Alligator creek WMA

Hey guys, new to the forum. Did anyone hunt the new wma in lumbercity last year alligator creek wma? If so what do y'all think about it?

chrislibby88

I’ve been looking into it too. I just realized it was only an hour from me while looking into smaller WMAs last night.

Harvest numbers are very low, which either means the game populations are low, or that few people hunt it.

About 80% of the property looks to be recent clear cuts with only a very few harwood bottoms.

fountain

If you like to hunt a scrappy cut over on a sand ridge, that's your place. It's not very good land for anything other than a gopher tortoise and indigo snake. That's what that land was originally for.

chrislibby88

If you like to hunt a scrappy cut over on a sand ridge, that's your place. It's not very good land for anything other than a gopher tortoise and indigo snake. That's what that land was originally for.
So I guess deer populations are low? Any insight on the turkeys?

fountain

I've heard of a few big deer being killed, but I would have to have seen them on location...

Turkeys, again I've been told of a fee being killed, nothing crazy. I'm sure they may be some there, but as that clear cut continues to grow up, that will only hurt the use that turkeys give that place. They do a good bit of burns on the place and that will help. Most of it is planted back in longleaf so they will continue to do burns

chrislibby88

I've heard of a few big deer being killed, but I would have to have seen them on location...

Turkeys, again I've been told of a fee being killed, nothing crazy. I'm sure they may be some there, but as that clear cut continues to grow up, that will only hurt the use that turkeys give that place. They do a good bit of burns on the place and that will help. Most of it is planted back in longleaf so they will continue to do burns
I checked the harvest data from last year and only a handful of deer were reported. There was no turkey data.

Should be good in 10-15 years once the pine meadows are restored, especially if they keep burning it.

It’s only an hour drive from home, and it looks like the property is open for hunting pretty much all gun season instead of small managed hunts, so I will probably make a trip down to check it out.

barongan

Loving this thread! sub'd
o.png