Cooper Creek Campground.

Going up with the whole family to Cooper Creek Campground. Got a site right on the creek. Understand fishing might not be great this time of year as the stocking stopped a few weeks ago but just looking to get out into nature for a couple of days.

One thing I am confused about is I've read that Cooper Creek Campground is BY the Cooper Creek WMA, but the WMA map shows that the campground is IN the WMA. Which one is it? Hopefully there are lots of squirrels i the WMA or the USFS section that one can hunt.

westcobbdog

Going up with the whole family to Cooper Creek Campground. Got a site right on the creek. Understand fishing might not be great this time of year as the stocking stopped a few weeks ago but just looking to get out into nature for a couple of days.

One thing I am confused about is I've read that Cooper Creek Campground is BY the Cooper Creek WMA, but the WMA map shows that the campground is IN the WMA. Which one is it? Hopefully there are lots of squirrels i the WMA or the USFS section that one can hunt.
In the WMA. Also there's a country store nearby on the Hwy for supplies.
Deep Hole campground is nearby, too, it's on the Toccoa river. Also a short excursion the family may enjoy is visit the swinging bridge.

tr21

In the WMA. Also there's a country store nearby on the Hwy for supplies.
Deep Hole campground is nearby, too, it's on the Toccoa river. Also a short excursion the family may enjoy is visit the swinging bridge.
for the swinging bridge you can either hike from HWY 60 or take the forestry road back and it's a short walk down to the bridge. that road goes behind my house. another nice hike is 3 forks falls but it's usually very crowded on weekends.

Thanks everyone. I'm a little familiar with the area. Camped at Frank Gross last year, and went up there on another occasion to fish on rock creek. Can't wait to get me some of that Wildcat bbq.

westcobbdog

for the swinging bridge you can either hike from HWY 60 or take the forestry road back and it's a short walk down to the bridge. that road goes behind my house. another nice hike is 3 forks falls but it's usually very crowded on weekends.
TR u live way back in the remote woods, congrats! The dirt road to the bridge is a long and winding one.

Last edited:

transfixer

There are actually two campgrounds on the Mulkey gap side of Coopers Creek, one on the main gravel rd that runs through, and then another one across a little bridge that runs off of Mulkey gap rd. the Camp host is usually at that one, that one has a few sites that back up to the creek, the one out on the main rd, the creek is across the rd from the campsites

Gaswamp

looks like a great area to adventure

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Camped there man times. You'll enjoy it. Very nice campground.

tr21

here's a little campground y'all might want to check out. has bath house and is clean. it has a new owner and he's really doing a good job of keeping it up. he has tent sites and trailer sites.

To the OP, give us an update on your trip.
Had a great trip. Cooper Creek has got to be one of the best campgrounds for getting away from it all. I like camping along Rock Creek but too much traffic driving by. Cooper Creek you don't really have as many people driving through. The outhouse was kept very clean and the campground is pretty clean as well.

Family had a great time, didn't catch any fish, we left on Tuesday and of course the stocking report came out Friday and I saw they stocked Cooper Creek that Wednesday. Saw lots of squirrels near the campground but didn't see any while actually squirrel hunting even though I found fresh cutting and sat around for about an hour (8 year old didn't have any more patience...)

My kids entertained themselves throwing huge rocks around in the creek, and getting marlin spinner stuck and then walking out and freeing them. I will be back there for sure during the "off season".