A question for believers

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I think it's reasonable to say "according to the scriptures". If we say someone is Socratic that has meaning even if the stories about Socrates are fiction.

That is fair.

But at what point do we seperate fiction from reality.
Is someone really Captn Kirk like?

I mean I truly believe that a man named Yeshua lived during those times and I believe he was one of many apocalyptic preachers trying to get people to go back to their old ways and traditions while warning of doom in the process.

And then there came the embellishments, so I wonder is scripture Christ-like or Paul-like.
And like Ambush said, do we follow ALL of Christs doings within scripture?
I mean he could have been a handful for the previous 30 years.

atlashunter

That is fair.

I mean I truly believe that a man named Yeshua lived during those times and I believe he was one of many apocalyptic preachers trying to get people to go back to their old ways and traditions while warning of doom in the process.

And then there came the embellishments, so I wonder is scripture Christ-like or Paul-like.

Yeah it's pretty vague.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That is fair.

There you go. The center piece. For the spiritual side of things, no one can prove anything to you. God draws s man that's seeking. And you can't seek if your looking to deny. You're asking for physical evidence to prove something spiritual. As far as scripture, don't we all use analogies, paraphrases, examples, etc? If I told you that proving something to you is as pushing a chain uphill, are you going to read that literally pushing a chain uphill or as can't be done? Only God can reveal himself to you. Anyone with any studying at all will or at least should know that.,Even on the physical, you and are no different. Have either of us proved to anyone that the color red is red? Or have we relied on what we've read, been taught, seen or just accepted as red. Everyone says it is, so it must be.

red neck richie

That's a problem for believers considering the average atheist knows the bible better than the average christian. Most atheists are former christians, not because they haven't researched the bible but because they have. Once again you have the cart before the horse.

I don't know the % but that's not the point. This is the big disconnect are you ready? You know what the bible says, in some cases more than Christians. You point out contradictions due to interpretation? Language? Ability to record? All irrelevant. The big disconnect is you are not spiritually in tune. You have heard of book smarts but no street smarts. You do not know how to explore yourself spiritually. That is where you are missing the point of personal testimony. Where a human spirit surrenders to the holy spirit.

Spineyman

I don't know the % but that's not the point. This is the big disconnect are you ready? You know what the bible says, in some cases more than Christians. You point out contradictions due to interpretation? Language? Ability to record? All irrelevant. The big disconnect is you are not spiritually in tune. You have heard of book smarts but no street smarts. You do not know how to explore yourself spiritually. That is where you are missing the point of personal testimony. Where a human spirit surrenders to the holy spirit.
But he is not able unless the Lord draws him. He can not accept what he can not see. He does not have eyes to see and ears to hear unless the Holy Spirit opens them the the light of the truth.

Romans 8:7-9

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

red neck richie

But he is not able unless the Lord draws him. He can not accept what he can not see. He does not have eyes to see and ears to hear unless the Holy Spirit opens them the the light of the truth.

Romans 8:7-9

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Good word Spiney.

ambush80

You have some God given ability to understand the Bible? Does anybody else? Why do people who claim they were given this ability disagree on what it means so often?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
There you go. The center piece. For the spiritual side of things, no one can prove anything to you. God draws s man that's seeking. And you can't seek if your looking to deny. You're asking for physical evidence to prove something spiritual. As far as scripture, don't we all use analogies, paraphrases, examples, etc? If I told you that proving something to you is as pushing a chain uphill, are you going to read that literally pushing a chain uphill or as can't be done? Only God can reveal himself to you. Anyone with any studying at all will or at least should know that.,Even on the physical, you and are no different. Have either of us proved to anyone that the color red is red? Or have we relied on what we've read, been taught, seen or just accepted as red. Everyone says it is, so it must be.
I'm here. Where is god? Any god worth their reputation would know EXACTLY how to get ahold of me in a manner that would "work". I am open.

