Aluminum Boat Leak

Sling

I have a G3 1860. I took it out yesterday only to discover it was taking on water. I brought it home and and let bottom dry, then began filling with water. Nothing. Just dry. However, once the water level got above the aerator it started pouring out. Is this normal or could water be leaking in around that? Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Dupree

I have an G3 1860. I took it out yesterday only to discover it was taking on water. I brought it home and and let bottom dry, then began filling with water. Nothing. Just dry. However, once the water level got above the aerator it started pouring out. Is this normal or could water be linking in around that? Any other ideas?
I’d just break the fitting loose, clean it up, then reseal it real good.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
If the 'aerator' runs water from an intake, yes definitely. ( Or does it recirculate water only?)
Tight the hose clamps and check for rotten hoses, back it into the water.
Don't even have to take it off the trailer to check it.

Sling

If the 'aerator' runs water from an intake, yes definitely. ( Or does it recirculate water only?)
Tight the hose clamps and check for rotten hoses, back it into the water.
Don't even have to take it off the trailer to check it.
It pulls water from the outside

1eyefishing

First thing I would check would be the hoses.

1eyefishing

I'm guessing that the water level was above the intake when it started leaking...

If you had an extra man to help, you could get an eyeball on the area while somebody else backed you in the water and you could probably see real quick...

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Plug the raw water intake and fill live well with water from a garden hose. Should be able to determine if it is anything to do with the live well system.
Then check the bilge pump system by plugging the boat drain and filling transom area with enough water only to operate the bilge pump to see if any leaks in that system.
Check bolts around the boat motor mounting hardware to make sure that none have come loose.

Sling

I was trying to post this picture on my first post. The filled boat only leaked out where aerator intake is, once the water inside got above the unit. It is on the back at transom.
Also how do I remove the screen? It doesn’t seem to unscrew.

Attachments

• IMG_6778.jpeg
    IMG_6778.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
On my Express there was a clip I needed to push out of the way. My guess is your pump needs replacing unless the pump and motor have become separated

hipster dufus

I guess I didn't make my point well, I tried a couple times to find my leak by filling boat, it didn't become visible till I raised bow extremely high. Maybe crack flexed. Both were readily apparent when i raised bow.

Sling

Ok I’ve tried all those mentioned. Backed slowly into water - nothing. Filled with water, raised and lowered bow. Nothing. Launched and powered up - here comes water, looks like flowing front to back. Next I’ll jack it up and put 2x4s across trailer bunks so I can see those areas.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Ok I’ve tried all those mentioned. Backed slowly into water - nothing. Filled with water, raised and lowered bow. Nothing. Launched and powered up - here comes water, looks like flowing front to back. Next I’ll jack it up and put 2x4s across trailer bunks so I can see those areas.
Sounds like you have a leak up near the bow. Is the any rivets or any kind of openings in the hull like a live well drain? It seems if it is just floating it doesn’t but up on plane it does? Water beating against the hull will find it’s way in.

Sling

Sounds like you have a leak up near the bow. Is the any rivets or any kind of openings in the hull like a live well drain? It seems if it is just floating it doesn’t but up on plane it does? Water beating against the hull will find it’s way in.
No rivets, welded. And the trailer bunks are so far back I've looked at that the forward half pretty well. But yes, I believe that the water is being forced in when under power.

Sling

Ok folks I finally got to take it back to the ramp and after a few back ins I located the leak. The line going from the aerator (live well intake) on the transom to the live well up front has a leak. So water was coming in through that line and leaking out into the boat after it got under the floor, that's why couldn't see it. I turned on the aerator and water poured into the boat. It must've froze and split back during the really cold week around 01/19. Thanks for all your suggestions!

1eyefishing

Ok folks I finally got to take it back to the ramp and after a few back ins I located the leak. The line going from the aerator (live well intake) on the transom to the live well up front has a leak. So water was coming in through that line and leaking out into the boat after it got under the floor, that's why couldn't see it. I turned on the aerator and water poured into the boat. It must've froze and split back during the really cold week around 01/19. Thanks for all your suggestions!
If you're gonna go buy new hose and clamps etc, you might want to get a little t-valve to put near the pump where you can reach it to drain the line next winter?