alligator snapping turtle

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I have seen my fair share of them jokers here in these south Georgia river swamps. I've seen some as big, if not bigger, than the one in that article. And they are nasty! Of all the things in these swamps that can hurt or kill you (alligators and venomous snakes), I worried more about stepping next to the mouth of a snapping turtle and having it chomp down on my foot. When I was a kid, I slowly rode past one on my ATV on my way to go hunting, and that joker snapped at my tires. I walked back to him with a hardened, dead limb, and stuck it near his mouth, and before I knew it, he snapped down on it and would not let go. He crushed that hard limb, and I could feel the awesome power in it's jaws, as I held onto the end of that limb. Pretty scary, actually. This one wasn't as big as the one in the article, but that sucker had one powerful bite. Dad always told me, if one bites you, he'll keep what ever he bites! And I dang sure believe it, too. That's why I always wear a protective cup when walking through waist deep swamp water. :bounce:Just kidding!

I have seen some very large ones over the years, and I try my best to stay away from them when I see them. There's no telling how many I've stepped near and didn't know it, while walking these swamps. Big or small, them jokers give me the creeps!

NOYDB

BANNED
With most of the people in cities, The critters that used to be hunted and eliminated will start to survive and prosper. Expect records to be matched and broken before the end of the century.

Add the proliferation of ijits wanting to get a selfie with the critters and the reports will surface dailey.

Rick Alexander

They don't have to be overly large to get your attention. My brother pulled about a 15 lb one into our little jon boat at my granddad's pond one day after catching it on a top water popper. BIG MISTAKE. Them things hiss something awful and just do NOT have a pleasant personality. We bout had to give him that boat. We finally let him bite down on a paddle and lift him back into the pond. Would have made a funny video but believe me neither one of us were smiling at the time.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
A buddy and I put one in the back of an empty pickup bed one time to show it around some.
It almost jumped out at us so we had to let it loose...
It dang sure wasn't going to stay in there for a truck ride!

REDMOND1858

Back in high school, a guy found one on the baseball field. Bout a 40-50 pounder. Picked it up and acted like he was gone give it a kiss. Obviously he was unaware of how long them things can stretch out. Took out a very large chunk of his upper lip and nose. Since then, iv kept my distance.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Back in high school, a guy found one on the baseball field. Bout a 40-50 pounder. Picked it up and acted like he was gone give it a kiss. Obviously he was unaware of how long them things can stretch out. Took out a very large chunk of his upper lip and nose. Since then, iv kept my distance.
Yeah, even the ones that will fit in the palm of your hand will bite the fire out of you. They're nothing you want to hold and cuddle, that's for sure. :LOL: