$1500 to $2000 - which gun safe?

Jester896

Senior Clown
Also in the market to upgrade to a bigger safe. This one I found at walmart and has caught my eye. It has a water rating meaning it will withstand 2 feet of water for 72 hours. Only one I have seen like this and here in FL with the threat of floods I might get it plus its only 97 cents to ship :cool:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-36-Gun-Safe-With-Electronic-Lock/11071323

Now that is interesting...normally a safe door is somewhat loose and a gun safe has a strip that melts in a fire (the better containers) ...i bet that waterproof one would be a bear to open after a fire. They are designed to expand somewhat and seal in a fire. It also says that it has to be anchored for the flood protection to be in affect. Any container under 750# should be anchored PERIOD. You did notice at the bottom where it says it is not suitalbe for media?

jeremy5780

Now that is interesting...normally a safe door is somewhat loose and a gun safe has a strip that melts in a fire (the better containers) ...i bet that waterproof one would be a bear to open after a fire. They are designed to expand somewhat and seal in a fire. It also says that it has to be anchored for the flood protection to be in affect. Any container under 750# should be anchored PERIOD. You did notice at the bottom where it says it is not suitalbe for media?

yes I did see that, and dont understand why. But it will be used for guns and ammo anyways so I'm not to worried about cd's or electronic devices

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes I did see that, and dont understand why. But it will be used for guns and ammo anyways so I'm not to worried about cd's or electronic devices

I was trying to point out my earlier statements about gun safes and what they protect and don't protect. Guns require one type, papers require something else, and media requires even more.

deerdander

I just bought a Browning. What I like about it is the DPX storage system on the inside of the door. Will hold 7 to 10 long guns. and that it has more locking bolts than most other makes.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I just bought a Browning. What I like about it is the DPX storage system on the inside of the door. Will hold 7 to 10 long guns. and that it has more locking bolts than most other makes.

i have seen those and they look good...Pro-Steel does a fine job for the money.. they also make some of the Bass Pro units...AMSEC has what they call a PDO (personal door organizer) that has Velcro pistol pockets and will also hold 2 long guns...what i find interesting about theirs is the stock just sits in a pocket and is velcroed say forearm area. With an electronic lock you could open the unit in the dark...and just rip either of your two favorite home defense units out without very much trouble at all.

Yes... look for the most locking bolts and the larger the diameter the better.

The best Electronic locks to look for are S&G (Sargent & Greenleaf) or LaGard...there are some imports out there that are not giving very good service and most of the lower end units that have been mentioned may have an import as a cost cutting or pricing feature. I am not knocking the units mentioned either even these are good..had to say that. It helps to make informed decisions about what may be a lifetime purchase.:) And the two that I mentioned will fail if there is too much end pressure or side pressure on the bolt and that is the most common failure of those locks (improper application) if there is too much side or end pressure on a dial type lock it just will not open and once the pressure is relieved it will open. With the electronic locks it actually breaks the lock over a period of time.