Already preparing for the Ga, turkey season

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Any good turkey hunter knows the best way to get that ol gobbler is to be set up where he wants to be. I'm already checking that out and selecting where I will put a blind or blinds. I refuse to sit in the open anymore in SW Ga after watching my decoy being trashed by a bobcat once, and coyotes twice. I've also had bobcats attempt to sneak up on me while I was calling. Each time I let them know I was human and I saw them., Most got up and ran off. But one tom bobcat didn't like being fooled. He stood his ground for about a minute, then walked off spraying trees and bushes as he went. Another time while sitting against a pine on a nice soft bed of pine needles. A coral snake came up out of the pine needles right between my legs. At almost 81 years of age, I'm not as fast at getting up anymore, so I'll be sitting in a chair in a popup. Might even get a nap now and then without worry. Limit one per day, only two a season will crimp my style.

Attachments

• April032019b.jpg
    April032019b.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 58

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I hope to be out there come April 1st and will do all I can not to get any shot in the breast meat.

Buckman18

Son,

What is your opinion on the news regs and dates? Will it help? Hurt? Not make an impact?

My opinion is they won’t make an impact, good or bad in the mountains. Too much land never sees a hunter and it won’t matter, other than cutting my season.

A1C46157-762D-4783-A03B-A8F11DE9A5E1.jpeg

Swamprat

Swamprat
The new dates are just a panic mode from several states due to a “theory” from one individual who so far can’t back it up.

Another study has determined a later start date has no effect on poult recruitment, not theory but factual study.

Put a bounty or incentive to kill nest predators and the population will rebound quickley.

Timber companies who lease their land mainly to pay the taxes need to wake up and realize prescribed fire is not only a good management tool not just for wildlife but for the timber. Less non desirable species competing for soil nutrition helps the pine stand in the long run.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Son,

What is your opinion on the news regs and dates? Will it help? Hurt? Not make an impact?

My opinion is they won’t make an impact, good or bad in the mountains. Too much land never sees a hunter and it won’t matter, other than cutting my season.

View attachment 1205631
good picture

Swamprat

Swamprat
Also fire is the most effective vs cost management tool that is not utilized enough.

New growth for browse is a win for a lot of species.

For us the 2 week later hurts us, by about the 3rd week of April the birds are pretty much done but if you are in the mountains they can be wide open still.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
In my area, loss of habitat, predators and feral hogs are a problem. I've seen more turkeys in our woods this last year than ever before. I believe it's because they're being driven to us by the amount of lands being cleared for pasture and farms. We're doing all we can to help the turkeys by planting things birds like along with our food plots. Staying on top of the hog problem and taking predators as the law allows. I don't think shortening the season, nor reducing the limit will help anything. But it will give less chance to hunt for those who have few days off to hunt. Turkeys need water and food. If either isn't available, they travel. Of course I'm not an expert, just an old hunter.

Attachments

• roadthree.jpg
    roadthree.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 28

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Turkeys thrive in open pasture land , from my experience anyway! Good luck Son

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m not sure opening the season two weeks later will help. But I’m glad to see something being done about the population decline. Rather it works or not at least someone is trying.
As much as I didn’t like it I have to agree with this .

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Waiting on April 1st, and better weather. past couple seasons, turkeys disappeared about two weeks before the season opened. Hope they hang around this year or I'll be getting plenty naps in a blind. Seasons I don't see many, I usually try and get one, then quit. Photo improves a post.

Attachments

• turkey3roda.jpg
    turkey3roda.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 10

cj580guitar

Waiting on April 1st, and better weather. past couple seasons, turkeys disappeared about two weeks before the season opened. Hope they hang around this year or I'll be getting plenty naps in a blind. Seasons I don't see many, I usually try and get one, then quit. Photo improves a post.
Seems last few years my birds seem to change their patterns around March 15th.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
After all the years hunting, I continue to stick with the old cedar box calls. I have ten or them or more that a friend made for me. It's nice to have a friend who loves wood working.

Attachments

• Spurs.jpg
    Spurs.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 12

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Looks as though we might have wet woods this spring, that should help keep the turkeys around. Last couple years, we were dry during turkey season. Only had three hens nesting on our land and all three were caught by predators, or had the nest busted up. Anyway, they left. I had cameras monitoring several roads to keep me informed, doing the same this year. Old photo, I like to take youngsters hunting. This was in Macon Co. Al.

Attachments

• Almacon .jpg
    Almacon .jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 14