.450 Bushmaster besides me anyone try it?

shdw633

I have one. I used it last year in Michigan and got a big doe with it. Love the gun!! I am going to be using it in Georgia this year as well as Michigan again. Great gun for a climber as it is so lightweight and really packs a punch when it hits a deer.

FOLES55

Purty gun no doubt

shdw633

I've been seriously considering one.

Don't know if you have held one yet or not but once you pick one up you'll realize what I think really makes this rifle shine. It's short and really light, which is great if you have long distances to carry, got multiple items to pack in or climb a tree. As well, it can reach out there a good bit and like we stated it can really lay the hammer down. I really think it will be a great all around gun for Georgia.

Last edited:

Timberman

That's my thoughts too. I am into light and looking for something with a little more oomph than the Mini 14 I've lately been carrying.

Pics make a post better

mini.jpg

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
The .450B is an awesome cartridge. Recoil is mild compared to the .45-70, it is more of a push, like that from a .20 GA slug. You can see your target when the bullet hits... as long as you have a good purchase on the rifle. The cartridge does well out of short barrels (mine is 16”) It makes a big hole. I can hit targets easily out to 200 yards. I have / can hit targets out past 300 yards, but I consider that too far for hunting (with this cartridge). It is a great brush rifle cartridge. Light weight / compact rifles. I killed two bucks with it this past year...both DRT.

Lilly001

I've been looking at one to hang a suppressor on.
I'm just not sure I can load it subsonic safely with existing powders.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
How much does it weigh?
What’s attached to the scope?
The rifle weighs about six pounds, without the sling and scope. I like it mostly because it is so compact, easy to carry and move to and in the stand. A brushgun.

The “attachment” on the scope is a Trijicon Ruggedized Miniature Reflex (RMR) Sight. Is popular with military and Action Shooters (3gun). It lets you shoot multiple things quickly or something moving quickly. Semi auto or full auto weapons mostly. I don’t use it for that purpose. I do not shoot at running deer... or even ones that are walking fast.

I had one for a Competition Gun and realized that it could give me a new capability out of the deer stand. So I kinda modified the application. And I thought “I would try it”... I liked it so much that I will keep it on the Scout Rifle.

I set up the mount so that it aligns with my right eye if I shoot left handed (left shoulder), so now if a buck comes from the direction that I don’t expect, I can keep my body still and raise up the rifle to my left shoulder and can shoot 360 degrees using the sight...without moving my feet or body. No more difficult shooting positions. I really like it. If the deer is too close to risk the noise or movement for a right hand shot, I can easily make the otherwise awkward shot off my left shoulder... if the deer is say past what I consider the deer hunting RMR range of about 60 yards then I can probably risk the turn around movement in my stand and use the traditional 3x9 Leupold scope (right shoulder). If the deer is real close on my strong side I can disregard the 3x9 and shoot with the RMR on my right shoulder. No worries about not finding a deer in a scope that has too much magnification. The RMR has no magnification. It does not project a laser forward of the weapon, just a dot onto the lens of the sight (which is legal) then point and shoot.

So if you have ever struggled to shoot a deer because he chose to come from a weird or unexpected direction... then you might like the “off set” RMR.

shdw633

I don't think it's that bad personally but as always you should wear ear protection when shooting any rifle. When I am sighting in I have ear protection but in the field I don't and as I stated it doesn't seem that bad to me.

Ugahunter2013

I use a 45-70 at times. A lot of people complain and say it kicks alot. I think they just need take up bowhunting if they are worried about recoil. The .450 is a deer killer as well.

transfixer

How do you deal with the report? My 458 socom was too loud to not use hearing protection.

I use a linear comp on my .458socom, it directs all the muzzle blast forward, not bad at all, I mean I wouldn't want to shoot a mag without protection, but one or two shots is not bad.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
How do you deal with the report? My 458 socom was too loud to not use hearing protection.
The .450SOCOM from a 16 or 14.5” (Miltary - M4) is loud. It also shoots a much heavier bullet - just like the .45-70. I believe that the .450 Bushmaster is not as loud as either the .45-70 or SOCOM but I have no way to prove that other then my personal experience with all three cartridges. I will say that the brake on the Ruger Scout may have something to do with that as well. At least from the shooters perspective. The brake is big and can be removed, but I don’t mind the extra weight. My hunting lease buddies have told me that my rifle has a distinctive boom when I shoot during the hunt. They know it was me.

My decision to go .450 Bushmaster was weighing heavily with those other two cartridges in mind. I was looking for a Lever Action Rifle for brush I wanted something with a little more oumph than the .30-30 and thought the .45-70 was a bit too much, the .450 Marlin was a bit hard to find ammo for. I did not want an AR to hunt with. I decided the Bolt Action was great in the .450 Bush, probably a little more rugged in that beefed up barrel and M77 action, so I went Scout.

I really enjoy the Thumper.

Latest posts