AK or AR??

specialk

specialk

stoner died in 97....wonder when that vid was made.....

specialk

I've never owned an AK.

I probably should rent one at the range just to get familiar with it.

i rented some full auto a few yrs back in vegas....some 556, 9mm, and an ak...that ak was all i could do to keep it from leaving my grip...and the muzzle flash lit up the range...

Reactions: Dub

Darien1

I like the idea of the AK and I've owned a few be always got rid of them because for what ever reason when I get a cheek weld on the stock they beat me in the face like no other rifle does.

Reactions: NWS

Bobby Bigtime

I agree with railroader if I have to head to the woods with only 1 it will be the AK ! I own 3 AK'S and 3 AR's and if things go south I believe the AK is more reliable ....
I own stamped and milled ak's and an AR. The ak will rarely to never malfunction. The AR generally has better accuracy. I agree with both of you gentlemen.

doomtrpr_z71

I've had a 47 and a 74 and sold both and miss neither, I'll take a quality AR over the AK anyday. If you want a long stroke piston like the AK, the PSA JAKL is the ticket.

bighonkinjeep

As far as Norincos go: Excellent materials especially the steel, 30 caliber, lots of quality modern aftermarket upgrades available, ( Vltor, Magpul, Ergo, Ultimak, Tapco, Kvar). Unbelievable reliability even when dirty, decent accuracy (It aint supposed to be a benchrest gun). compact and sturdy.
If I gotta grab one in a bigger than a coyote or uncomfortable situation it'll be an upgraded 922R compliant Norinco MAK90 with a forward mounted Aimpoint.

Robust Redhorse

Accuracy - AR

Reliability - AK

The AR is, definitely, the "better" rifle - if you can clean it and lubricate it, the way it is supposed to be maintained.

If you need to have an open-sighted rifle that will go "bang" every time you pull the trigger, with little or no maintenance, get an AK or a SKS.

I've had very good AK's and cheap AK's and did not find any difference in accuracy or reliability, even with the cheapest ammo I could find.

Every AR that I have ever owned was more accurate, but you have to maintain them all to a decent level.

TEOTWAWKI - AK

If you have access to cleaning supplies and a an "oops kit" - definitely, an AR

This is America, and even Georgia to boot - get BOTH while you can!

Stevie Ray

I have ARs as well as a lone WASR 10-63 (Iraqi contractor bring back) and love shooting all of them, the dust and grit from the desert on the 10-63 gives it a little character too!

frankwright

I have had one AK, a Romanian SAR. I sold it to buy something else, kind of wish I would have kept it.
I have a few friends that shoot AK's at the carbine matches and it is amazing to watch how fast they can shoot and change mags.
I have had a good many AR's, still have 3, and they are great guns too.

trial&error

Familiarity steers me toward AR. AK and SKS disassembly for cleaning is much slower for me and I always need a tool of some sort to do it. Yeah I know you don't always have to clean them as much as I probably do.