2 3/4" moose skinners

Pointpuller

I have been wanting a custom knife for years and finally did the research and selected a knife maker. I talked to John Shore many times until we both knew what I wanted and he didnt disappoint. I sent him an elk shed I found on a New Mexico elk hunt for the handles. Ordered them a while ago and they arrived today! One for me and one for my fellow traditional hunting friend. I couldn't be more happy with them. 2 3/4" Moose Skinners
D8D9A1C4-04AF-4BFD-8ED6-BFE9A9D3BA8E_zpsg1tw3ees.jpg
0305FC5C-62B2-4F5B-B72A-FA9908E38749_zpsseq6emvg.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Those look really nice. And functional.

wvdawg

Staff member
Awesome knives! Congratulations.

IFLY4U

Very nice.

T-N-T

Wow those look good

Razor Blade

John is an outstanding knifemaker, and a good friend of ours in the knifemaking community. You will not be dissapointed with them. Beautiful knives.

Pointpuller

Need some help so Im bringing up this old thread.
I love this knife but it got dull after several deer cleanings and I have been unable to sharpen it. I clean lots of game through out the year. My knife for years is a Puma and I typically hit it on a butchers steel a couple of time while cleaning a deer to keep it shaving.
Seems this blade is to hard for my normal technique. Not sure of the steel but I know he mentioned heating it to a high temp then cooling. Any advice with details would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ve got a very hard stainless steel custom handmade knife that’s nearly impossible for me to sharpen correctly. I use a coarse stone and straight to leather strop to fine tune it. Ceramic occasionally works.
One pass on the medium or superfine stone and it’s often dull again.
Very frustrating as I love the knife’s balance so much.
The steel never works with this one.

Last edited:

K80Shooter

I'm pretty sure he used ATS34, at least that's what mine is that he made. I use a belt sander and finish with trizact belts so I'm not sure what to tell you.

georgiaboy

Please do not heat and cool the blade, you may easily ruin it, not to mention the epoxy under those scales. A diamond sharpener may be the cheapest option without going to a belt type sharpener. Belt sharpeners work like a charm though.

walkinboss01

Very nice knives

Dub

Well done.

I have a knife that size/shape.

It's very useful and fits my hand well.