30-06 ammo

Big7

The Oracle
You'd be hard pressed to find a factory 30- 06 cartridge that DON'T work on a Deer.

Unless you are handloading and running target bullets that are not designed to stay together, at least somewhat....

Well, you know the rest, shot placement, blah, blah... A HUGE Whitetail might go 250 on a good day. They ain't that hard to kill.

And... An 8 inch "group" is plenty good enough to hunt Deer. You don't need to be able to strike matches unless you are clocking some yardage. Most southeast hunters ain't.

MOTS

Winchester Power Points would be my choice as far as readily available ammo such as Walmart. I just don't trust Remington products any longer.

Big7

The Oracle
Winchester Power Points would be my choice as far as readily available ammo such as Walmart. I just don't trust Remington products any longer.
Why? Not knocking, just curious.
I shoot Winchester a good bit but mostly 22 and shotgun shells. Winchester components are good for handliading too, I just don't buy many store bought rifle cartridges.

This Winchester blew up on me today and I never got around to posting in the reloading forum. It blew the back of the case completely off. Funny thing was, it split the radius part of the rim directly in the center. Case stuck in the chamber.

You can see if you zoom in close.

That blowed my autoloader's bolt back and sprayed me with burning powder and hot shrapnel.

Never had any trouble with Winchester or Remington before except a putter or 2 in the bulk 22 lr.
20230926_141932_HDR.jpg20230926_203729.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Numerous things, faulty 700 triggers, the Remlin 30/30, went south on the 1100 design, bankruptcy, etc.
Ok... I ain't never fooled with any of them.
The only Remington I have is a 1968 1100 and it is sweet.

I ain't never had a problem with Remington ammunition tho and I even TRY to find Rem shotgun shells if the shot size I want are in stock
Remington makes real good shotgun shells.

hikingthehills

Hornady Superformance SST's! That's all I buy for my Rem 700. I love the consistency in my grouping at 100 yards. It's item# 81093

I used to shoot Remington Core-Lokt (great round btw!) but, I've had such great success with it on whitetails that I don't want to switch to anything else lol
X2 on the SST's!

35 Whelen

Vista Outdoor, the company that owns ammunition makers Federal, Speer and CCI, purchased Remington's ammunition business based in Lonoke, Arkansas.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Vista Outdoor, the company that owns ammunition makers Federal, Speer and CCI, purchased Remington's ammunition business based in Lonoke, Arkansas.

I understand folks' concern about Remington just before bankruptcy, but now that Vista Outdoors is at the helm of Rem Ammo, I've got no qualms whatsoever about their current-production ammo.

Core Lokt

I shoot 165g CL's in my .06 my dad's will only pattern 180g for some reason. Both are Rem pumps but his is a carbine.

furtaker

I shoot 165g CL's in my .06 my dad's will only pattern 180g for some reason. Both are Rem pumps but his is a carbine.
I shoot the 165 Core Lokts in mine as well. They group surprisingly well in my 700. They are deer killers. I don't get an exit every time but the deer are always laying close by.

krizia829

Never have lost a deer with a rifle. Shot corelokts for years. Noticed it would kill deer but no blood. Switched to hornady SST 150 and have never had to worry about trailing. Don’t set yourself to one specific bullet. I know they are expensive but buy a couple different and see how your gun shoots them. My 300 loves the ELDX but my 30.06 drives tacks at 300yds with the SST’s
Mine too! I gladly spend a little more on the SST's vs Core-Lokt.

Deer usually DRT but the few that run leave a very nice trail and never make it far.

Deadly round and very accurate on my 700SPS

Big7

The Oracle
The Hornday rounds listed prior are what I use on GA Whitetail...
They make good stuff.
Check out their podcasts on the YouTube Channel. They do some serious deep dives on everything boolit related.

Their "mid price point line" cartridges are for the hunter and are at an affordable price- especially when you compare the quality.

Their mid- cost lines are as good or better than a lot of the other companies premium lines.

I use a lot of Hornady components and they all work as advertised provided you put them together correctly.