A5 Wagyu steak on deck

sinclair1

Some may have saw the thread about how this steak was ordered, but anyhow, tracking shows the insanely priced $125 A5 cut will be here tomorrow making its way from Japan. I have no idea how to cook this thing as you can't just slap it on the grill due to the heavy marble, it will melt away in front of your eyes.

After discount codes and free shipping it topped out at $80 for 7 ounces. Kinda one of those things you due just to tell the story in the old folks home one day. :cheers:

Once she's onboard, I will schedule when to cook this thing. I plan to procure some lobster or scallops to add some more food to the plate as we are splitting this thing at 3.5 ounces each or in my case a bite:bounce:

Sixes

I can't help you with the cook because I've never had the pleasure to cook one, but please do not cook it past medium rare, a cut of meat like that deserves to cooked to the correct temperature.

Lobster and scallops with a shrimp cocktail would be nice. Or go simple and fry up some hand cut French fries.

Still not sure why you can't grill it, I'd heat my Egg with a plate setter to about 600 and cook it for about 2 minutes per side and then enjoy each bite.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Sinclair's cooking a dairy cow steak . .
100 percent massaged Holstein

when I saw your post about that steak, I was thinking how I would have no idea how to go about cooking it. I would be so afraid I would ruin it that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
100 percent massaged Holstein

when I saw your post about that steak, I was thinking how I would have no idea how to go about cooking it. I would be so afraid I would ruin it that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.
I would think if a man can afford that cut of meat he could afford a personal chef to cook it......

sinclair1

I can't help you with the cook because I've never had the pleasure to cook one, but please do not cook it past medium rare, a cut of meat like that deserves to cooked to the correct temperature.

Lobster and scallops with a shrimp cocktail would be nice. Or go simple and fry up some hand cut French fries.

Still not sure why you can't grill it, I'd heat my Egg with a plate setter to about 600 and cook it for about 2 minutes per side and then enjoy each bite.
I imagine a place setter would work. They sent a link how to prepare this thing, but I haven't read it yet. Don't worry I will have to bargain for medium rare. My wife is a knock the horns off type of gal. :bounce:

ryanh487

I cook all my steaks in a cast iron. Fresh cracked black pepper, heavy kosher salt rub, sear in a dry, pre heated cast iron until the crust is formed and the steak releases on it's own, flip until the other side does the same. Reduce to low. Add 4-5 tbs of butter, a clove of garlic, thyme and rosemary. Spoon butter over the steak frequently, flip every minute until medium rare. Rest 10 minutes before cutting. That method may need to be altered a bit to accommodate the marbling in a nice wagyu but it turns out an amazing ribeye.

Shug

Thought those were cooked on a hot rock

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thought those were cooked on a hot rock
I have had a steak cooked like that. Man, it were fit to eat.

I was wondering if you could cook one of these that way

K80

From what I've seen it's served mostly near raw.

Longhorn 16

Not trying to burst your bubble but Wagyu ribeye is available in Roswell for about $45 a pound.

PSA and I am sure yours will be great.

Reactions: Dub

sinclair1

Not trying to burst your bubble but Wagyu ribeye is available in Roswell for about $45 a pound.

A5 From Japan is what I was after. I have American Wagyu ribeyes in the freezer now. Only the top 1% gets the grade. Like I said, it's more of a old folks home story as I would rather have a good hotdog.

Last edited:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I cook all my steaks in a cast iron. Fresh cracked black pepper, heavy kosher salt rub, sear in a dry, pre heated cast iron until the crust is formed and the steak releases on it's own, flip until the other side does the same. Reduce to low. Add 4-5 tbs of butter, a clove of garlic, thyme and rosemary. Spoon butter over the steak frequently, flip every minute until medium rare. Rest 10 minutes before cutting. That method may need to be altered a bit to accommodate the marbling in a nice wagyu but it turns out an amazing ribeye.

Don't think you can go wrong with this.^^

My only other thought would be to vac seal it, then sous vide it to about 125 degrees for a couple hours, then reverse sear it in a super hot cast iron, with the butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme. That way, you only have it in the high heat for a couple minutes.

However you end up doing it, post some pics.

mikep

Google how they do it in Japan. They have probably mastered how to properly cook that piece of steak.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I would think if a man can afford that cut of meat he could afford a personal chef to cook it......
That's what my Bosses do when they go duck hunting. They bring it home and let the County Club cook it for em.

It aint the same as a Japan Wagyu.