Buck tarsals

patriot15joe

I hung some doe tarsals that were taken during the rut last year. Deer paid no mind to them. Wondering if hanging tarsals from a dominant Buck from last year’s rut would help or hurt. Estrus seems to always spook does. Has anyone had success with Buck tarsals? Seems to be a wide range of opinion on across the web articles,

CarolinaDawg

I hung some doe tarsals that were taken during the rut last year. Deer paid no mind to them. Wondering if hanging tarsals from a dominant Buck from last year’s rut would help or hurt. Estrus seems to always spook does. Has anyone had success with Buck tarsals? Seems to be a wide range of opinion on across the web articles,
I’ve tried a lot stuff over the years and to be honest, the only way scent has ever been a factor for me in deer hunting is the control of my own. I’ve come to the conclusion that the rest of it is hunting industry marketing

basshappy

BANNED

How did you hang them? Where did you hang them? In what manner did the deer ignore them?

We have success in using tarsals, but we may use them differently than you.

If the buck was the dominant buck and you use his tarsals in same area he lived you may keep other bucks away.

basshappy

BANNED
@patriot15joe our preferred method to use tarsals is to grab the urine from the deer while taking the tarsals. I will fill a bottle with the urine and wearing cleaned gloves place each tarsal in a cleaned ziploc bag. All 3 go in a cooler with ice block to keep cool. I don't freeze either urine or tarsal.

Come hunting time we take 1 tarsal bag and pour some urine in it and mix it up. Now you have the natural urine tarsal aroma blend. I use a cleaned needle and push braided fishing line through the tarsal and tie a knot around the tarsal. Always wearing gloves that are clean and by now this pair pf gloves has urine and tarsal scent on them. Now I have a urine tarsal on fishing line and we will walk and 'X' pattern with the center point being where we post up to hunt. Hold the fishing line so the tarsal is about 12 -16 inches off the ground and walk the 'X'. We go about 25 yards in all 4 directions. The hanging tarsal will brush against whatever plants but also drip urine as we walk. Not running urine but like a deer every here and there a drop or a brush against a plant. You now have that scent all around your post position. Back at the Center of the 'X' where we are on the ground or in a tree or some type of stand we will re-wet the tarsal in urine and this is the part my boy loves - swing it around overhead! He calls it the tinkler sprinkler. LOL. We now have a cover scent of tarsal urine as some of the drops fall on us and around our position.

Using this method we have brought in does and bucks both young and mature. We do not leave the tarsal hanging anymore as we watched how deer reacted to walking up to the hanging tarsal and decided once we set up back in the bag it goes.

You could theorize if a doe was not ready then having the buck tarsal scent may keep the doe away, and if you harvested a dominant buck tarsal then other sub bucks may stay away. But either way, if you are interested give it a try and see what happens. Getting that urine with the tarsal is key especially during rut.

leroy

@patriot15joe Back at the Center of the 'X' where we are on the ground or in a tree or some type of stand we will re-wet the tarsal in urine and this is the part my boy loves - swing it around overhead! He calls it the tinkler sprinkler. LOL. We now have a cover scent of tarsal urine as some of the drops fall on us and around our position.
Thats a big negative on the tinkler sprinkler lol, sorry not that dedicated

basshappy

BANNED
Thats a big negative on the tinkler sprinkler lol, sorry not that dedicated

Yeah it is an acquired fragrance. Ha ha. But it gets on outerwear not on skin so the potentially harmful bacteria on the tarsal hair stay off us. We have 2 sets of gear so we can quick change if we need to for any reason.

