A good morning for hog hunting - UNDATED - SEE POST #11

Fork Horn

We've recently had some hogs show up on our place. They've not damaged anything yet, but I know it's just a matter of time before they do if we don't take care of them. I decided to sit out a while this morning and watch for the hogs where we've gotten pictures of them several times in the last couple of weeks. The hogs didn't show up this morning, but these coyotes did. Been looking for this pair for a while now (I've been looking for any of them, but very happy to get these two since they've been on the place a good bit). Notice that the one on the left has a short tail; it has made identifying these easy. The short tailed one is on the right side of the trial camera photo. It was a short morning of hog hunting and a good morning for coyote shooting.

296185608_491354499607310_8914674689258232573_n.jpg7-29-2022 067.JPG

Last edited:

Fork Horn

Here's a quick video of them crossing the pasture. Notice the short tailed one is the one that comes across last. The building in the video with the rusted looking roof is where the photo of the dead coyotes was taken and also where I was this morning when the coyotes were shot. The hogs have been coming out above that building, which isn't far from our corn fields. I'll be back there in the morning watching for the hogs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good job ? I know you’ve been after em . It’s hard to believe them bears don’t destroy your corn field

Fork Horn

Good job ? I know you’ve been after em . It’s hard to believe them bears don’t destroy your corn field
We have been lucky. The corn being close to the building likely helps, although the deer and hogs generally ignore the building. I’m over there doing things most evenings so there‘s a good bit of noise near the corn field just before dark. Two years ago was the first time we planted on that side of the creek (we usually just plant below our house). I told my son that there was no way the patch would survive. He still wanted to plant so we tried it and had no problems. I still think it’s only a matter of time but so far so good.

interestingly, there was a bear that went through the cornfield last week. I had gotten home from work and was riding over to check a camera, and there was a bear standing in the creek. When he ran out of the creek he ran through the cornfield while on his way back to the woods. Looks like he had torn down about five stalks along the edge before going to the creek. I ran him back to the woods, and then I put a radio in the cornfield hoping the noise would keep him away. So far I don’t believe he has been back. The corn is starting to harden so it likely wasn’t in the stage of growth that they like the most. Regardless, we have been lucky.

Nice what did ya shoot them with
The coyotes were shot with a .243. That seems to be our favorite caliber here and the one we use, shoot and reload the most. I was using a thermal sight mounted to a Remington Model 700 BDL. Bought that rifle because my dad had one when I was a young boy and I always admired it. The rifle ended up sitting in the safe (I just thought it was to nice to carry out) until we put the thermal sight on it. Since then it has been used a lot.