Tactics For Night Time Bucks

Long Cut

My experience with mature deer like that, they know they’re being hunted and only enter under the cover of darkness. They always seem to enter from the lowest point where the thermals are dropping to, or the downwind side. Wherever they have a wind advantage and can scent check the bait pile to check for predators, before exposing themselves.

My advice is to move the corn pile to a more strategic location and to hunt downhill & downwind of said corn pile. At least 100 yards away. Wait for a cold front and slide in there.

It truly is a Chess match with some of these old bucks. They don’t get old in a State with a 4 month long rifle season by making mistakes.

RedFoxx

to yall complaining about line hunters i would rather have someone sitting on my line with their back to my land than sitting 50 yards off the line shooting my way.. kind of makes sense to me...all you got to do is make it so they cant shoot behind them and its a lot safer than what you are doing.. I believe i have the right to hunt every inch of my land and i could care less whether the neighbor likes it or not..i will not shoot across a property line no matter how big or small but as soon as it steps on my land boom! if its one i want to shoot..
and i use jamesvalley full rut gel and when the wind blows toward the neighbors land i put it out and the bucks come my way..if you have never tried it i have been using it for years and every year when i put it out i start getting different bucks ...and nice ones too...they love the stuff...

Gator89

Those of us that hunt farm land don't have much choice but hunt to the edges and often that edge is a property line..

As noted above, it is safer for me to shoot towards the middle of our rented ground, than sit in the middle and shoot towards the property line.

We have a neighboring club that has a tripod with one leg on our side of the line, they call it the survey stand because the survey marker is under the stand. But we get along, and one of their members is half brother to one of ours. If I am at camp by myself, I will go over and eat supper with them, watch TV in the evening, etc. I went up Labor day weekend alone, the neighbors invited me to a fish fry.

Big7

The Oracle
You have to do a lot of Subdivision and dirt road riding to pattern them right.

You ain't going to kill any during the day.

I saw prolly 20 deer (no telling how many I didn't see) just last night from 7:30 until about midnight in 7 or 8 different places, miles apart, most of them.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. Hard to drive, hold a fone camera and a spot light at the same time so I deleted a BUNCH of pictures.

This first pic was a monster. Don't know how many points, I need a better light but the fone tried to focus on grass seed pod. The Buck is up about 12 o clock from the spotlight beam. You can see the eyes good and barely make out a rack.
20231010_193319.jpg20231010_193337.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
6 or 7 in this one spot. Ony one set of eyes but broadsides everywhere.20231010_221510.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Last night was just cruising dirt roads. Hitting the subdivisions tonight. 10 or so in this pic. I need a good camera.20231010_223617.jpg20231010_223610.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Start shooting firecrackers all times of the night to get the deer... Errr... I mean, the neighbors acclimated to LOUD, "POPING" noises.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You have to do a lot of Subdivision and dirt road riding to pattern them right.

You ain't going to kill any during the day.

I saw prolly 20 deer (no telling how many I didn't see) just last night from 7:30 until about midnight in 7 or 8 different places, miles apart, most of them.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. Hard to drive, hold a fone camera and a spot light at the same time so I deleted a BUNCH of pictures.

This first pic was a monster. Don't know how many points, I need a better light but the fone tried to focus on grass seed pod. The Buck is up about 12 o clock from the spotlight beam. You can see the eyes good and barely make out a rack.
View attachment 1260825View attachment 1260826

Don't get caught.

And yes, you can and will kill them during daylight hours, if they are there and you hunt right.

Toliver

Kris87

It`s been my experience that if deer, bucks included, don`t know they are being hunted or disturbed they will move at all hours

I'd agree with the exception of September and October. When the velvet sheds, I don't see them in the middle of the day as much. When the acorns fall, same thing. But other than that, I'd agree with you.

The BIGGEST difference I see between hunters that kill big deer consistently and those that might stumble across one from time to time, is people who kill consistently just don't booger up their opportunities before they have that first chance. Are you hunting them in the mornings when you shouldn't be. Is your wind wrong? Is your wind wrong for entry and exit? Can you even get out of an area correctly? A mature whitetail is smart, but obviously not as smart as a human. I don't know too many dumb big buck killers. :cool:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I'd agree with the exception of September and October. When the velvet sheds, I don't see them in the middle of the day as much. When the acorns fall, same thing. But other than that, I'd agree with you.

The BIGGEST difference I see between hunters that kill big deer consistently and those that might stumble across one from time to time, is people who kill consistently just don't booger up their opportunities before they have that first chance. Are you hunting them in the mornings when you shouldn't be. Is your wind wrong? Is your wind wrong for entry and exit? Can you even get out of an area correctly? A mature whitetail is smart, but obviously not as smart as a human. I don't know too many dumb big buck killers. :cool:

All year long. And I stand behind what I said, Kris. I don't base this on the internet or book learning. I base it on 60 years of what the woods and swamp have taught me. And I hunt those type deer. Not the one's that feed in peoples yards and dodge cars in towns.

And I have pictures here on this forum to prove it.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have a guy sitting no less that two feet against my fence. I gotta get down there and hang a few wind chimes on my side before opening day. Hey, it's my side! I can do what I want, right?
Guess so. Maybe the wind will blow. Maybe not. Bet the deer will get use to it.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Of course you can. He did. Isn't that a frame of a young Jeff Foxworthy doing a redneck hunting skit?
Indeed it is, "Incomplete deer hunter" I believe it is called... However, my statement of surprise was directed at true events. :)

Kris87

All year long. And I stand behind what I said, Kris. I don't base this on the internet or book learning. I base it on 60 years of what the woods and swamp have taught me. And I hunt those type deer. Not the one's that feed in peoples yards and dodge cars in towns.

And I have pictures here on this forum to prove it.

There's nothing to prove, not to me anyways. I just stated my opinion, as did you, based on what I've seen in the woods.

I am very hard headed when it comes to my hunting knowledge. Same as my archery tuning knowledge. I only believe what I've learned from personal experience.

I'm not a Kanye West fan, but he wrote a song called "Can't tell me nothing" that I like a lot. That sums me up. :)