9 month old labrador

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
longish story, I have 2 labs one 8 years old and one 9 months old, the 9mo lab is an escape artist if left alone, we were out of town for the week of the 4th so I boarded him at our local vet (we have used for years and never had any issue) he ended up being there for 10 days due to how the weekends fell and not being able to pick up or drop off on a weekend. Well I picked him up a week ago today Monday (7/6/20) and noticed his bark was completely different that night (prior to boarding he had a deep toned bark) it was kinda hoarse higher pitch that has evolved into zero sound to very high pitch bark today, i spoke to vet on 7/7/20 and they said they had some dogs with upper respiratory infections, my dog is not coughing and in no way showing any signs of any sickness, my fear is that when I picked him up the fellow who brought him out had him on a rope choke style leash and the dog was sitting down and he basically just drug him out of the door (can't enter the vet or leave their collar on due to covid) this pup is a one owner dog and does completely fine on a leash with me, other people not so much, now back to my fear is I have a hunch they "choked" him out everyday to take him out to do his business for 10 days strait.

Am I off base for this line of thought, obviously I know the vet himself didn't choke out and possibly injure something in my dogs throat but wouldn't put it past an employee who is tired of dealing with an borderline aggravating dog that just sits when its on a leash. Short of going to another vet is there any way to determine if his throat is injured or what else could cause a dog to lose his "voice" and is a week to soon of time to recover in the event he did bark 24/7 while he was boarded. He hasn't barked much since being home and doesn't appear to be in any pain when he does attempt to bark. I called the vet today but have not heard back yet. He is not coughing and shows no sign of pain or sickness just a 9 month old puppy completely losing his bark has me puzzled, he has always been a barker so I can't image barked himself hoarse there but also not ruling that out just odd

ucfireman

Talk to the vet about your concerns. I bet there are cameras that will show if he was choked.
I really don't know but maybe his voice changed as he matured a little but I would think it would go lower not higher. But probably just hoarse.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Most vet workers love the animals and I bet his voice will recover .

Definitely not saying your wrong, and one would hope so, but like I mentioned this pup is fine on a leash for me, not anyone else, when they brought him out he was literally sitting down being drug by his neck out, i can only imagine that happened every day to go in and out

Redbow

The Vet we use had a young man who would do just that, drag a Dog where ever he wanted the Dog to go with the leash if the animal would not co-operate. He didn't keep his job for very long. I'm not saying that happened to your Dog but I surely would not doubt it..

Anvil Head

9 months old and to him you "abandoned" him for 10 days (not saying you could help it or it was wrong). Maybe he just was a little traumatized at being left that long. Some dogs are more sensitive to separation anxiety than others.
I'm with you on the "dragging" issue and would have said something up front at the time.

tr21

I’ll bet he barked for 10 days straight and is hoarse , hopefully anyway . Hope he recovers fully in a few days , if not I’d take him to another vet
yep being a pup and probably other dogs in the kennel, they probably barked 24/7 and he's just hoarse, bet it will be back to normal in a week

tr21

Definitely not saying your wrong, and one would hope so, but like I mentioned this pup is fine on a leash for me, not anyone else, when they brought him out he was literally sitting down being drug by his neck out, i can only imagine that happened every day to go in and out
honestly that wont hurt the dog. their neck is very strong and if it hurt him he would get up and walk

LTZ25

When out of town my son's lab stays at a pet resort down near Senioa and he even gets a bath when he comes to pick him up . They have a big place and dogs can come and go into air conditioning .

Attachments

• ABE0BE35-31BA-4C8A-9DB5-3B8183ABE60C.jpeg
    ABE0BE35-31BA-4C8A-9DB5-3B8183ABE60C.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 8

tr21

When out of town my son's lab stays at a pet resort down near Senioa and he even gets a bath when he comes to pick him up . They have a big place and dogs can come and go into air conditioning .
heck my female husky would never come home! i'd have to drag her outa there all four paws dug in!!!!