If a doe in estrus then we'll post up in the high ground - tree branches, tree crotch, climbing stand, etc. BTW I found out through a real curious buck why doe estrus urine tarsal is best used when yer off the ground. My boy and I were along a river and we were following a buck. After 20 minutes or so the buck stopped not far from us and just sniffing that air. When he moved toward us I told my boy to climb a tree. The buck came closer and closer to me. I was videotaping him and at some point I thought man he could be on me in a few seconds as fast as a deer can move. I thought he would turn off and go about his business. We are maybe 30 feet apart and it dawned on me I am wearing tan, crouched down, and I have doe estrus urine on my outwear. We weren't hunting, just out enjoying the woods and river. I forgot I put on old hunting outerwear until I realized maybe the buck is wondering what I am smelling so good. The doe estrus urine tarsal. At this point I am speaking normal voice to my boy telling him to stay in tree and can he see the deer and I. Buck paused for a moment, then advanced a few steps toward me, at which point I stopped recording and stood up. We stared at each other and I slowly backed away up the bank through the grass and he stood sniffing and watching. When I got to a spot I could use trees as barrier I stopped and watched him. He lowered his head and then walked back toward the river and moved on. We learned the lesson don't wear scent outerwear unknowingly.

Mackie889

@patriot15joe our preferred method to use tarsals is to grab the urine from the deer while taking the tarsals. I will fill a bottle with the urine and wearing cleaned gloves place each tarsal in a cleaned ziploc bag. All 3 go in a cooler with ice block to keep cool. I don't freeze either urine or tarsal.

Come hunting time we take 1 tarsal bag and pour some urine in it and mix it up. Now you have the natural urine tarsal aroma blend. I use a cleaned needle and push braided fishing line through the tarsal and tie a knot around the tarsal. Always wearing gloves that are clean and by now this pair pf gloves has urine and tarsal scent on them. Now I have a urine tarsal on fishing line and we will walk and 'X' pattern with the center point being where we post up to hunt. Hold the fishing line so the tarsal is about 12 -16 inches off the ground and walk the 'X'. We go about 25 yards in all 4 directions. The hanging tarsal will brush against whatever plants but also drip urine as we walk. Not running urine but like a deer every here and there a drop or a brush against a plant. You now have that scent all around your post position. Back at the Center of the 'X' where we are on the ground or in a tree or some type of stand we will re-wet the tarsal in urine and this is the part my boy loves - swing it around overhead! He calls it the tinkler sprinkler. LOL. We now have a cover scent of tarsal urine as some of the drops fall on us and around our position.

Using this method we have brought in does and bucks both young and mature. We do not leave the tarsal hanging anymore as we watched how deer reacted to walking up to the hanging tarsal and decided once we set up back in the bag it goes.

You could theorize if a doe was not ready then having the buck tarsal scent may keep the doe away, and if you harvested a dominant buck tarsal then other sub bucks may stay away. But either way, if you are interested give it a try and see what happens. Getting that urine with the tarsal is key especially during rut.
Great stuff there! Thanks for sharing!

cliffdweller

Man, this is awesome, love it! I'm going to give this a try and report back. Sounds like the reason I go to the deer woods in the first place...in order to feel like a man sometimes you just gotta sling some pee! Thanks for the very unique idea!

cliffdweller

Here's a buck I've been chasing for years and I got him on Saturday morning at 9. And yes, a fresh tarsal gland was hanging close by

Attachments

• 20231104_095414.jpg
    20231104_095414.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20231104_094304.jpg
    20231104_094304.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 62

cliffdweller

It could be dangerous to get it on you too.
Much respect Nic on this observation for sure, but if I go down it's gonna be swinging for the cheap seats. You can get gored by 10 gazillion limbs, sticks, and rocks trying to get to your spot way before that ole booner sticks you.

basshappy

BANNED
@cliffdweller congrats on your buck.

I have one set of disposable gloves cleaned for tarsal removal. In the bags they go. Gloves thrown out. Process deer. Then pull the bladder and get the pee. If you try it update us. Doe in estrus tarsals and pee are an amazing buck attractant.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Best thing I've seen stop deer in their tracks is a banana peel. Hanging on a limb, I've watched deer running come to a stop. Then go back to smell the peeling. Who would have thought?