Piedmont NWR

Steve Roberts

What's your thoughts on the first hunt on Piedmont NWR?
My wife and I got drawn on the first hunt, and didn't know which hunt was better. This will be our first time hunting there!!!

Toddmann

Beautiful place. Use to hunt there back in the mid 90's. Use to be a quota of 200 hunters. Now I believe its 300. Just realize if u hear a bird gobbling chances are others hear it as well. I would think the 1st hunt will give u 1st opportunity at the 2 yr old birds so should be good. Good luck.

herb mcclure

Hi Steve, wish you could go back 15 or 20 years ago; and still had Fat's Truelove, with us; to ask about Piedmont. There probably was no one, any better than he; when it came to signing out a gobbler there; than Fats. My advise is this, spend all day hunting; call sparely. If you hear some morning gobbling and no gun fire near-by; consider hunting near where the gobbling was; mid-day to fly-up time; no-doubt the run & guns; will come charging in at fly-down time.

Yes, in reference to one of your other post on, " A SEASON FOR THE BOOK",about punching me with a stick, when you could hear a gobble, to let me know too; our friend,the Fats, was the original stick puncher; for me. Now that I just hunt with a camera, with limited time; why don't you and I get together someday; even if it is, just an afternoon hunt; for old time-sake; but in the mountains of course.
herb mcclure

Reminex

Never know about PNWR. I forgot all about putting in this year. I have a buddy who called 5 in to the gun in one day last year on several setups. In all fairness he knows the place better than anyone I can think of but he never has trouble finding birds there.

Jones County is always best the first 2 weeks of season whether its public or private. Good luck!

Steve Roberts

Beautiful place. Use to hunt there back in the mid 90's. Use to be a quota of 200 hunters. Now I believe its 300. Just realize if u hear a bird gobbling chances are others hear it as well. I would think the 1st hunt will give u 1st opportunity at the 2 yr old birds so should be good. Good luck.

Thanks Toddmann, how's the 20ga O/U going? Great looking gun!!

Steve Roberts

Hi Steve, wish you could go back 15 or 20 years ago; and still had Fat's Truelove, with us; to ask about Piedmont. There probably was no one, any better than he; when it came to signing out a gobbler there; than Fats. My advise is this, spend all day hunting; call sparely. If you hear some morning gobbling and no gun fire near-by; consider hunting near where the gobbling was; mid-day to fly-up time; no-doubt the run & guns; will come charging in at fly-down time.
Yes, in reference to one of your other post on, " A SEASON FOR THE BOOK",about punching me with a stick, when you could hear a gobble, to let me know too; our friend,the Fats, was the original stick puncher; for me. Now that I just hunt with a camera, with limited time; why don't you and I get together someday; even if it is, just an afternoon hunt; for old time-sake; but in the mountains of course.
herb mcclure
Thanks Herb, I heard Mr. Truelove really liked to hunt at Piedmont!!! Wished he was still around to ask also, because we would also get a laugh or two!!!

I'm ready to go on a hunt when ever you want to, I would be honored to. My wife, and I were up Sunday afternoon at Lake Burton, and we rode over to where we went hunting the last time. She wasn't up for the walk, so I didn't get to check it out. Just let me know when you can get away, and we will go try to find a old mountain gobbler. Steve

Steve Roberts

Never know about PNWR. I forgot all about putting in this year. I have a buddy who called 5 in to the gun in one day last year on several setups. In all fairness he knows the place better than anyone I can think of but he never has trouble finding birds there.

Jones County is always best the first 2 weeks of season whether its public or private. Good luck!
Sounds good Reminex!!! Thanks for the info!!

Toddmann

Thanks Toddmann, how's the 20ga O/U going? Great looking gun!!

Finally completed it. Gonna shoot paper one more time with both barrels then hopefully test it out in Bama on a live target.

turkeykirk

It is a pretty spot. Like Toddman said be prepared to have someone run in on you. Times I've hunted there people have parked almost right behind me and walked in right in on top of me. Have a great hunt!

Steve Roberts

It is a pretty spot. Like Toddman said be prepared to have someone run in on you. Times I've hunted there people have parked almost right behind me and walked in right in on top of me. Have a great hunt!

Thanks turkeykirk, it's making me wonder if it is worth it!! I like to hunt middle Ga with my wife the first of the season to get her a gobbler or two, then I hunt the mountains. I've got two clubs to hunt on, one in Harris Co and one in Madison Co. Might be a safer bet to hunt there. I'd hate for her to have a bad trip with turkey scarrers running all over us!!!!

turkeykirk

I would hunt the Piedmont NWR for the experience. A lot of places you can park and walk. It is a beautiful place. When I hunt there on up in the day I ride around and find spots where no one is hunting. Usually can find some good spots. Think you and your wife would have a great time.

Steve Roberts

I would hunt the Piedmont NWR for the experience. A lot of places you can park and walk. It is a beautiful place. When I hunt there on up in the day I ride around and find spots where no one is hunting. Usually can find some good spots. Think you and your wife would have a great time.

OK, thanks

mossyoakpro

Good advise here....lots of places that are untouched. The entire place looks like a turkey playground.

Best of luck!!

OneBadDawg

My wife, cousin, and I all got selected the 2nd hunt. I think that we'll probably camp out at least a few of the nights just to get a jump start on the morning. I can't wait to hear what others have to say about the 1st hunt. I think I'll double down and do some homework for the fall archery hunts while i'm searching for a Gobbler.

Steve Roberts

The wife and I went down yesterday to Piedmont, and walked over 8 miles. That's what the GPS said anyway! We went on areas 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,and 14 saw only one gobbler track, and three hen tracks, no turkeys,and 2 deer!!! �� Going back next week, and hope I see more!!!

ryanwhit

The wife and I went down yesterday to Piedmont, and walked over 8 miles. That's what the GPS said anyway! We went on areas 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,and 14 saw only one gobbler track, and three hen tracks, no turkeys,and 2 deer!!! �� Going back next week, and hope I see more!!!

Sounds about right. People all the time paint PNWR as a picture of turkey pie in the sky, but as you learned...it really ain't. It's tough like everywhere. It's a beautiful place, but you'll probably see and call more people than you will turkeys, and by the end of it, you may be just as happy to kill one as the other.

Latest posts