7.62 X 39 AR For Hunting?

sleepr71

I'm kinda new to the AR-15/platform & am looking into a bigger caliber(than 223/5.56) upper receiver for deer/hogs/zombies:eek:... So far, my limited research shows the 6.8SPC is the up & coming caliber for the AR-15 platform(for heavier game)...My question, and I'm no ballistics expert(even in my mind:bounce::D) is why not use/develop the 7.62X39?? It's one of the most available calibers ANYWHERE in the world,shoots 308 cal. bullets, & brass/bullets should:confused: be much cheaper, right?? I'd like to stay lightweight(~6 1/2-7lbs) w/ this gun, so I think the AR-10 platform is out for me.. Thoughts/Opinions?:cheers:

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have my ar15 set up with the 7.62x39 and it shoots great. I reload 308 bullets for mine,, but u can get the .311s also.
The 6.8 has more speed,,but not enough to pay the difference.
At 100 to 125 yrds. it wont matter to a deer or yote.
I use the LEE die-set,, which has a 308 & 310 spindle.
My 308s in 125gr speer TNT shot good.@ 2350fps....

R

redneckcamo

I had one a few years back ....a DPMS ..
I was gonna deer hunt with it but could not find a magazine that fed well .....tried several different kinds of mags ..

C-products has since came out with a mag for this caliber in the AR15....

mine was very accurate and fun to shoot except it wouldnt get thru a whole mag without jamming ;(

when you google it youll get days worth of reading on the subject ..

Doc_Holliday23

I've killed a few deer with my Mini-30. Farthest one was about 120 yards. Down she went with 123 gr Remington Soft Points.

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
I use the "C-Products" 762x39 magazines...
mine work flawless with a A2 stock and rifle length buffer & spring.

99Tarbox

I've heard there are issues with bolts breaking, that may have been resolved. The ballistics don't compare as well with the 6.8SPCII, but would certainly get the job done.

sleepr71

Thanks guys! Looks like they've made a few improvements to the 6.8SPC(SpecII,1:11 twist,etc) since it first came out & now are getting more velocity out of it! I remembered like 2,400fps w/ 110 gr loads:bounce::cry:initially...

tomski007

Google CZ USA. I have a Mod 527 carbine in 7.62x39.
Great little gun, stops deer in their tracks. Small & lightweight.

Rolan_Kraps

I killed my first deer with a SKS loaded with JSP 7.62x39

sleepr71

Different( but relevant) issue is ammo availaility... 7.62x39 is everywhere & less $$(as compared to 6.8SPC/308).. About 30-30 performance/ballistics & I'm thinking it would be nice to have a compact,accurate rifle that I can hoard up enough ammo to keep the zombies &"blue hats" at bay for a long time, cheaply:flag::flag: