An evening with the long rod. Pic Heavy!

ASH556

Thus far this year, I've only been fishing one time. Memorial Day I went to Buford Dam and caught some trout on spinning tackle to have for supper. Beyond that one outing, tonight was the first opportunity I've had to fish all year.

I repaired my Penn spinning reel a few weeks ago, so I wanted to try it out, but I also had an itch to throw a popping bug and see what I could do with that. Gotta keep in practice and all, you know. So, my first few casts were with the spinning setup throwing a Fishhead with a shad body. 5th cast, the rod loaded up real nice. I set the hook and "pop" went the 8lb Flouro leader. I was a little frustrated because only 2 casts prior, I checked my drag, thought it might be a little tight, and loosened it some more.
The good news was, the reel cast and retrieved perfectly.

So on to the long rod we go. I swear, our little neighborhood pond must have a pretty healthy Redbreast population as that's pretty much all I caught with 3 small bass and a few bluegills tucked in there. All in all it was a nice evening. Then, on the way back to my house, there was some excitement as I came across a 2ft Copperhead making his way across the subdivision street from one yard to another. I knocked on the door of the house whose yard he was headed into, but they didn't answer. I then flagged down a neighbor who went home and brought back a shovel. It was a daring feat, and that snake was a mean, energetic little bugger, but he met with the vengance of the shovel and that was the end of him.

So, here are the fish in order of catch:

And the copperhead: