1st WV Turkey

GregoryB.

2nd morning of WV season, still hadn’t gone hunting yet due to 23 stitches in my leg making it hard to walk around the woods. Wife said she needed to run to town before lunch so I grabbed my gun and vest and hobbled my way over the hill to an area where I have seen turkey scratching. Bumped 2 gobblers , they flew down over the hill/Mtn. Set up 2 decoys and made a few calls and waited. About 15 minutes later I see a gobbler coming up the mountain. He gets about 40 yards away and lays down. He stays there as I watch. Made a few soft calls and he gets up and fluffs out. Still didn’t move from the spot. Finally he gets up and starts scratching around always about 40 yards out. A few more soft calls gets his attention but he continues to scratch around. Then he gets behind a tree and I lose him for about 5 minutes, when he pops out he heads toward the decoys. Finally he is just over 30 yards and the little 20ga single shot barks and he starts flopping straight down the mountain about 100 yards. Luckily he rolled up against a log and stopped. 23 lbs, 10 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs.

Attachments

• 8969DF67-EF31-4FE6-8C09-6452FAA1A0DB.jpeg
    8969DF67-EF31-4FE6-8C09-6452FAA1A0DB.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 1B087410-CBC5-413C-8ACE-C7A57A1144AD.jpeg
    1B087410-CBC5-413C-8ACE-C7A57A1144AD.jpeg
    486.6 KB · Views: 38

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
2nd morning of WV season, still hadn’t gone hunting yet due to 23 stitches in my leg making it hard to walk around the woods. Wife said she needed to run to town before lunch so I grabbed my gun and vest and hobbled my way over the hill to an area where I have seen turkey scratching. Bumped 2 gobblers , they flew down over the hill/Mtn. Set up 2 decoys and made a few calls and waited. About 15 minutes later I see a gobbler coming up the mountain. He gets about 40 yards away and lays down. He stays there as I watch. Made a few soft calls and he gets up and fluffs out. Still didn’t move from the spot. Finally he gets up and starts scratching around always about 40 yards out. A few more soft calls gets his attention but he continues to scratch around. Then he gets behind a tree and I lose him for about 5 minutes, when he pops out he heads toward the decoys. Finally he is just over 30 yards and the little 20ga single shot barks and he starts flopping straight down the mountain about 100 yards. Luckily he rolled up against a log and stopped. 23 lbs, 10 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs.
Congrats.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Congrats
Ya made me laugh tellin us how he flopped down the mountain.
I hunt the Appalachians in Tennessee some and yeah... when you shoot one on those steep slopes ya better get after him or they'll do their death flop all the way down the mountain side!!!!
Is especially bad when the truck is back up at the top somewhere!

GregoryB.

Congrats
Ya made me laugh tellin us how he flopped down the mountain.
I hunt the Appalachians in Tennessee some and yeah... when you shoot one on those steep slopes ya better get after him or they'll do their death flop all the way down the mountain side!!!!
Is especially bad when the truck is back up at the top somewhere!
I was hunting on a bench right along a steep drop. Was trying to hobble run to get ahead of him. A chainsaw to the thigh and you won’t be running a record time 100 yard dash.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I was hunting on a bench right along a steep drop. Was trying to hobble run to get ahead of him. A chainsaw to the thigh and you won’t be running a record time 100 yard dash.
Wow yeah I bet not!
I've face planted HARD once tryin to get a bird floppin down an Appalachian mountain. So hard that I knew it was comin, my torso was way out in front of my legs, I had time to think about where the sofest place for me to fall was and where the softest place to throw my shot gun was!!!
I'll actually be huntin Appalachian WV for my first time nest month!
I'm lookin forward to it!!!

WOODIE13

Wow yeah I bet not!
I've face planted HARD once tryin to get a bird floppin down an Appalachian mountain. So hard that I knew it was comin, my torso was way out in front of my legs, I had time to think about where the sofest place for me to fall was and where the softest place to throw my shot gun was!!!
I'll actually be huntin Appalachian WV for my first time nest month!
I'm lookin forward to it!!!
These birds have one leg shorter than the other from running around these hills and run in circles

GregoryB.

Going to give them another try on Friday. There was a second bird that came in that I didn’t see until I jumped up for the downhill race. Neither bird gobbled the whole time. Turkey continually use that bench to cross below my house. As steep as the mountain is I would believe they have one leg longer than the other.

WOODIE13

Going to give them another try on Friday. There was a second bird that came in that I didn’t see until I jumped up for the downhill race. Neither bird gobbled the whole time. Turkey continually use that bench to cross below my house. As steep as the mountain is I would believe they have one leg longer than the other.
Always want them to land in a flat field

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! Way to go G! Did you tell her you were going? Kinda sounded like me sneaking out of the house when I should be resting! Love it either way! If she gets mad and wants you to rest, just tell her it’s PT! That’s what I do :ROFLMAO:
BTW-Don’t fall! Congrats and thanks for sharing!:cheers:

GregoryB.

Woohoo! Way to go G! Did you tell her you were going? Kinda sounded like me sneaking out of the house when I should be resting! Love it either way! If she gets mad and wants you to rest, just tell her it’s PT! That’s what I do :ROFLMAO:
BTW-Don’t fall! Congrats and thanks for sharing!:cheers:
Yes, I told her I was going. Only had a hour to hunt. had to be home around 11:30 to make her lunch. She told me not to fall and take my phone with me which I left laying on the couch.

Hillbilly stalker

Congratulations man, that’s a nice bird. There’s nothing as heartbreaking as watching a bird sail off the side of a mountain to never never land. I m glad you hung in there for the other. It always seemed to me that mountain birds always work better than these flat landers or field turkeys. Field turkeys will make a preacher fly into cussing sometimes. :banginghe . I always had my best luck on mountain birds by getting on their level. Nice bird man…take care of that leg.(y)

wvdawg

Staff member
Awesome - congrats!