Monticello road kill HWY 212 W

hunterz

This nice buck (antlers cut off) was hit in front of my property on HWY 212 W about a mile east (Monticello side) of Larry's Fourway. Must have been hit the Saturday or Sunday Am before thanksgiving. Anybody know about it? Just wondering if the old man was one of my camera pic bucks. He was probably 240 lbs and mature.
Let me know if you have any idea who hit it or got the antlers. I put my hat on it to reference how big the head / neck was

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 2,922

frogtownbuck

Just my opinion but it looks to me from the picture, the horns was busted off from the vehicle, if you go back and look hard enough you might find them or at least pieces of them. If i remember correctly,i read a article in Gon a couple months back about a buck named scare from North Fulton Co. that was hit by a car and the man hunting this buck said it took him a total of 28 days to find all the pieces. Might be a long shot but just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with it.

hunterz

They were cut off with a hack saw. Bad angle in photo but def cut off

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
^ I was going to say the same thing about the antlers being broke on impact. Driver could have toted them off too though.

That's not too far from one of my spots. It's a shame; he was a good looking deer regardless.

JWT

Wouldn't it be easier just to cut the head off ? Why cut it off above the bases ? If they had a Sawall , ten seconds whole head is gone !

DSGB

A buddy of mine's brother came home and got a saw because he saw one that had been hit near their house. He did the same thing - came home with the antlers sawed off above the bases. :rofl:

It does look broke in the pic, though.

Greene728

Zoom in on PIC. They were definitely cut off.

hunterz

I am the one who started the thread and took the pic and I promise somebody used a saw to make nice clean cuts.

Anybody know who might have hit the deer or cut off the antlers?

ditchdoc24

I am the one who started the thread and took the pic and I promise somebody used a saw to make nice clean cuts.

Anybody know who might have hit the deer or cut off the antlers?

Was this near Bailey Rd?

hunterz

Close to Millen Road

hunterz

So yes close to Bailey but maybe 1/4 mile closer to Monticello. At bottom of hill where Heard Creek goes under 212.

The sad thing that I have recently found out is most of the hacksaw cut offs are non hunters for their dogs to chew on. I always cringe when I see big bucks with cutoffs around me. A guy at my wife's work enlighted me to this goings on. Free dog chew to him is a sad end to a big buck someone has probably been chasing for years. Sorry to hear it.

dmclain1

why do people cut the horns off road kill?? "Hey look what I shot".. smh

I would say it has more to do with not letting them go to waste. You can make some cool stuff with antlers. If someone hacks it like that pic above, they aren't going to be bragging about shooting that buck.

ryanh487

Another great dog treat: cut out the tendons between the hoofs and knees/elbows and dry them in the oven until hard. they sell beef tendons for $6-8 a piece at the pet store, dogs love 'em. I take them all from deer killed at camp.

mtr3333

Banned
looks like they sawed em off with a hammer