Academy game winner Tripod stand question

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Here’s a ?? For those with academy game winner tripod stands (single or double version)
1) how comfortable is the seat?
2) would you be able to not mount the factory seat and bring in a folding camp chair to use instead?

Thanks this is what I’m looking at. I was going to build a wood platform to put a ground blind on and sit in a chair but I could have pretty much bought one if these by the time I buy the wood

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-10-ft-tripod-hunting-stand#repChildCatid=4753519

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I don’t own one, but that seat does look like it would be very unkind to your buttocks. :bounce: Maybe get yourself a nice, thick cushion to place in it. An actual chair with arm rests would be better, of course.

nmurph

I think that's a Millenium seat (or a close knockoff). I looked at those the other day and I think they would be comfortable enough.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have one of the game winner ladder stands with a very similar seat and it’s actually pretty comfortable

shdw633

We have them and they are comfortable to sit in. I have also done what you were thinking of doing but did it with their quad pod stand, it worked out real good. Put together the base but did not install the rail or seat and then used u-bolts to connect the floor of the box stand to the metal flooring on the base and stood it up. Cheapest base I could buy for the box stand as I got the quad pods for around $183 after the season was over.

BTW, you don't have to install the seat on the tripod, it just fastens to the floor. So if you want to leave that off for the ability to put in an office chair you can, you would just have to put some sort of different flooring in it so that your chair doesn't make a lot of sound moving on that grated floor. Here are the instructions on how that stand goes together: http://www.bestforhunt.com.ua/images/stories/Game_Winner_10ft_Tripod_Manual.pdf

Kev

I have two of the single versions. They aren’t very big but I enjoy them, and they are comfortable to me. My dad has a broke back and he can sit in one of these stands for at least 3-4 hours.

ssramage

I put up a quad pod for me and the kids this year. I haven’t hunted out of it yet but the only downside I see to the double seat is that they’re not independent of each other.

BornToHuntAndFish

Game Winner 10 ft Tripod Hunting Stand

Been looking at that one over the years. Looks like the price keeps getting better. Wonder if that 10-ft. tripod is the measured height to the platform, seat, or rail??? Ladder stand specs on height usually measurement is to the rail.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I may get a couple of those for my son & me. Would work good in a young pine plantation.

nmurph

Been looking at that one over the years. Looks like the price keeps getting better. Wonder if that 10-ft. tripod is the measured height to the platform, seat, or rail??? Ladder stand specs on height usually measurement is to the rail.

Manufacturers measure to the rail. The way I measure a deer stand is to where my feet are.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
10 foot to the platform and the seat is comfortable but need to keep the swivel lubed. I always use the millennial seat pad for cold hunts.

Rosco

Here’s a ?? For those with academy game winner tripod stands (single or double version)
1) how comfortable is the seat?
2) would you be able to not mount the factory seat and bring in a folding camp chair to use instead?

Thanks this is what I’m looking at. I was going to build a wood platform to put a ground blind on and sit in a chair but I could have pretty much bought one if these by the time I buy the wood

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-10-ft-tripod-hunting-stand#repChildCatid=4753519
The chair is very comfortable, but need to put some grease in the mounting assembled to keep it quiet.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Thanks y’all. My lower back is jacked up and it’s really random what seats I can and cannot stand to sit on. Office chairs are just as bad as sitting in a wood plank. I have a couple of set ups that I can stand for a couple hours if I can sit just right and i add padding etc The seat that comes with it looks ok but I never know till I actually sit on it.

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Thanks y’all. My lower back is jacked up and it’s really random what seats I can and cannot stand to sit on. Office chairs are just as bad as sitting in a wood plank. I have a couple of set ups that I can stand for a couple hours if I can sit just right and i add padding etc The deer that comes with it looks ok but I never know till I actually sit on it.

I will venture that you will enjoy sitting on this seat

BornToHuntAndFish

Manufacturers measure to the rail. The way I measure a deer stand is to where my feet are.

Yep, it's disgusting how manufacturers try to get away with deceiving info on deer stand height. Most hunters like us measure to our feet on deer stands which is out of sync with sales weasels.

In shdw633's good instruction manual on Page 7 with the Parts List show both the upper & lower ladder sections have 4 steps for a total of 8-steps, but on Page 12 the assembled stand close-up picture shows 4-steps on the upper ladder sections & only 3-steps on the lower ladder section which we can zoom in on the color photos to see. The tripod photos show only 7-steps total instead of 8-steps totals which gave me hope for 10-ft. to the platform since spacing between steps is usually around 15-inches.

Thanks to Pig Predator reporting 10-ft. to the platform.

The flip up front (shooting) rail makes it easier & safer climbing onto the small 42-inch wide platform & into the tripod stand as seen also in the instruction manual.

Not installing the swivel 360-degree seat & using your own fold-up seat can also make it easier climbing into the small platform tripod & lowering the flip up front rail to the down position.

For my father years ago, I put up some $130 on sale large 60-inch wide by 42-inch deep platform ladder stands with flip up front (shooting) rails that made them safer that spoiled us.

Whitetailer

I just bought three. The 10' height is to the platform. I was thinking about taking the seat out and using a more comfortable chair if necessary. Haven't sat in it yet. Assembling the first one it seems pretty sturdy. The cost was pretty nice also. I got the camo accessory that goes with it.

acf

Throwback, we have two of the singles and I'm a big ol' man (6'3" - 275) and I hunt one often. Me long legs (knees) rub the factory skirt but not bad. The pop up top with the kit is a great way to spend a rainy day.

nmurph

Specs say the steps are 13 inches wide and 14 inches between steps. There are 7 steps which puts the platform at 8ft plus whatever amount of height is below the bottom step. That puts the floor at around 8.5ft.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Had I known how cheap these were, I would've bought 3 of these instead of the 3 viper steel climbers I just bought....maybe next year