100 3 gallon pots - looking for a project (found one!!)

Jim Boyd

Guys

Planted 100 3 gallon bushes the last week or so and kept the pots.

Went up the road to get a bunch of sawtooth acorns - was gonna plant them in the spring - but the deer beat me to them. There were 1000’s a week or so ago.

I am 65 and looking for a tree project.

White oaks and pecans are out.

Want something I might actually see some results from before I croak.

I am not a purist so sawtooths do not alarm me.

Thoughts please!!!!!

Last edited:

Gut_Pile

Why not do a mixture?

Water oak would be something to really consider. Constant producer and usually produces at a rather early age compared to other oaks. Live oak would be another option as well as the fast grow nuttall

Dunstan chestnuts are great deer food and relatively easy to grow. Chinese chestnuts produce early as well.

Persimmon is always a great option. Crab apple too

Jim Boyd

Water and live oaks - not sure they will bear before I die!

Our place is loaded with persimmons but that may well be an option. We have a ton of fruit on the ground, will research saving the seed. If that works????

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`d go with swamp chestnut oaks, persimmons, crabapples, water oaks, Chickasaw plums, live oaks. True, some of these you might not see come of age, but those who follow behind you will.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never set in."

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I may could get you some sawtooth acorns . Haven’t been to my dads in a few days but if you are interested I can check on them tomorrow possibly . I’d even be glad to mail them .

Jim Boyd

I may could get you some sawtooth acorns . Haven’t been to my dads in a few days but if you are interested I can check on them tomorrow possibly . I’d even be glad to mail them .

PM sent, sir!!!!!

I will go back up by my buddies place and look again.

Part of it is by the highway - maybe less of the deer looked there.

Thanks !!!!

2dye4

Guys

Planted 100 3 gallon bushes the last week or so and kept the pots.

Went up the road to get a bunch of sawtooth acorns - was gonna plant them in the spring - but the deer beat me to them. There were 1000’s a week or so ago.

I am 65 and looking for a tree project.

White oaks and pecans are out.

Want something I might actually see some results from before I croak.

I am not a purist so sawtooths do not alarm me.

Thoughts please!!!!!
Jim
I’ve got plenty of this years sawtooths in my refrigerator if you can’t find any. Be glad to send them your way if you’d like.

Jim Boyd

Jim
I’ve got plenty of this years sawtooths in my refrigerator if you can’t find any. Be glad to send them your way if you’d like.

I stand overly humbled by the kindness of @antharper and @2dye4… people I do not even really know.

Gentleman, your words and actions speak volumes about your character.

PM sent to @antharper and @2dye4.

Yes I would love some sawtooths and my genuine thanks to both of you.

I will be at farm Friday night and will search for acorns Saturday - and will advise.

respectfully

Jim

treemanjohn

Banned
Do tell more please.

Plus, I will research.

With a name like @treemanjohn you gotta know something!!!!!!

Thanks
Hazelnuts are an excellent food source for wildlife and polinators. Deer smash them and they're much higher in nutrition than acorns. They're pretty easy to grow and don't need a lot of oversight. They're also native unlike sawtooth and Chinese chestnuts

Personally I would buy bare root and pot them. They'll produce much faster that oaks

sghoghunter

I can also get ya some sawtooth acorns. The county planted a pile of them things along the road side on certain roads. I’ve stopped in the past and picked up a hard hat full in a couple minutes. Also know of a white oak or two

ucfireman

I like the idea of hazelnuts. I actually bought a few a few years back from TSC, they didn't do much. I may try again.

Jim I would say PawPaw. or crabapples.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I like Nuttalls and sawtooths, raised a few in pots for a few years til they were 10-12ft tall, then with some discipline, some water, heavy fert at the drip line, light fert underneath, keeping the competition out from under them, I suggest clover underneath, and some regular pruning, you can have producers in as early as 8-10 years, these trees were heavily fertilized with granular and foliar fertilizers, even toyed with root injections but not recommended for hard dry clay soils as it just won't permeate the ground well and takes some equipment the average guy wouldn't have, I prefer a good granular fert and foliar mist similar to the pecan boys which you can accomplish with a good back pack mosquito fogger on a small scale with a good liquid fertilizer/nutrient combo

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I like Nuttalls and sawtooths, raised a few in pots for a few years til they were 10-12ft tall, then with some discipline, some water, heavy fert at the drip line, light fert underneath, keeping the competition out from under them, I suggest clover underneath, and some regular pruning, you can have producers in as early as 8-10 years, these trees were heavily fertilized with granular and foliar fertilizers, even toyed with root injections but not recommended for hard dry clay soils as it just won't permeate the ground well and takes some equipment the average guy wouldn't have, I prefer a good granular fert and foliar mist similar to the pecan boys which you can accomplish with a good back pack mosquito fogger on a small scale with a good liquid fertilizer/nutrient combo

What size pots are you using to get them to 10 feet?

