@2nd Rut?

AliBubba

I have had trouble in the past figuring out if the 2nd rut is true and what are the date ranges in the north Georgia mountains. Any insights from fellow hunters would be great!

kayaksteve

If it is a doe that went unbred in the first rut(which I think is pretty rare) I think she would come back into estrus around 28+- days later. But young does can come into their first estrus any time. They come into estrus the first time when they hit around 90 pounds. That’s probably what we see and consider the second rut is the young of the year coming into their first estrus cycle.

kayaksteve

Probably. I think the peak of the main rut on up in the mountains is around the first week of December in the areas I hunt. But that’s just solely based on the chasing I’ve seen in the past. I think I have a chance of running into a hot doe anytime between now and Christmas just gotta be in the right spot at the right time.

James12

Not uncommon for a doe to go unbred during a cycle, especially with a lopsided buck to doe ratio.

sghoghunter

I don’t know if it’s a second rut or just a stretched out first rut but at our lease the first of December always seem to be better than around thanksgiving when they say the rut should be. October 28th I hung a couple cameras on some good scrapes in areas that’s hard to get to just to see what’s on them so I know they were scraping then but there’s also fresh scrapes on the ground this morning as usual. Also I’m starting to see the better bucks show up on cameras that went missing after velvet shedded.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
just repeating what I've read and heard, I've read and heard on video/pod cast that most yearlin does will come into their 1st heat durin the 2nd rut.
Which is, according to the same experts writing and pod casting, 28 days after the 1st

Darkhorse

Anyone know how long a doe stays receptive during her cycle?
I'm not sure about a deer but I do know about horses and I would think the 2 are similar. I won't go into the details about the egg finally attaching itself to the horn but once the egg itself becomes viable then the mare will be receptive from approx. 5 to 10 days. Average around 5 days. It will vary from mare (doe) to horse. A google search may give you better data. It's been years since I stopped breeding my horses and some details have been forgotten.

Darkhorse

BTW I like hunting the 2nd rut. I've killed a lot of deer, including nice bucks over the years. I still hunt the main rut and I look for the 2nd rut about 28 days after the first rut.

Latest posts