Studying scripture, religion, spirituality is like studying Star Wars or Star Trek or any of the comics.
We can all dress up and speak the real unreal languages, we can discuss and debate who would win in a fight between Superman and Mighty Mouse we can transport our minds into the pages...but we really do not know any of those characters. We pretend to based on what we would do, or how we would act or portray them as super "us" or our alter egos. We flock to the ones we like or need. But that is all spiritual too. It's a feeling we get about a relationship we have with something that we can never know.
Does studying them actually bring us closer to any of them?

People, humans use parables, paraphrases, analogies.... They are all open to interpretation and not the best way to get right to the point.

Would a god really use the same means to get his word across? Would he use it so that it is not only disagreed upon but taken to a point where people kill each other over its contents?
Is THAT godlike? Is it impressive at all?

We can call red whatever name we want, but the colors that go together to make red do not change...call them whatever you want, but substitute one or take one away and you have to pick another name for the new color.

red neck richie

You have some God given ability to understand the Bible? Does anybody else? Why do people who claim they were given this ability disagree on what it means so often?

Who cares if they disagree, I disagree that wont stop me from a spiritual relationship with my Lord and savior. Your missing the point.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Tried it, and it didnt work as advertised. I used to make the same excuses as you do for others "not getting it". Then I realized that there was nothing to get and nobody ever had it. The ones that claim to are usually using it as a crutch.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Welder can understand the bible, and spineyman can and so can richie and spot....
Why are they not all 100% in agreement if a god is involved? The spirit should have them all on the same page.

ambush80

So when a believer speaks about God does he/she know anything about what he/she is talking about? How much and which parts?

If I were to try to be Christ like, how should I emulate Christ turning over tables and chasing people with a whip? When should I do that?

So someone did a drive by and dropped this gem in another thread:

So at 2:16 he says:

"If I could fit the infinite God in my 3lb. brain He would not be worth worshiping."

Yet there he is, telling a whole audience with his 3lb. brain what God is like. And the audience cheers and claps in elation at his wit and wisdom. But if he believed what he said about God being too hard to comprehend, then he would greet the audience and say "Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm about to say some things but I don't know what I'm talking about."

So how do you know if you're understanding anything that God says correctly? How do you know that you comprehend what His REAL intentions are. He says he loves us but then kills most of us in a flood. (Sounds like what wife abusers say). He says He wishes all would go to Heaven but then He makes some of us Vessels of Wrath. How do you know that when He says "Turn the other cheek" that He doesn't really want you to be pacifists like the Amish?

So what is it? Is He beyond comprehension or can you comprehend the will of God?

No one has attempted to answer any of these.

ambush80

Why are you believers not Amish? Who's getting it wrong? Who's got the Holy Spirit and who doesn't?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Why are you believers not Amish? Who's getting it wrong? Who's got the Holy Spirit and who doesn't?

Why no Mormons?
Jesus visited Smith, told him the truth, cant be any clearer than right from Jesus....why isnt everyone Mormon?

red neck richie

Welder can understand rhe bible, and spineyman can and so can richie and spot....
Why are they not all 100% in agreement if a god is involved? The spirit should have them all on the same page.

I wont speak for the rest of my brothers but GOD is involved weather you like it or not. That is your reasoning for not believing? Because we have had different experiences with the Holy Spirit? Please.

red neck richie

Ambush I have a question for you? Do you allow your daughter to attend church in case you are wrong? And it would be your fault that she didn't have a relationship with GOD?

atlashunter

The percentage is entirely the point. They are following scriptures that the original author didn't put there. Put another way, they are following a forgery out of their own ignorance! And doing so has cost some of them their lives. You want to talk about their state of mind? Fine. But that is not the point.

Being "spiritually in tune" does nothing to grant a person a better understanding of the bible. In fact if you do an internet search for that phrase you will find that it isn't unique to christians.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I wont speak for the rest of my brothers but GOD is involved weather you like it or not. That is your reasoning for not believing? Because we have had different experiences with the Holy Spirit? Please.

THE reason, no.
One of a thousand, definitely.