Tactics For Night Time Bucks

bduf11

Would like some expert advice how to get a chance at mature bucks that come in just after shooting light. I have a pictures of a nice buck coming in around 8-8:30 nearly every night right now. I have a fairly good idea on where he is bedding however it is across our properly line and I am setup as close as I can be without hunting on the neighbors property. Do you have any tips or advice on what I can do to get him out of his bed earlier? Or is my best bet just waiting on the rut and hoping he is still around?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I would set cameras up on your place away from the plot he’s coming to. Find areas close to where u get the pics now that he may use. All deer walk in the day. Don’t be invasive. Look for a finger head close by.
Keep a camera also where u have it now.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

Hunter922

What is he coming Into ? Corn/ food source?
If it's corn move it as far away from where you are now and can still see it.. May get him in a little earlier.
The ladies will help you out in about 2 weeks.

CarolinaDawg

Would like some expert advice how to get a chance at mature bucks that come in just after shooting light. I have a pictures of a nice buck coming in around 8-8:30 nearly every night right now. I have a fairly good idea on where he is bedding however it is across our properly line and I am setup as close as I can be without hunting on the neighbors property. Do you have any tips or advice on what I can do to get him out of his bed earlier? Or is my best bet just waiting on the rut and hoping he is still around?
Good ole property line hunting….

bassculler

Rut, hunting does and only hunting stands when conditions ( cold, wind etc) are right, have made the biggest impact on me over the years. The issue i see a lot is most people cant lay off the does. They just have to kill them. The doe is your best friend during rut. Just watch them. And be ready.

Toliver

flashlight and crossbow
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking it. But I was thinking spotlight and silencer. :bounce:

But as others have said, the rut will make him change his habits. I don't think much else will get him moving earlier.

rstallings1979

Rut, hunting does and only hunting stands when conditions ( cold, wind etc) are right, have made the biggest impact on me over the years. The issue i see a lot is most people cant lay off the does. They just have to kill them. The doe is your best friend during rut. Just watch them. And be ready.
I agree. I will not kill a doe until after Dec 1st on our place. I have a creek bottom stand I will only hunt after a front has come through and the wind is out of the N to NW.

I try to look at fronts coming in for mature deer. If one is approaching I would hunt him hard on the day of it arriving and the two days after in an area where you have been getting him on camera.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree. I will not kill a doe until after Dec 1st on our place. I have a creek bottom stand I will only hunt after a front has come through and the wind is out of the N to NW.

I try to look at fronts coming in for mature deer. If one is approaching I would hunt him hard on the day of it arriving and the two days after in an area where you have been getting him on camera.
I’m the same way when it comes to shooting does . Except I usually wait until the last 2 weeks

BamaGeorgialine

He may not be as far away as you think he is. I have a particular buck showing up right after shooting light in the afternoons. He shows up on another camera of mine 150 yards from the other and it typically takes him 20 minutes to get from one to the other. No telling where he'll be during the rut. I'd think the pre-rut, about the last week of October he may start daylighting a little earlier.

buckpasser

I have a recipe for success. It involves 3 pints of Tink’s 69, a hatchet, a well placed trip line, some JB Weld, a jar of peanut butter, and a realistic deer decoy. 60 percent of the time, it works every time. Problem is, I promised the dying Indian that taught it to me, I’d never share it with another pale skin.

Seriously though, I’d just wait and let the rut change him for you. It’s not worth a rattling attempt just yet IMO.