Acupuncture

gunnurse

Has anyone ever tried acupuncture for back pain? If so, did it help?

zedex

Gator Bait
I tried it several years ago. I didnt get any relief.
The guy I saw is a traditional Chinese acupuncturist. The warm towels felt great but he put extremely hot stones on my back and I tensed up. Those stones burned.
Anyway, he started sticking the needles in all over. When he jabbed that first one into th bottom of my foot, the session ended in colorful language. I hobbled out of there blustered and bloodied. Never looked back.

One of the Chinese women I'm seeing goes to him. I guess he hasn't been much help either and finding a doctor who is accepting patients is impossible around here so she left Monday back to Beijing to see a doctor there.

BriarPatch99

To be honest ... what my wife had was not acupuncture but "Needle Therapy" at a certified Physical Therapist trained in Needling ... they also connect the TENS unit and give small shock to move muscles ...

I also had it done on my Ischium .... it provided longer relief than did medications .... also with TENS....

specialk

My wife ia doing accup.....she also has started the CBD stuff...the CBD stuff has helped tremedously....RA and Fibro have taken over her body in the last 20 years...

gunnurse

Had my first session. No big deal. No physical response, back still hurts. I’ll keep at it until I decide good or bad. It’s neutral right now.

Yeah, I've given acupuncture a shot for my chronic back pain. Wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I was pretty desperate for relief. It worked and I noticed an improvement in my mobility.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've done it a few times. In conjunction with ice, heat and a tens unit, got me through some back pain.

Been there, done that. My back was such a mess – talking constant aches, sharp pains whenever I twisted wrong, or even just from sitting too long at my desk. I was pretty much willing to try anything that didn't involve chugging painkillers like they were going out of style.

BeerThirty

My friend is a physical therapist who actually specializes in dry needling. I don't know a ton about other applications, but he recently explained how it works, relative to tight and tense muscles. Basically, a muscle can become so knotted up that is constricting adequate nutrition from entering into it. Bloodflow, hydration, and vital nutrients like potassium and other vitamins. The needling, which most patients don't even feel (according to him), triggers your body's involuntary nerve response causing it quickly to twitch open, or release, thus allowing those nutrients back into the muscle. The combination of the muscle quickly releasing and the nutrients entering, compounded over several treatments with additional PT can get it back to normal.

I don't know how it relates to pain treatment unless you pain is coming from tight muscles.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Bee venom acupuncture have read works well, not sure how hard to find somebody who does it but seems to be more of a Asian thing.

MudDucker

Staff member
To be honest ... what my wife had was not acupuncture but "Needle Therapy" at a certified Physical Therapist trained in Needling ... they also connect the TENS unit and give small shock to move muscles ...

I also had it done on my Ischium .... it provided longer relief than did medications .... also with TENS....

‘Dry needling and ten’s is da bomb!