Almost deer #1

splatek

UAEC
Had the day off from teaching and was playing daddy daycare with my 2 year old boy, Presley. Decided I would take him for his first trip to the woods. He’s been very interested in my bows and every time he walks by the cooler in the garage he says “bear, meat” after watching me process the bear I killed on opening weekend. As instructed by a few other dad-hunters, I packed all the snacks and low expectations.

I figured I would use the opportunity to hang a new cam on a slightly rolling (private) piece I hunt in the foothills of the mountains. The walk in is about twenty minutes. Two year olds can be loud. He would do the whisper finger, “shhhhhh” then at the top of his lungs yell “Dadda!?” Hilarious. Neither of us had camo; we looked like we were going to Kroger! I carried him most of the way and especially through the thick berry patch that would’ve been over his head and holds the occasional venomous snake. But occasionally he’d want to get down and I’d let him explore on his own (very close to my side).

When we arrived at our destination I realized in my worry about having all our snacks and drinks, I forgot batteries for the cam. Oh well. I showed him a few acorns and hickory nuts. Then suddenly a lone doe snuck up on us. He almost instinctually knew he had to be quiet and fixated his eyes on her body. We watched her for about 3-5 minutes as she weaved in and out of view before she spooked off. She was behind a very thick tangle of briar and blow down. We started walking some more looking for bear sign and acorns. Didn’t find much so turned back and the doe had returned. He was mesmerized. He softly said to me “Dadda shoot?” I had my longbow and I was thinking the same thing. I put Presley in his backpack carrier and carefully nocked an arrow. We crept a little closer, a little closer. At about 20-22 yards she turned quartering away, looking away and there was a clearing in the tangle. About the same time, Presley began singing Mickey Mouse clubhouse theme song, which was making me chuckle, I drew back and loosed an arrow that just missed to the left. Turns out I need to practice shooting with a singing, wiggling two year old on my back. Who’d of thought!?

I’m not upset at all about the miss. The big guy gave us the opportunity to see a deer on his first outing, at close range, and that’s way more than I anticipated. Missing is part of bowhunting, I certainly know that, and am glad it was a clean miss and not an injured animal. Missing is also a lesson I’m glad he learned.

After that I asked him “should we sit or go back to the truck.” He was out of macaroni and cheese so he exclaimed “Truck, Dadda.” So we started making our way back to the truck. Kept the outing short and sweet and loaded with positivity. No pressure. I was ready to turn around the minute we parked if need be. He was enthralled to be on a new adventure. When momma came home from work later and asked Presley, “did you have a fun day with daddy?” He replied, “big deer! ….Bear”. We didn’t see a bear but he just likes saying bear. lol

That experience might be the highlight of my season and I missed the deer. But, that’s not what the day was about. I’m hoping, praying that this experience has begun to ingrain the love of hunting, outdoors, and conservation that I have come to develop after starting to hunt 3-4 years ago. And I sure hope this is the first of many adventures for he and I.

Hard to get pictures when your managing a kid in the woods, but here he is walking down a trail. He stole his little sisters pink pacifier and minny mouse doll (which is what he’s carrying) adjudicating they were “mine.” Buzz lightyear light up tennis shoes are going to be the next hunting craze, I’m sure of it :ROFLMAO:
EA343FC8-3715-4766-8CD7-52777FF65768.jpeg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Best post I’ve seen in a very long time. Great trip

splatek

UAEC
Thanks for all the nice comments and support. I think Thursdays are going to be our woods day; see if we can’t get the little one’s hands on a deer or bear. Regardless our time in the woods is all the reward I need. I don’t have much in the way of natural woodsmanship, but I’ve been trying to teach, or simply talk out loud, about the things I’ve been learning from good folks on here and that I’ve met.

Hopefully there will be a report of us taking one before the season.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good stuff ! Brings back some great memories , thanks for taking us along !

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Hat Tip ? to a fine outing. There is nothing better than watching a wide eyed little guy as he sees things for the first time...

And when they are small like that, you get many, many, "firsts".

Take advantage of every one you can, because he'll be wanting your truck keys before you know it!! ?

splatek

UAEC
Well take 2 was also a great success, in my book.

Little fellar has been talking about deer (he pronounces it as if he said the word there, but with a D, dhere) all week. When we arrived at our spot and I began to string my bow, he started to say "Dada miss, dada miss" obviously his mother's humor!

Anyhow, we packed up our snacks, which included the all necessary life force Mac-Mac (otherwise known as Macaroni and Cheese), PB&Js and a few sweets and crackers and started walking. Walking in we both heard something and sure enough it was a deer off in the laurel; she spotted us and didn't like the look of us. She was gone. We continued to work up to the spot we were going to hunt; it's flatter and has some openings, etc. We bumped a deer right off some white oaks! We sat and snacked and chatted for about 20 minutes. Then it was clear he wanted to move. So we walked, not far, maybe 75 yards at absolute most. Up to a knob top to look down below, we saw nothing down there. Every step he is looking and picking up "Aaaaa-Coorns"

After about an hour, maybe 75 minutes in the woods his body language was saying he was done so we made a beeline to the truck. WE both dropped trough and peed next to a big old conifer and he hung out in the back of the truck while I got our stuff together for the trip home. A nice cool breeze kicked up and he kept saying "dhere, dada, dhere" I knew he wanted to keep walking; or being carried around the woods, but I also know that there is a critical window for catching nap time so I convinced him to climb into the car seat and we were off toward home.

Next week I think we will try a trout stream for a change of pace. That is, unless he keeps asking for dhere and bhere, all weekend. At least he can't tell momma dada missed!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That was a great read! Enjoy the ride my friend, they grow up way to fast! :cheers: