Aggressive calling techniques...Do you?

buckpasser

Baller, shot caller.... 20 inch blades on the impala:sneaky:

I did “call” this one. You are triggered, but relax, you’re probably gonna be a good deer hunter someday. Just listen more and talk less when the grown ups start up a good thread.

Buckstop

One of my better bucks came straight in to a hail mary rattling sequence after he got across a grass road at about 250 yrds without stopping for a shot. Could barely see him going away in a mature thinned pine block. Had nothing to lose. So I hit the horns the second he was out of site, and loud. 30 secs later he was stomping right to me, all bristle up and I killed him at 40 yrds.

He probably would have come to a grunt call but not sure he would have heard it. Who knows, may have spooked tons of them since, but I don't ever worry these days about scaring off one I really want by making deer sounds.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Looks like i will be studying YouTube snort wheeze videos.
Best of luck to all of you
Look for Sidney wells with slockmaster…..she’ll show you how to do it!

I always like to grunt call and have had great results! For sure, it adds to the fun factor as well. But a few weeks ago, I rattled on the ground, busted up the leaves and stomped with the antlers trying to sound like 2 deer going at it……I had a basket rack buck come to 10-12 yards for what seemed like forever! He actually busted me, took off And thankfully I had my grunt call around my neck, had the wherewithal to blow into it and he turned around and came right back…….then the show began!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
There's this guy that no one has heard of, but he has a secret recipe for calling Georgia bucks. It's fool proof. What you thought you knew.... Throw it out the window. But you'll never figure out his secret to success. Because it's the best most secret bestest "sequence" there ever was. Guaranteed to bring you a nontypical 5 pointer to within 125 yards. Put that 6.5 creed ar platform right thru his pump station . Rattle rattle her come the cattle!

Last edited:

buckpasser

Dude you can't relax. I don't get it. Why are you so on edge? It was a joke. you sir, are very insecure in your outdoors life. But I would bet you don't want to compare trophy rooms or other types of hunting and fishing. . And you have to use the gun crutch too I bet. You're a fairly sad lil fellow.

Triggered! And I could care less about comparing anything with you or any other internet cowboy. It tickles me that you would have to post up after I predicted such antics in my earlier post! Lol!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
It's actually "couldn't" care less, unless you actually feel like you could care less, in which case you would need to dig deeper and "care" less than you do now. It's either a misunderstanding of the English language or the actual ability to "care less" than you do now.

James12

Was enjoying this one, and I again second the does coming to a grunt just as often as the buck. Good info in this thread!

Long Cut

The biggest reason I feel guys aren’t successful at calling is because they’re being smelled and/or no deer is being seen where the calls are coming from.

Very similar to turkey hunting, hunt the top of a hill and pitch your calls off the side, so an animal must fully commit to see what made that noise.
Hunt the very edge of a thicket and call into it, be ready & able to shoot into the thicket (12G slug, 45-70…)

I’ve had a lot of luck calling in bucks over the last 2-3 years specifically. Killed a couple, missed a few and passed a lot more in doing so.

My biggest takeaway is to setup for calling.
- You need to be able to see downwind of your position- that’s where some of the more wary bucks might swing to.
- There needs to be a visual barrier so the buck has to come up close, or within shooting range.

Great topic

sleepr71

Rarely..unless it’s the peak of the rut & have everything in MY favor. I’ll use a Grunt call to stop,or turn a Buck to get a shot…but just blindly Rattling/Grunting..nah. It’s to THICK where I hunt & too easy for one to sneak downwind..and spook + educate them. It DOES work though..just have to have all the stars aligned. Good friend of mine killed his biggest buck of his life…scraping the mud off of his boots. He had just went up a Pine tree with his climber..and proceeded to scrape the mud off his boots on the bottom part. He was on the edge of a thicket & this buck must have thought the noise was another big buck rubbing/scraping. He came in all bristled up..like a dog looking for a fight! 148” 8-pointer. Whole hunt lasted 5 minutes…pure…LUCK.. :)

ribber

I have had success with grunts many times and always have it with me. The primos can is good too, but I can't say I've ever called a shooter buck in with it, but does and yearlings will sometimes come running to it.
The one thing I've noticed over 30 years of hunting is that it seems the deer in some areas are more/less responsive to calls. Growing up, we had land on the Oconee river and those deer were much more responsive to calls in my experience. I'm in a lease now in a different area of the county and they don't seem to respond as well to calls. Not sure if it's a different strain of deer, or maybe I'm not factoring in all the different variables of the land, bedding areas, etc. Calls still work there, but not as good as when I was hunting the river bottoms and ridges years ago.

Kris87

The wind is a big factor that I didn't mention. If you see a buck who is on the verge of getting your wind, don't give him more reason to just get downwind. They're like coyotes in that regard. They're going to get downwind if they can. I've called plenty in close that circled downwind and knew something was up, but by that time there's normally already leakage from the lungs. :)

buckpasser

You could add a lot more if you'd divulge your super bestest secret. But then all the Georgia booners would Die in the span of a couple seasons.
Errrbody is on the edge of thier seats.

Whatever do you mean? You already know it all. Deer calling is overrated and a “sequence” is ridiculous. Two people asked me for the info last thread and I PM’d them my recipe. Both of them have now rattled in a buck and I rattled in and killed a big ten last week. It’s probably all coincidence I bet…

Like I said, you’d be ahead to keep that keyboard cold and that monitor hot boy. You might learn something.