2023 Zambia Hunt.

Billie keys

48 hours of travel and Im still not home thanks to a delayed QATAR flight, so I’m bored. I spent 10 days hunting the Luangwa Valley in Zambia for Buffalo and plains game. I could have taken animals every day, but trophy fees aren’t cheap. I ended up with a buff, kudu, puku, waterbuck, and zebra. Unfortunately, now I can’t wait to go back. Looks like I’ll soon be starting an Onlyfans account to hopefully pay for another hunt. . All the plains game took 1 200gr Accubond from my 300wsm, and the buff took 3 400gr TSX’s from a .416 Rigby, even though the first shot killed him.
I am also curious re: cost, I did 10 days In Mozambique, took buff, eland, sable, nyala and some other plains game. What can you tell me re: Qatar Air, probably flying them in August to Africa. Thanks.

Jetjockey

I am also curious re: cost, I did 10 days In Mozambique, took buff, eland, sable, nyala and some other plains game. What can you tell me re: Qatar Air, probably flying them in August to Africa. Thanks.
Since enough guys asked. $10k for the hunt, $8k for concession fees, $12k for trophy fees, $5k for tips, and $5k for airfare, but that included trips to Joburg and then two round trips for when my family came for photo safari. Basically, $35-$40k for a trip like we did. With that said, Africa can be done much cheaper, but we wanted free range, might get eaten, real Africa.

Qatar is great, and my FIL upgraded to Business, which wasn’t that much more expensive, but the service was 10x better. Lay flat seats on that long of flights is pretty nice.

FFg

Congratulations. Sounds like an awesome hunt.

What brand of rifle is that in your puku picture? That stock is beautiful.

Big7

The Oracle
Since enough guys asked. $10k for the hunt, $8k for concession fees, $12k for trophy fees, $5k for tips, and $5k for airfare, but that included trips to Joburg and then two round trips for when my family came for photo safari. Basically, $35-$40k for a trip like we did. With that said, Africa can be done much cheaper, but we wanted free range, might get eaten, real Africa.

Qatar is great, and my FIL upgraded to Business, which wasn’t that much more expensive, but the service was 10x better. Lay flat seats on that long of flights is pretty nice.
How long of a flight non stop to anywhere in Africa be? Or did you have to do a lot of connecting flights?

I seriously don't know. The only long trips I have taken were 2 non stop, round trips to London.
That's been a while but I don't remember them being all that long.

Since you said Africa might be cheaper to book a PH than Alaska, you done got me wanting to go to Africa with a PH and maybe do a DYI in Alaska. With a little research, I could probably handle that anyway.

20K would be more my speed. I would have a hard time dropping 40K since retirement. If I was still working, might be a different story.
(I might go back to work in a year anyway)

You got any websites or phone numbers to the outfitters you used? That would be a big help.

Jetjockey

How long of a flight non stop to anywhere in Africa be? Or did you have to do a lot of connecting flights?

I seriously don't know. The only long trips I have taken were 2 non stop, round trips to London.
That's been a while but I don't remember them being all that long.

Since you said Africa might be cheaper to book a PH than Alaska, you done got me wanting to go to Africa with a PH and maybe do a DYI in Alaska. With a little research, I could probably handle that anyway.

20K would be more my speed. I would have a hard time dropping 40K since retirement. If I was still working, might be a different story.
(I might go back to work in a year anyway)

You got any websites or phone numbers to the outfitters you used? That would be a big help.
We booked through The Hunting Consortium, and hunted with Johnny Du Plooy.

You can fly direct to Johannesburg from ATL, and it’s about 16 hours. Then it was a 2 hour flight to Lusaka, which is the capital of Zambia.

deers2ward

Congratulations!

What is the expected timeline for your trophies departing Africa and then arriving at your taxidermist of choice in the US?

Jetjockey

Congratulations!

What is the expected timeline for your trophies departing Africa and then arriving at your taxidermist of choice in the US?
The PH said about eight months to get them cleaned enough for shipping. I guess there’s lots of hoops they have to jump through. I figure 3 years to get them back. The taxidermist I’m going to use is two years out.

deers2ward

The PH said about eight months to get them cleaned enough for shipping. I guess there’s lots of hoops they have to jump through. I figure 3 years to get them back. The taxidermist I’m going to use is two years out.
8 months is better than I would have expected. FYI, last month I contacted quite a few of the prominent taxidermists in the US (Monarch, Dewey, Kanati, Double Nickel, Zimmerman, Wildlife Revolutions) and turnaround averaged 12 months, with the main delay being the tannery (Wildlife gallery). Zimmerman Wildlife was the shortest, at around 6 months.

Jetjockey

8 months is better than I would have expected. FYI, last month I contacted quite a few of the prominent taxidermists in the US (Monarch, Dewey, Kanati, Double Nickel, Zimmerman, Wildlife Revolutions) and turnaround averaged 12 months, with the main delay being the tannery (Wildlife gallery). Zimmerman Wildlife was the shortest, at around 6 months.
I’m using Todd Rapalee in VA. One of the most expensive, and longest wait times. :)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

WOOHOO! Free range, might get eaten, REAL AFRICA! WOOHOO! Thanks for sharing such an incredible trip with us and well done I might add! Congratulations on your success! :cheers:

FWIW-I’d say the trip was worth every penny!