***2010 Turkey Challenge Rules - READ THIS BEFORE YOU SIGN UP***

Huntinfool

Woody's/GON Annual 2010 Turkey Challenge!

**Anyone wishing to join up for the turkey challenge must have a minimum 100 posts on the GON forum and must be a member as of February 1st...No one who joins the GON forum after February 1st can participate in the 2010 challenge. NOTE: if you are a member before Feb 1 and lack the 100 post total, you can join when you hit that 100 mark as long as it’s before the sign-up deadline.
(This will help eliminate the "fly bys". Deadline to sign-up is March 12th at 12:00 pm)

** Members will be randomly drawn into 5 man teams. Each hunter will be allowed to enter 3 birds. Each team will be allowed 15 gobblers...There will be no culling this year.

** Points will be awarded as follows

Adult gobblers = 5 points
Jakes= 2points

Adult standards for this contest will be any gobbler with a 6 inch beard or longer...If it's close, a picture with a ruler/tape will be needed to verify...In the rare case that an adult gobbler has beard rot, a picture of the spurs laying on a newspaper to verify the date or a picture of a FULL fan and date verification will be accepted. It will be the judges’ decision to whether or not the gobbler is an adult. The team with the highest number of points at the end of the competition will win.

** Bonus Points...
Any gobbler killed that has an 11 inch beard or longer will earn 2 bonus points. 3 strands of the beard will be eligible for the longest part of the beard. All entries will be reviewed by the judges.
Any gobbler killed that has a 1 1/4 inch spur or longer will earn 2 bonus points. There will be some birds that earn you 4 points on top of your score.

Extra pictures will be needed to verify the bonus points (Close-ups against a ruler to show length or beard and spurs). Once you submit your bird for bonus points that is it...There will be no Pm's sent this year asking you for better pictures. You have 1 hour from the time you post your original pic to edit that pic...After that it’s set.

** To make it fair for everyone, the contest will run along with the Georgia season (March 20-May 15).

** All members will have 7 days to submit a kill (So last day to submit a kill is May 22). A current newspaper will be used to verify the date or you may also verify the date of your kill with a cell phone...The date MUST be visible and CLEAR for all to see...You have one hour to edit your pics after you post them. If you edit your post after that the post is void.

** Each member will need to submit 2 pictures per kill. (More pics are needed for bonus points)

#1 -- Picture of hunter, turkey, and newspaper/phone. (make sure we can identify you. Make sure we can see that it’s an adult gobbler. (full fan or make sure we can see the beard in the pic). YOUR FACE MUST BE VISIBLE IN THE PICTURE OF THE HUNTER WITH BIRD. The gobbler must still be intact in the pics. If we receive a pic where it can't be made out that it is an adult gobbler, you will receive points credit for a jake...

#2 -- Close-up picture of the date for verification.

Longest beard and spur competition:
There will be a several threads started in the turkey challenge forum...One for longest beard, longest spur, and highest scoring hunter. The first person to enter a bird this year should enter into the spur and beard categories. After that, you’re only allowed to enter a bird if it beats or ties the previous bird. Pictures must be clear and unmistakable. This will eliminate everyone wondering who is leading the "longest" categories. The bird has to be accepted in the team entry to be eligible for the spur and beard category. Once again, once you enter your bird, there will be no PM's sent if the pictures are not right...The bird will be deleted and disqualified.

ALL TIES WILL BE BROKEN BY THE DATE/TIME OF THE ENTRY...THE FIRST ONE OF THE TIES THAT ENTERED WILL WIN THE TIE BREAKER.

These are the rules. They will not be changed. We have a strict “no whining” policy this year. You are welcome to voice concerns to either me or HandgunHTR via PM. Either he or I will hear you out, talk to the other judges and make a final decision as fairly as possible.

After that, the matter is closed and if you continue to complain you will be removed from your team and they will be a man down.

Last edited:

Huntinfool

You'll note a few changes from last year....but not many.

The most notable change is that we eliminated the bonus for public land birds. Yes, I agree, sometimes public land birds are "harder". But there was too much bickering about how that was going to be administered last year.

So, this year, a turkey is a turkey is a turkey...no matter where or how you kill it.

Arrow3

Those rules look pretty good.. :D

Gut_Pile

Good set of rules right there. I think it will work out well. I hope at least!

Ricochet

Cool, bring on the turkeys!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hahaha just wait You know we don't read to well somebody is goin to mess it up.

And that right there is exactly why some of us that helped put it on for a couple of years, got fed up with it.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Let me know where to signup!!

G Duck

Did I read right, no more WMA credits? if so that is good.
Thanks to those who are organizing it this year.

Huntinfool

No extra cred for WMA or any other public land. A turkey is a turkey this year. Too much hassle with that rule last year.

The Horned Toad

How you coming on prize donations or are we just going to go for bragging rights?

Dupree

I will donate a custom pot call to the first person who puts up a pic of them guiding a child. The member must be in the challenge but put a kid on a bird before they enter one. Jake, longbeard, it doesn't matter so long as it is during the georgia season with a picture of date to verify along with photos of you with the kid. Age would be 15 and under.

Huntinfool I will leave it up to you. I don't wanna intrude.

Huntinfool

That's outside of what I'm operating under the rules man. That's a great thing you want to do and I'm totally in support of it. But I'll let you take that "side prize". I'm gonna have enough on my plate when the chaos starts.

We'll let folks post up pics and you can pick who the winner is right off the bat. Great idea though. Way to encourage folks to get more kids involved!