Will They Survive?

Big7

The Oracle
Very disappointed.
This old lake had been around at least before the 60's. Me and a couple of buddies rode bicycles and brim fished it many times in the younger days.

Later on, even up until a couple of months ago it was a most productive place to set a bait trap. Where the creek runs into the pond on the opposite end from what you are seeing, it wasn't nothing to fill 3 or 4 traps slap full of Crawdads to eat or use for bait. They usually got ate if there was a good mess.

To the left of the creek channel is the bank with one of the only 2 places you could get to by foot and usually where minnow traps went and where you could catch a few brim.

This is also the place I ran the thread about stocking for a "honey hole" due to ample forage but that ain't the purpose of this thread.

So, here goes. This lake was also the place where I could go any time of year and catch as many big Common Snappers as I wanted and plenty to give away. Always let the Alligator Snappers go (obviously) and also the soft shell even though they are legal.

It appears ANOTHER new subdivision is going to be built in a town that is already overcrowded, but that's another story.

So the question is, all the turtles had to go somewhere. Satellite map doesn't show any pools or lakes.

Top. About 2 1/2- 3 acre pond drained. Not sure what they are doing with the channel.

Center. Spillway that runs into the creek.

Bottom. Creek where the pond discharges into and has at 60 years probably more.

WILL THE TURTLES LIVE?
20230831_150622_HDR.jpg20230831_150549_HDR.jpg20230831_151032_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

I would yes.

They are dinosaur like.

fullstrut

Got to love land development. Hopefully not the case. Sounds like years of memories for you. Keep us updated of what the reason was

MOTS

I have a bunch of turtles show up at my daily fish feeding, around 30 or so, I enjoy watching them as much as the fish.

chriswkbrd

Sad to see another pond (possibly) drained for yet another subdivision. They keep building but I don't see the roads getting any wider. And everyone wonders why there is so much road rage!

Redbow

The people who are responsible for doing this don't care if the turtles survive or not. They are only looking to fatten their bank accounts. The same thing is going down every day here where we live on the NC coast.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The snappers can live in that creek. See them in creeks that size around here all the time.

oldfella1962

Sad to see another pond (possibly) drained for yet another subdivision. They keep building but I don't see the roads getting any wider. And everyone wonders why there is so much road rage!
:( Welcome to my world! Subdivisions popping up like weeds as far as the eye can see. They occasionally widen roads, but not at a pace that will ever catch up. Police & ambulance sirens all day & night from the constant accidents. Thankfully they rarely (if ever) drain a pond to build a subdivision where I live, so I guess that is something positive.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
:( Welcome to my world! Subdivisions popping up like weeds as far as the eye can see. They occasionally widen roads, but not at a pace that will ever catch up. Police & ambulance sirens all day & night from the constant accidents. Thankfully they rarely (if ever) drain a pond to build a subdivision where I live, so I guess that is something positive.

I thank my lucky stars everyday that I live in old plantation and farm country. That doesn`t mean things will change, but not likely in the rest of my lifetime.