotation, nothing but his birthday suit, 300 yds in the dark, climbed in the boat and brought it back. Never complained about being cold, nothing. Just said "sorry for the delay". This is the kind of MAN you want on YOUR side!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Shot this mule deer last year, bedded at the base of the rocks in the back ground. Spotted him from 8oo yds away & circled & climbed a rock face to get on top. Once I found him from above he was ranged at 33 yds almost straight down. Hit him with a muzzy almost getting his spine & coming out his brisket as he leaped to run to where the picture was taken.

Good reading on this post, ThanksPSE Jim for starting.

Bucket List right there. Nice Muley.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Mine would have to be my first buck I ever took with a bow. I was huntin about 50 yds from the flint and had been seein deer pretty much all mornin. All of the sudden two does come running in bein chased by a good 9 pt. The two does came trottin right in front of me at about 15 yds and the 9 pt was right behind them. I couldn't get him to stop so I shot him at 15 yds as he was trottin. Hit him in the liver and he ran about 200 yds and died just off the edge of a sandbar. Scored 120 on the dot
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM

my best wasnt a kill but an experience with my little boy...I set up a ground blind at my favorite hog honey hole, i got off of work one afternoon and had my 4yr old little boy with we proceeded to the blind got settled down started using muzzys bowhunter setup (i love that stuff) 30 mins later a little doe came out the woods... at this time my little boy is sitting on the ground playing in the dirt has NOT made a sound and not a care in the world, after a few minutes that doe worked her self within 7yds broadside in front of me i proceed to draw my bow take aim and....... my little boy goes from angel to nunsance from the ground he looks at me and in a very LOUD voice says "daddy whatcha doin" the doe knew exactally what was about to go down and proceeded to get out sight and leave the premisses. after of a few minutes of mummling to my self i turned to my boy and said nuttin whatcha u doin.. even though i didnt come home with anything ill never forget and i promise i wont let him forget when he gets old enough to take aim on a deer
Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkeen View Post
my best wasnt a kill but an experience with my little boy...I set up a ground blind at my favorite hog honey hole, i got off of work one afternoon and had my 4yr old little boy with we proceeded to the blind got settled down started using muzzys bowhunter setup (i love that stuff) 30 mins later a little doe came out the woods... at this time my little boy is sitting on the ground playing in the dirt has NOT made a sound and not a care in the world, after a few minutes that doe worked her self within 7yds broadside in front of me i proceed to draw my bow take aim and....... my little boy goes from angel to nunsance from the ground he looks at me and in a very LOUD voice says "daddy whatcha doin" the doe knew exactally what was about to go down and proceeded to get out sight and leave the premisses. after of a few minutes of mummling to my self i turned to my boy and said nuttin whatcha u doin.. even though i didnt come home with anything ill never forget and i promise i wont let him forget when he gets old enough to take aim on a deer
Priceless. Yea he'll never hear the end of that one.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 PM

My ten year old son made this shot.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM

First deer with a bow. Just an old doe but made a 50 yard shot on her. She dropped in her tracks. Hooked on bow hunting since.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 PM

My favorite shot with a bow was my first animal bowkill ever and was a fox squirrel I killed at 38 yards when I was 12 (only two years ago.) It was a head shot with a rage 40ke. Got it mounted and am a very proud kid.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Sorry, forgot the picture. Don't have any of the kill, just the mount.
Attached Images