!!!!Georgia Outdoorsmen....Support 2nd Amendment Rights in Newton County!!!!

rjcruiser

There are a few on here that might have heard about Newton County's Sheriff attempting to shove a local ordinance through that would keep you from firing any projectile within 350 yards of any house or road. The verbage is very loose and would most likely cover rifles, handguns, shotguns, archery, bb guns, airsoft, paintball guns etc etc.

There was a meeting on Monday, where the sheriff said that his plan was not to infringe on the rights of gun owners :crazy:, but rather keep the western part of the county safer (even though 100 yards and 350 yards makes no difference in a densely populated area). Roughly 150-175 people voiced their opposition to the proposed ordinance and a committee has been formed to present suggestions to our county commissioners.

Here's a link to the article ( http://www.covnews.com/section/1/article/38878/ )

So, as a 2nd Amendment supporter, a resident of Newton County and someone who is seeing an increased desire of the left to infringe upon our rights as citizens, I ask you to please e-mail the two commissioners on this committee. Whether you live in NC, hunt in NC, purchase guns in NC, do business in NC, or just don't want precedent like NC to come to your county, please e-mail them showing your support for the 2nd Amendment.

You can cut and paste this e-mail (modify it if you see fit) and please send to lmaddox@co.newton.ga.us and lsims@co.newton.ga.us If you'd rather call Levie Maddox and Lanier Sims, you can reach them at 678-502-8929 and 770-787-7876 respectively.

To the Commissioners of Newton County,
As a resident of Newton County, I heartily oppose any additional restrictions to the current firearms ordinance that the county has in place. Adding additional regulations will do nothing to stop criminals from needlessly discharging firearms at random and will only penalize law abiding citizens. The key to stopping illegal activities is both community involvement as well as proper enforcement of current laws and regulations, not increased regulations. If anything should be done, the county ordinance should be done away with and the county should follow the laws and guidelines that the State of Georgia has put in place. I urge you to oppose any additional restrictions.
Sincerely,
________

Thanks everyone....may the gun owners of this State show the left that they should've just left good enough alone:clap::clap:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Ttt

mountainpass

From the link in the OP:

To put the distance of 350 yards of a residence into context for landowners, if a house sat in the middle of a circular piece of property, that property would have to be 80 acres or larger before a person could begin to fire a gun legally under the proposed ordinance.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
wrote the commoners the other day. Now I read they have a closed door meeting in violation of the sunshine law. :mad:

rjcruiser

wrote the commoners the other day. Now I read they have a closed door meeting in violation of the sunshine law. :mad:

Not in violation...because they only had two commissioners present. Had they had a 3rd, then it would've been in violation.

I'm trying to be a reasonable person/citizen when I read about the meeting...and I can see why it would need to be private at this time...but on the other hand, it does nothing but raise concerns.

Also, the map that the sheriff has put out showing what areas would be affected by the new ordinance (based on zoning) is really not an accurate map. It does not take into effect the 350 yard buffer. If they did a map on that, it would be much much much less of the county. I hope this whole thing backfires on the sheriff and the Libs trying to ram it down the throats of all of Newton County.

mountainpass

http://www.newtoncitizen.com/news/2013/may/02/committee-has-draft-firearms-ordinance-in-place/

As proposed, discharge of firearms would be prohibited on property less than 2 acres, except in the case of exemptions such as hunting, protecting person or property, destruction of dangerous animals or for lawful nuisance wildlife abatement, for law enforcement and military, at shooting ranges or discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical purposes, signals at sporting events, military exercises, funerals etc.

#Head said the 2 acre requirement seemed like a good compromise. Previously, it was proposed that firearms discharge be prohibited in all zoning districts except agricultural, agricultural residential and rural estate districts.

#The draft ordinance also prohibits discharging firearms within 100 yards of any residence, place of public assembly or worship, not to include the residence of the individual discharging the firearm.

#Firing into any building, house, along or across a highway, at a person or motor vehicle would still be prohibited. In addition, discharging of firearms would be limited from one half hour after sunset until one half hour before sunrise