After 32 years of deer hunting....

J-Rod

Well we're gonna take this one and say he's a tough one that decided he's got a few more does to chase before he's done. I don't know you personally but I'm sure you've got a lot more things going good for you that will outweigh this little bit of bad. Your avatar pic shows this. We all love bowhunting but at the end of the day we got a lot of blessings that make the Bowhunting Blues seem like nothing.

oldfella1962

Well guys, its not the turn out I wanted. We didn't find him, which hopefully means he is still alive. I can say this though, 75% of America needs to have the same work ethic as Willie. He worked his tail off for about 3 hours! Thanks Watermedic and Willie, I really do appreciate you guys!! I really appreciate the comments and prayers also. Hopefully Gap will make it, and be a beast again next year...

Let's see.....barbed wire, another buck's antlers, bullets, disease, rattle snakes, cars.....there's a lot worse things a deer can encounter in their life, so I'm guessing you'll see that deer again.

BOWHUNTER!

I know all too well what you're going through. Trust me. Time will ease the sickness I promise. Times like these make the successes much sweeter.

Johnny Reb

I hate it for you as well. Unfortunately I experienced the same thing this year, the last day of the season. The buck wouldn't stop and I had a limited window to shoot in. I rushed the shot and made a bad shot too far back. It has been 6 days since and I am still very torn up about it. I had a dog come out to search for him and also put in countless hours looking myself. I can only hope mine made it as well, but I feel it is unlikely as I got a pass-thru shot and my Rage opened completely. I put several trail cams out to see if I can get any pictures of him on the property.

Hopefully time will ease the sickness...

Doubletrouble

Well we're gonna take this one and say he's a tough one that decided he's got a few more does to chase before he's done. I don't know you personally but I'm sure you've got a lot more things going good for you that will outweigh this little bit of bad. Your avatar pic shows this. We all love bowhunting but at the end of the day we got a lot of blessings that make the Bowhunting Blues seem like nothing.

Very good thing to say!!!!

Wack&Stackn08

I'm not sure that everyone understands why this is so upsetting. Its not that I didn't kill a big deer to be able to show off and brag about.

The disappoint comes from the countless hours of practicing, preparing, and COUTLESS hours in the stand that was put into it hoping for the opportunity that finally presented itself Monday afternoon. I got that opportunity and I made a stupid mistake of rushing myself. I panicked!! I put all of this work in only to fail. And now, there is a wounded deer that has to suffer from it. I feel as hunters, we owe it to the animals that we love to chase, the respect to do our part in making a quick, humane kill.

I have replayed this shot a million times over in my head! I KNEW better than to do what I did. The mistake I made was not doing what I have practiced for years. All I had to do was calm myself down, settle the pin, and squeeze it off!! Something I have done thousands of times.

I know that this is not the end of the world, and I know that I have A LOT of good in my life, but this is still a huge downer for me. It will get better and I know it. I guess I now know how Daniel Carlson feels!! Sorry for the vent!!

huntaholic

Hang in there !

Hopefully he is still on his feet. ! I hit one in the shoulder years ago I remember it like it was yesterday. It happens. Hope you see him nex season.

BOWHUNTER!

I'm not sure that everyone understands why this is so upsetting. Its not that I didn't kill a big deer to be able to show off and brag about.

The disappoint comes from the countless hours of practicing, preparing, and COUTLESS hours in the stand that was put into it hoping for the opportunity that finally presented itself Monday afternoon. I got that opportunity and I made a stupid mistake of rushing myself. I panicked!! I put all of this work in only to fail. And now, there is a wounded deer that has to suffer from it. I feel as hunters, we owe it to the animals that we love to chase, the respect to do our part in making a quick, humane kill.

I have replayed this shot a million times over in my head! I KNEW better than to do what I did. The mistake I made was not doing what I have practiced for years. All I had to do was calm myself down, settle the pin, and squeeze it off!! Something I have done thousands of times.

I know that this is not the end of the world, and I know that I have A LOT of good in my life, but this is still a huge downer for me. It will get better and I know it. I guess I now know how Daniel Carlson feels!! Sorry for the vent!!

There are plenty of serious, dedicated bowhunters on this forum that have been in your shoes..trust me when I say that we know Exactly the emotions you're going through right now. Things happen and hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20 but you will get over the feeling of failure. It takes time.

Alan in GA

The last second......

I have deer hunted for 48 years (I'm 64). I too have suffered for the mistakes I have made in the last second of bow hunting. It is that extremely high tension 'second' - the one second before the shot that is prepared for with hours, days,...YEARS of preparation, and yet that one second can go so wrong.
I think my 'last seconds' are characterized by my brain going from 'hands on flying',.., to 'autopilot'. By that I mean that matter how long I prepare for 'the shot' - say the deer are milling around and I even have time to 'think it through', to calm down and get ready for the shot I know is coming,.... That dreaded LAST SECOND before the shot comes and it seems as though I 'toss the reins into the air!' I FAIL to PICK A SPOT (on the deer), and my shot is a combination of INSTINCTIVE shooting, mixed in with preplanned movement of what to do with my bow hand and release hand, and body form.
Afterwords I relive that SECOND for hours and days trying to figure out 'what happened'.
I never knew so much could happen in ONE SECOND!
But anyway, I've been there, done that, too.
I hit a leg bone of a nice venison doe a few weeks ago. I'm thankful the broadhead did not mortally wound her, in fact it only went in maybe an inch at most in the leg so I know she is fine-it fell back out after she ran about 40 yards.. HOWEVER, My first thought at the poor shot was "I'm too old to screw up a shot like this!" If the arrow had hit back about ONE INCH it would have been a 'perfect shot'.
Prepare for and beware of ... That last second- it's coming!

Last edited: