Almost-famous Hartwell dove shoot Sep 13 - you're invited

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Hey everybody,

It's not only that time of year again, it's that place again - Steve Shaw's spread in Hartwell. 70+ acres planted in sunflowers this time, expected harvest date is late august. They're ripening nicely, and if all goes well, conditions will be good for another dove shoot benefiting the Outdoor Dream Foundation on Sat. Sep 13. Whether through luck or timing, this has been a great shoot for three years in a row.

Attendees can expect the same excellent menu as last year, with the four-meat barbecue, outstanding cole slaw, and blue - ribbon desserts to be provided by Mike and Jennifer Obarr from Athens, being served up at noon Saturday. There's folks that shot last year that will probably be be coming back for the chow itself. Yep. It was that good.

Here's some details. There's about 40 slots remaining on 70 huntable acres. Attendees can show up Friday night, register, and camp near the fields. Camping is also available at the Corps of Engineers campground on nearby Lake Hartwell, so you can bring your boat and get some fishing in too. Cost: Donate whatever you want, with the knowledge that 90+% of what you contribute will go towards taking seriously - ill children on once - in - a - lifetime hunting or fishing trip. At the hunt, Steve will give us an update on recent adventures that kids have been on, including a turkey hunt this spring.

There will be a shotgun raffle. Steve is anticipating that attendees will receive raffle tickets based on the amount of their donation at registration. Ten bucks may get you two tickets, twenty may get you five, etc. Steve will firm those details up as the date gets closer.

Hartwell is in NE GA. Here's how to get to Steve's land from the south: I-85 N to Lavonia Exit (#173. GA Route 17). Go South on 17 maybe 6 miles to Bowersville, then turn left (east) onto GA 51. Go east maybe 11 miles into Hartwell. You will then be looking for South Webb Street close to the square in Hartwell. As you drive east on 51 into Hartwell, look for the red brick Methodist church on near right corner (SW quadrant of intersection with S Webb). Turn R here onto South Webb St. This becomes bowman highway (GA 172), go 2 miles south to field. Mapquest address of host is 2102 Bowman Highway. Harvested sunflower field will be on right behind 3 houses and a small weathered wood barn with a breezeway thru middle of it. Park in pasture on east side of paved road. 1 other field nearby.

following is a snip from a Georgia Outdoor Network post last year by Daryl Kirby:

--------------------------------------------------

The Outdoor Dream Foundation is a nationwide program, started in Anderson, S.C., that is taking kids that are terminally or seriously ill on hunting trips. This is basically a result of Make A Wish deciding to not honor hunting requests from sick children.

The Georgia board member is Stan Elrod, who is also a Sgt. with the DNR Law Enforcement section. They have already had several trips for kids from Georgia. They are having banquets and passing the hat around. For information, see the web site at www.outdoordreamfoundation.com or call Stan at (706) 795-9808.

"We're not like SEEDS, we're not touching a lot of people. But the ones that we have, we're not holding anything back," is what Stan just told me on the phone.
---------------------------------------------------

Sponsors include: Upstate Forklift and Truck Services, and Booth Enterprises.

Steve wants to cap attendance at 70 guns in order to not overload the fields, so please respond via an email to Dave Horton ( dhorton61@gmail.com) or to Steve Shaw at 706-436-6609 if you think chances are good that you'll be there. No commitment needed now, just trying to get a ballpark figure. This will help with meal planning also - we ended up with too much leftover food last year.

This probably goes without saying, but any type of volunteer help that attendees can provide will be appreciated. If you spot a need during the day (parkers, cooking, giving a kid some shooting pointers, cleanup, whatever), please step in and help out.

There will not be a drawing for stand locations, or minimum distances between hunters, or formal rotations around the field. Nobody will have claimed spots prior to showing up Saturday morning, it will be first come first served. Probably ain't gonna be anybody on a 4-wheeler running drinks to hunters. Participants are asked to use good judgement, shift around informally as needed if some parts of the fields are getting no action, and remember that this shoot is more for the kids, less for a chance for adults to get a limit of birds... Steve is proud of how conflict-free this shoot has been, and wants that trend to continue.