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
What size pots are you using to get them to 10 feet?

I started with little trays in spring of year 1 to see which would sprout, then took them to 1 gal (probably should have went directly to 3 gallon because they didn't stay in the 1s long) then went directly to 15 gallon from the 3s spring of year 2, they were 10ft by the fall of year 2, planted in the ground in Feb/March of year three ahead of one of those periods where we warmed up and got 7 days of rain in a 10-12 day period, then stayed pretty warm after that. I uses various poly coat, methylene urea, some Sulphur coat (because I had it but Sulphur coat is not my favorite, just not as good of a controlled release in my opinion, methylene is my favorite granular for N, poly coat can float away on ya in a rain and while it works I just don't trust a plastic ball to do what it's supposed to do when it's supposed to do it) once in real dirt out of a pot usually once in early spring and once in mid summer I put down around 1 lb of actual N per 1" diameter of tree mostly around the drip line with just a little sprinkled underneath, using a 12-6-6 so a 6" diameter tree got its own dedicated bag twice a year roughly, I liked 12-6-6 in spring then mid summer if we were having good rains I'd go a bag 20-0-5 or 16-4-8 per 2 trees (at 6" diameter) most of my trees have clover underneath so in fall it would get a plain urea 10-20-30 at 150-200lbs to the acre or a liquid ground application 3-18-18 multiple times from say Sept to April. Foliar with a mosquito blower once ahead of a rain I've used just about anything from straight micros to slow release 30-0-0, I've also done liquid ground applications of kelp, humic acid, and fulvic acid with miros, when I'd foliar spray I'd mix in malathion and or bifenthrin or orthene, whatever I had on the truck at the time, pest management really goes a long ways. But I'd foliar spray when I had time ever 2 weeks, sometimes 2 months between, but on average about once a month. With saying that year 6 and year 8, and this year (year 15 on my oldest trees) I missed all liquid applications and they only got a spring fert, still made decent acorns but I had a better crop last year. Pruning arguably may be worth more than the fertilizer, every tree I have gets pruned yearly and with a reason at this stage, there's a few that don't have a "center" or they are spit trunked that I left on purpose that a nursery might throw out, but those get planted in a spot where I will eventually want a stand and that trash tree with 2 or 3 main trunks when big enough will have a lock on in it and each of its surrounding trees won't have limbs under 18-20ft.

Jim Boyd

I started with little trays in spring of year 1 to see which would sprout, then took them to 1 gal (probably should have went directly to 3 gallon because they didn't stay in the 1s long) then went directly to 15 gallon from the 3s spring of year 2, they were 10ft by the fall of year 2, planted in the ground in Feb/March of year three ahead of one of those periods where we warmed up and got 7 days of rain in a 10-12 day period, then stayed pretty warm after that. I uses various poly coat, methylene urea, some Sulphur coat (because I had it but Sulphur coat is not my favorite, just not as good of a controlled release in my opinion, methylene is my favorite granular for N, poly coat can float away on ya in a rain and while it works I just don't trust a plastic ball to do what it's supposed to do when it's supposed to do it) once in real dirt out of a pot usually once in early spring and once in mid summer I put down around 1 lb of actual N per 1" diameter of tree mostly around the drip line with just a little sprinkled underneath, using a 12-6-6 so a 6" diameter tree got its own dedicated bag twice a year roughly, I liked 12-6-6 in spring then mid summer if we were having good rains I'd go a bag 20-0-5 or 16-4-8 per 2 trees (at 6" diameter) most of my trees have clover underneath so in fall it would get a plain urea 10-20-30 at 150-200lbs to the acre or a liquid ground application 3-18-18 multiple times from say Sept to April. Foliar with a mosquito blower once ahead of a rain I've used just about anything from straight micros to slow release 30-0-0, I've also done liquid ground applications of kelp, humic acid, and fulvic acid with miros, when I'd foliar spray I'd mix in malathion and or bifenthrin or orthene, whatever I had on the truck at the time, pest management really goes a long ways. But I'd foliar spray when I had time ever 2 weeks, sometimes 2 months between, but on average about once a month. With saying that year 6 and year 8, and this year (year 15 on my oldest trees) I missed all liquid applications and they only got a spring fert, still made decent acorns but I had a better crop last year. Pruning arguably may be worth more than the fertilizer, every tree I have gets pruned yearly and with a reason at this stage, there's a few that don't have a "center" or they are spit trunked that I left on purpose that a nursery might throw out, but those get planted in a spot where I will eventually want a stand and that trash tree with 2 or 3 main trunks when big enough will have a lock on in it and each of its surrounding trees won't have limbs under 18-20ft.

Wow!

I ain’t willing to work that hard.

Once I plant them, they are either gonna grow or not. Maybe fertilize every few years.

I am guessing yours look like a manicured garden.

Sounds great and I mean that sincerely.