20 ga options

Flintridge

Looking to lighten my setup for a run and gun option. What’s a solid 20 ga preferably auto with a pistol grip but not necessary? Any suggestions on a good setup is appreciated. Thanks.

deast1988

Sx3 longbeard,

I've seen modified steady grip M2s

The weatherby SA/08 aswell

Kwaksmoka

I have 2 to recommend, first is a Weatherby SA08, light weight slim gun and least expensive of most you are looking for, I've had tons of compliments on this gun. The second I have is the Franchi affinity, I bought the youth but changed the stock to give me full LOP. I use a Sumtoy choke in both with Fed HW 7's amazing the punch they pack!

^ same two my son uses with the same set ups. Has been deadly on bird. Also uses magnum blend as well as heavyweight 7s.

brobi9

Stoeger 3020, barrel cut down to 18.5" with a sumtoy choke. Lightest option you're going to find! Also a stone cold killer

TomC

I'd follow the lead of the diehards over at olgobbler as they have pretty much tested most of the 20 gauge options. Go to walmart, buy an 870 youth 20 gauge, replace the stock and sights and you will have a light weight ultra reliable 40 yard turkey killing machine for not a lot of $$$

blindhog

I'd follow the lead of the diehards over at olgobbler as they have pretty much tested most of the 20 gauge options. Go to walmart, buy an 870 youth 20 gauge, replace the stock and sights and you will have a light weight ultra reliable 40 yard turkey killing machine for not a lot of $$$

I use my son's standard wood stock 870 youth. Killed a Tom or two......

Hevi 13

hambone50

I just went through your exact scenario this offseason. I ended up going with the Mossberg SA-20. Nearly the same gun as the Weatherby SA-08 (some believe the same factory). Sweet little semi-auto that weighs in at 5.5 pounds. As far as setup, I ended up going Fed Heavyweight #7s and a Carlson's .575. Should be a killer if I do my part.

TomC

TSS and Longbeard #6 apparently both pattern well out of the Carlson Longbeard 20 gauge choke. Shoot Longbeard #6's out of it this year and MAYBE next year there will be some TSS on the shelves. One choke that is putting out REALLY good TSS patterns is.......surprisingly.........the cheap Primos Tightwad 20 guage choke.

Flintridge

I just went through your exact scenario this offseason. I ended up going with the Mossberg SA-20. Nearly the same gun as the Weatherby SA-08 (some believe the same factory). Sweet little semi-auto that weighs in at 5.5 pounds. As far as setup, I ended up going Fed Heavyweight #7s and a Carlson's .575. Should be a killer if I do my part.

Is it the Mossberg International SA-20 – Turkey model in MO Obsession? Does yours have a pistol grip?