Also, if anybody has extra clay pigeons (or wants to donate a box) and a slinger, please bring them. That was a big lunchtime hit with the kids last year!

Give Steve a call if you have any questions.

Hunt safe and hope to see you there!

Dave Horton

I hope to be there. Jennifer has told me great things about Steve and his dove shoots. Can we reserve spots or is it strictly first-come, first-served. I have to work Friday night until after midnight, but I will be up bright and early Saturday morning for the chance at a good shoot with a good lunch.

georgiaboy

What time will the hunt kick off Saturday morning? I have 3 or 4 possible hunters right now.

Moose911

Is this first serve or can you reserve a few spots now?

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Answers

Sorry, folks. Been on the road all wekk, catching up on email.

Can reserve SLOTS out of the 32+/- openings left. Do so via email to me or call to Steve.

Can't reserve SPOTS on the field. It sounds like Steve is OK with folks starting to walk out to the fields from the parking and barn areas at dawn or so. I will try to get an exact time so everyone is on the same page.

Shooting will start at legal hours or walk-out time, whichever is later.

I have no idea on bird numbers at this point. It's not a managed dove field, it's an agricultural crop. Ask me again 5 days or 10 days after they harvest. Once the birds figure it out, I suspect they'll be there. No shortage of doves on the SC edge of GA.

Thanks for the interest and support!

I think that answers the q's raised. If not, ask again. Steve and I will be talking soon about more details.

D

Price is whatever you want to donate. From what I hear, it's usually an awesome shoot well worth a nice donation.

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Is this shoot just on Sat. or can you also hunt on Sunday.

Good Q, I don't know answer. I'll ask Steve next time we talk.

Slots going fast. If anyone wants in, jump on it.

dave

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Update

Here's the latest.

Steve hit the 70-hunter mark and called me yesterday to say that any other interested parties would have to go on a standby list. In fact, we may be a bit oversubscribed. One workaround here may be to pair up. Two shooters 10 yards apart, one with a tighter choke to try for the ones the other guy misses, possibly.

Anybody who had emailed me as a "maybe" will be put on the standby list. If you haven't already, or if you want to be put on the standby list, please email me your contact numbers so we can notify you if openings become available or if we access more land to put hunters on.

If any potential attendee finds out they have a schedule conflict that will stop them from attending, please let me or Steve know ASAP. I would guess that Steve would feel that if you had a "maybe" in your party, that person would have first dibs on that now-open slot.

Doves are starting to show up at the fields. These 70 acres will be some of the earliest-ripening sunflowers in Hart County, harvest anticipated to be within 7-14 days, we hope.

There is a possibility that there will be a later-season hunt over some later-planted sunflowers, so if you weren't lucky enough to get in on this shoot, stay tuned. And act fast if it comes together. A lot of folks didn't get slots on this shoot...

Answers to some of the questions that have been raised:

Hunters will be allowed to leave blinds, stools, etc. on the field Friday evening to claim spots. Walk to your spots as early as you like Sat AM, shooting can begin at legal hours.

Hunters under age 16 shoot free (but again, this is a voluntary-donation shoot, so if a youngster wants to put some of their allowance money towards helping a kid less fortunate than themselves, that's fine. A good character lesson in it for them.)

Sunday hunting will be allowed. Some folks have schedule conflicts, so Steve is allowing all attendees the option of shooting again Sunday.

Other details:

The caterers are donating their time and expertise. The ingredients have been mostly paid for by donors, but we're still a bit shy. Steve won't divert any proceeds money to cover expenses, so if folks want to kick in a bit more money and earmark it towards the ingredients, that would be super.

Shooters to be back at the barn by 11:15 AM for kids door prizes, raffle drawing for all who bought shotgun tix (must be 18 to buy ticket), a verbal report on ODF activities, a killer lunch, and skeet shooting for the young or young at heart.

Upcoming Outdoor Dream Foundation benefits:

Two Continental Pheasant shoots. Birds already reserved, date TBD. Location approx 7 miles from the dove shoot. One shoot will earn donors a one-year "Sponsor" label. Cost $350. 20 hunters, 10 stations, 150 pheasants to be thrown, rotate every 10 birds. One money bird with a 50:50 pot split. Excellent BBQ dinner that day.

