Seeing Doves?

270win

Is it just me or are there a huge number of Doves around this year. I'm expecting a great opening day this year. We jump them up every time we walk down the roads on the land!! If they're still here we should limit out pretty early.... Come on September!!!!:shoot:

Hogguide

Banned
270win said:
Is it just me or are there a huge number of Doves around this year. I'm expecting a great opening day this year. We jump them up every time we walk down the roads on the land!! If they're still here we should limit out pretty early.... Come on September!!!!:shoot:

It shoud be a good year for doves. I have a couple of hundred that have been hanging around for about a month now.
BUT, we really need the rain that we are getting right now. My millet was looking sort of sad.
Hogguide

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I have also noticed a ton of doves...best thing is out millet has gotten a good amount of rain and it looking great!

GeauxLSU

Noticed that very thing this morning. Now if I can just find a good place to go. Hey, elfiii........!

Hogguide

Banned

In this last picture, you can see the Bi-Color Lespedeza that has been planted to simulate an overgrown farm fence row for quail.

Dove Field

Here are a couple of updated photos of my Dove Plot. I have 30 acres planted in Brown Top Millet and Sunflowers. It has been growing sort of slow due to the lack of rain but we got over 3" in the last week. I have a rain gauge right in the corner of the plot. On Tuesday, I applied 2000 pounds of 13-13-13 to the field. This should get it really going now.

The power line (first and last picture) really holds the birds once the season gets going. They land on it prior to flying down to feed. Once everything matures, we will mow, disc and burn prior to opening day of dove season.

I have about 7-8 acres of the Pennington Fall Bleed deer mix in a front field that has had strips mowed into it and disked some. It has about 100-200 dove visiting it every evening. It looks like this will be a good Dove season.
Hogguide

Terra Server Imagery

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=17&X=335&Y=4527&W=1

Here is a terra server link to show the field. My field is the green one right in the middle of the screen. I also have a smaller field (Pennington mix) just to the north and west of my field.
The surrounding open areas are clay pits.

Last edited:

Mark Brooks

Good looking Field!! I will check on ours this weekend. We haven't had a lot of consistent rain in Commerce, GA.

Seeing bunches of Dove around Suwanee. I always start seeing them this time of year and getting more and more excited.

MB