2010 New Jersey Day 1 - 264, 6 Days - 592 Bears Taken on 6-Day Hunt, Despite Protests

BornToHuntAndFish

NJ 6-Day Total Update: Day 1 - 264, Day 2 - 341, Day 3 - 426, Day 4 - 441 Bears Total

Here's another update on the 6-day bear hunt, so see web links below for all the details:

http://www.njherald.com/story/news/07BEARHUNTDAY2

12/7/2010

As in the two previous bear hunts, there was a steep drop-off in the number of bears killed from day one to day two.

Hunters had checked in 77 bears Tuesday as of 5 p.m., bringing the total number of kills for the first couple of days of New Jersey's first bear hunt since 2005 to 341 animals.

The largest bear to be killed through Tuesday weighed in at 661 pounds.

AND

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/record_number_of_bruins_killed.html

Record number killed during first 3 days of N.J. 6-day bear hunt

Published: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 9:00 PM

Updated: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 5:42 AM

At least 426 bears were killed as of 5 p.m. today and the Department of Environmental Protection is expecting the number to climb — possibly to as high as 700, or even 1,000 — from the 7,800 permits issued for the first bear hunt since 2005.

The total number of bears targeted in this year’s hunt is based upon a percentage of select bears tagged by state environmental officials. When 25 percent of those 300 tagged bears are killed, the target has been reached, according to state officials.

Patrick Carr, supervising wildlife biologist for the state Division of Fish and Wildlife, said that at least 13 percent of the tagged bears were brought into check stations — putting the hunt about halfway toward its total. The original target range is 500 to 700 harvested bears, he said.

But Carr also said the number could go as high as 1,000. About 3,400 bears are estimated to reside in the state.

"Even if we shoot 1,000 bears, we’re still at our 2005 population level," the biologist said.

The previous record of New Jersey’s three bear hunts was recorded in 2003, with 328 animals killed. In 2005, a total of 298 were killed.

AND

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/NJ-Be-111593144.html

NJ Hunt Bags Record 441 Bears, Likely to Go All Six Days
New total sets three-day hunt record, still short of goal

Thu, Dec 9, 2010

While hunters have now bagged 441 bears -- a record, Ragonese said the goal is "an expected range of 500 to 700."

A record haul on Monday dropped by half on Tuesday, and the 55 bears bagged on Wednesday was more than half the previous day's count.

:bounce:

Last edited:

Resica

Here are 2 pics that I believe are of the woman from the first article in this thread. I think the bear was in the neighborhood of 700lbs.

Attachments

• 2010bigbear.jpg
    2010bigbear.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 9101737-standard.jpg
    9101737-standard.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,113

BornToHuntAndFish

Whoa, that's a monster! Tons of bears bagged that 1st day, maybe they're wiser now with the harvest numbers dropping dramatically afterwards as expected. Thx for posting the details & photos. I wonder if any of the bears taken were tame like that giant in Pennsylvania??? Of course, they are legal too. LOL

Resica

Whoa, that's a monster! Tons of bears bagged that 1st day, maybe they're wiser now with the harvest numbers dropping dramatically afterwards as expected. Thx for posting the details & photos. I wonder if any of the bears taken were tame like that giant in Pennsylvania??? Of course, they are legal too. LOL

I would say yes. Anytime you have bears near high human population densities you are bound to have plenty of habituated bears. That big one from Pa. had a lip id that the N.J. folks did, so that bear was crossing the Delaware river on occasion, must have had family over there.

JerBla

Thats great, Im glad NJ got their head out of thier butt. I use to live in Vernon NJ, where this all took place. It a nice area and it is loaded with black bear. I remember as a kid we use to see lots (6-7) of bear everyday in our backyard. It was always something fun to watch.

BornToHuntAndFish

5th Day NJ Bear Hunt Results, Current Total = 497

Here's a brief update the day before the 6-day hunt ends so see web link below for the rest of the details:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/121010_NJ_bear_hunt_on_eve_of_its_final_day.html

N.J. bear hunt on eve of its final day

Friday, December 10, 2010

A deep freeze descended on Friday, which may have kept both the bears and the hunters indoors. By sundown, only 20 black bears had been taken to check stations, the lightest day of the hunt so far.

All told, 497 bears have been taken in the hunt, out of a population estimated at over 3,400 by the state.

The DEP expects that turnout will be better Saturday, given that it is the final day of six-day firearm season for bear and deer.

Although the controversial bear season is ending, both sides in the battle are already gearing up for next year. Mindful that the state’s Comprehensive Black Bear Management Plan calls for a bear hunt in 2011, animal lovers are planning a protest Saturday at the bear check station at the Whittingham Wildlife Management Area, just outside of Newton, beginning at noon.

As it has done all week, the state is limiting the number of demonstrators. During the week, the state has allowed 25 to 30 demonstrators at the site. On Saturday, it will allow up to 160.

dertiedawg

I would say yes. Anytime you have bears near high human population densities you are bound to have plenty of habituated bears. That big one from Pa. had a lip id that the N.J. folks did, so that bear was crossing the Delaware river on occasion, must have had family over there.
I'm sure he wouldn't admit it if it weren't for that ID on his lip... I know I wouldn't.

Cur'n Plott Man

That's great ! Glad too see the hunter's win one back !!!

dsp270

Are they allowed to use high powered rifles?

Back when I was growing up in NJ you could only use OO buckshot on deer. Not even slugs. One of the guns in the pic looks like a rifle. Would be curious to know.

BornToHuntAndFish

Hope they took care of most of the problems they've been having with the bears up there the last 5 years since the last bear hunt. I wonder if they will continue the NJ bear hunt next year??? Hope so.

jmoser

Back when I was growing up in NJ you could only use OO buckshot on deer. Not even slugs. One of the guns in the pic looks like a rifle. Would be curious to know.

NJ is shotguns or MZ only, slugs OK. No handguns either.
Lived 29 years in that dark hole. :mad:

My wife's nephew is NJ DNR ranger and sent me pix of a 720 lb er taken this year - have pix of him with 600+ lb er tranq'd in the State Park from springtime - would be way over 700 by fall. Whole Northern part of the state is overrun with bears.

BornToHuntAndFish

Good News Related to Last Year's 6-Day NJ Bear Hunt!!!

Here's more good evidence of successful wildlife management confirmation that hunting works & is a very good wildlife management tool.

See web link below for more details besides the one quote:

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20110520/NJNEWS/305200034/Far-fewer-complaints-about-bears

Far fewer complaints about bears

State credits six-day hunt in December, schedules another

May. 21, 2011

"The department received 90 reports of nuisance bears between March 21 and April 20, compared with 305 through the same period in 2010, DEP spokesman Lawrence Ragonese said."

:clap:

Rich Kaminski

There are bear in the southern part of NJ too.
I visited my sister 2 summers ago and when I went out of the back porch to have a smoke I found a black bear had dragged a garbage can into the back yard and was eating from the inside of the can as I smokled a cigarette on the back deck. He didn't seem to mind that I was watching him either.
In her neighbors front lawn I would see a doe and her two fawns every morning eating apples from the neighbors apple trees. So much for the stereotype of the concrete jungle that those who have never visited the state sling around as if they are geographic experts.