Other pheasant shoot will be the same scenario, except no sponsorship designation, cost will be $200, only 100 birds.

A low country boil will be held in Anderson, SC at the Anderson County Fairgrounds on Sep 23, 2008 at 6 PM.

I expect tickets for these events will be available at the dove shoot.

Please spread the word and feel free to forward this post/email to any who might be interested in attending any of the above events, or a dove shoot in the second or third season.

Steve is looking forward to meeting some gentlemen at the dove shoot, previous attendees will have the opportunity to renew acquaintances from past shoots, and we'll all have the chance to enjoy fellowship with like-minded folks, eat a great meal, watch some kids break their first clay pigeons, and hopefully shoot some doves, all in the name of a worthy cause.

So let's be safe and have fun. I'll post/email more as the date gets closer or if any more details get locked in.

Thanks for your support!

dave

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Update 2

Lots of doves on the wires at the fields!! If they stick around, brace yourselves for a great shoot.

Steve had knee surgery a couple days ago, but continues to attend to details re the shoot.

Farmer's combine broke down, he bought a new one, delivery expected by Th of this week. Will take a day to "tune it" for sunflowers, harvest should be starting shortly thereafter. Harvest timing could be excellent for the shoot!

They got plenty of rain in the area from the storm, but that may work to our advantage. If anybody in the county had been pre-baiting fields with wheat, the rain would have swelled it and the doves would not be interested in it. So those birds may be moving to the sunflower fields.

Steve requests that attendees bring chairs for lunchtime. The ones he has access to are cushioned, and if there's any chance of rain, he might not be able to get hold of them.

A camouflaged Mossberg 835 is the raffle drawing prize for attendees. The number of tickets one receives accelerates up as one's donation amount goes up. For example, while a $30 contribution will get you 7 tickets, and $35 gets you 8, $40 will get you 10 chances at the gun, and so on.

I borrowed an electric skeet thrower from another GONetwork member, and the receiver-hitch-mounted one we used last year will also be available, so we may be able to set up two stations, so kids can get more practice in at lunchtime.

I'll probably update again before the shoot. I suggest attendees review the posts, print them out and bring with. Holler at Steve or me if any q's still not answered. I won't post my phone number, but will PM to any attendees I haven't already sent it to.

thanks,

dave

RamblinWreck

PM sent. Hoping for a spot for my son and I.

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Update 3

I'm about to head up to hartwell to help set up the big tent and put some limbs and brush in the middle of the fields so there will be plenty of shooting stations.

Here's a quick note before I leave.

Still seeing plenty of birds there. All 70+ acres are harvested, lots of seed on the ground, a fair amount has been brush-hogged.

There will be a safety meeting at 6:15 am Saturday. Steve asked me to post some of the items that will be covered.

One safety issue that will be covered is that driving along the perimeters of the fields will be limited to prior to 6:40 AM, from 11:15 AM to 2 PM, and after 7:15 PM. Please respect the farmer's land and don't drive out into the middles of the fields.

So you can drive friends and equipment out to the fields or pick them up for lunch during these times, return to the designated parking area in the pasture, leave your vehicle there and walk back.

there are a few adjacent houses, so hold your fire if shooting at a bird would result in shot raining down on one of them.

Be respectful of the farmer's land, fellow attendees, neighbors, no cussing, stop if/when you get your limit, no alcohol or illicit drugs on property, don't shoot at low birds.

May be another shoot later this year if everyone follows the rules and the farmer doesn't hear any complaints.

dave

Those rules sound good to me. I can't wait. My only problem is that I won't get in bed until after 1 a.m. and 4 a.m.'s gonna come awfully early. If I haven't limitted out by then, I can see myself sleeping in the truck for a couple hours after lunch until the afternoon flight.

bigox911

We (4 of us) will be up there tonight somewhere between 8 and 9:30. I'm thinkin about bringin the dutch oven and some makings for some cobbler if anyone would be interested.