Mountain hog question & trail cam pics

Thetrooper

I've been bear hunting the mountains now for 3 years with just the hopes of maybe encountering a hog. I posted another thread I finally killed my first mountain hog a couple weeks ago. I've branched out into new areas this year but even my old spots had good hog sign in them that I usually don't see.

So after killing my boar a friend killed a nice sow that has a handful of shoats with her not far away. Now getting lots of pics of big boars running around. I hunt hogs down further south too but the mountains are way closer to home.

My question to you mountain hunters is do you guys hunt the same areas year after year? Or do you just move to find the sign?

Are there areas you hunt that consistently hold more hogs on average than others or are we doomed to chase these nomadic hogs every year and just find them whenever we can?

I feel like I've gotten into a pretty good pocket of hogs and just wonder if it would be worth investing time to hunt this area more deliberately or if in another week it will be a hogless zone haha

Thanks
Pete

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221025-192928.png
    Screenshot_20221025-192928.png
    402 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot_20221025-192909.png
    Screenshot_20221025-192909.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20221025-192920.png
    Screenshot_20221025-192920.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20221025-192940.png
    Screenshot_20221025-192940.png
    433.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20221025-192933.png
    Screenshot_20221025-192933.png
    401 KB · Views: 89

Thetrooper

I hunt the steepest nastiest side hills (because that is where they live in daylight hours) from the top down once the thermals switch.
Yeah that's what I try to do as well do your spots usually hold hogs every year or is it more food related?

jbogg

I have not done a ton of hog hunting, as they usually find me. I would probably approach it like bear hunting. Keep moving until you find fresh feeding sign. I saw more hogs in more places this bow season than ever before. They are exploding in the mountains. If you can find a good stand of dropping red oaks the hogs will likely not be far off.

Thetrooper

I have not done a ton of hog hunting, as they usually find me. I would probably approach it like bear hunting. Keep moving until you find fresh feeding sign. I saw more hogs in more places this bow season than ever before. They are exploding in the mountains. If you can find a good stand of dropping red oaks the hogs will likely not be far off.
I saw some of your hog post jbogg was hoping you'd chime in. You killed some bruisers man Seems like these mountain hogs have a different look to them then the ones down south. Definitely have that Eurasian hog look

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great pictures , that spotted one may be dad to the one you killed or brothers

Professor

It seems I can kill a hog anytime I want in central Georgia. They are always on the move in the mountains, and they are a lot harder to creep on because of swirling winds and thermals. I seem to see reasonably fresh sign in the same areas every year, but that does not mean I see the hogs.

Latest posts