Tactics For Night Time Bucks

Huntinfool

I'll add my vote to those who've shared to wait for the rut to really get going.

Only thing I'd add that I don't believe anyone else brought up is to primarily hunt a stand (or stands) that hunts the wind well with cold air pushing south from cold fronts out of the north.

Primarily hunting cold fronts has really served me well on my place. In recent years I've picked my days extremely carefully, only hunting cold days and/or mild days on the heels of particularly cold weather and hunting less has actually made for significantly better hunting than when I was hunting more often, sweating on the way to stands, and giving the deer more of a chance to be educated on my presence.

View attachment 1261364

I'd say you have some fairly consistent genetics on your place! Either that or one really old and really potent buck. Very cool picture.

sghoghunter

This right here is your best bet on a nocturnal buck haha. Twenty years ago I wouldn’t have thought twice about using one but I’ve gotten older and watched bigger bucks than I’ve killed stand 50 to 100 yards away and think they can’t be seen. I’d bet $1 there’s a buck or two in the GON contest that’s been caught in one

Attachments

• IMG_0752.jpeg
    IMG_0752.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 18

DynamicDennis

This right here is your best bet on a nocturnal buck haha. Twenty years ago I wouldn’t have thought twice about using one but I’ve gotten older and watched bigger bucks than I’ve killed stand 50 to 100 yards away and think they can’t be seen. I’d bet $1 there’s a buck or two in the GON contest that’s been caught in one
I'm sure there is. Some people will do some unsavory things for a big deer, or recognition. Karma always wins, in one way or another.